Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old December 18th, 2008, 02:28 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I merged it with the other thread about the same topic and it went to the wrong destination section of the forum - thanks for noticing it and pointing it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2008, 02:44 PM
SOUTHPAW26
Kelly
1994 D90-1993 NAS 110#280

No prob. I just wanted to make sure that I had posted it correctly to begin with.
Old December 18th, 2008, 03:05 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Here is the response I got about it having a clutch pedal

"we thought it would be an easier sell in the US with the auto.... The 90's sell better with the auto. It can be changed back."

130 grand and converted to an auto. Now we know why it is special. I was going to put my 110 back to a manual but I think I will just sell it for $100k since it is an auto and should be much easier to sell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2008, 03:12 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsteil
Here is the response I got about it having a clutch pedal

"we thought it would be an easier sell in the US with the auto.... The 90's sell better with the auto. It can be changed back."

130 grand and converted to an auto. Now we know why it is special. I was going to put my 110 back to a manual but I think I will just sell it for $100k since it is an auto and should be much easier to sell.
So, I don't know a ton about pricing 110's north of 1993 (even 1993's, too), so what should this be priced at?
$35,000? $50,000? And since you'd probably be taking a risk on this ending up in the impound lot, shouldn't it get discounted because of that? I mean, you're not buying a Mclaren F1 here.. it's not *that* exclusive. What does everyone think? Is this guy insane or just trying to bluff his way into an absurd price?
Old December 18th, 2008, 03:35 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Insane
Bluff
and a guy that doesn't feel bad screwing people. Just because you might be able to get someone dumb to buy something doesn't mean you should.

Old December 18th, 2008, 03:53 PM
golden747
Tim Golden
Defender 130

I tried to buy that car last year at a GSA sale in DC when it was in pieces but it brought crazy money. it wont be seized because the government built a title for it and sold it themselves.
Old December 18th, 2008, 04:05 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden747
I tried to buy that car last year at a GSA sale in DC when it was in pieces but it brought crazy money. it wont be seized because the government built a title for it and sold it themselves.
So it sounds like a Nixonian-type issue.. if the government does it, it's somehow ok. Regardless of whether it's against the current laws. LOL.
Old December 18th, 2008, 04:08 PM
SOUTHPAW26
Kelly
1994 D90-1993 NAS 110#280

IMO that truck is not worth more than $35k. And that price would only be good if somehow it was titled legitimately as a 2002. One thing I do not like about it is that its a two door. I just would much rather have the four doors. But someone out there probably will pay north of 35k for it. I think it may bring in the 50's.
Old December 18th, 2008, 04:13 PM
golden747
Tim Golden
Defender 130

thats the wonderful thing about our government. i would say in the past 12 years ive been in the land rover scene, ive seen no less than 10 non nas trucks that have government replacement vins or titles.
ive never seen a squashed defender...and why would they squash it if all they have to do is title it and sell it back to us for crazy money?
Old December 18th, 2008, 04:46 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry

Its a Semi Automatic

Old December 18th, 2008, 05:52 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden747
and why would they squash it if all they have to do is title it and sell it back to us for crazy money?
Well, that's my issue. If it's somehow against EPA/DOT/NHTSA regulations, what is the governments motivation to retitle and resell? If a newer LR is considered "unsafe" for U.S. use by whatever existing laws, how can they do it?

Hope I'm not opening up a discussion that has been covered 100x times before.
Old December 18th, 2008, 09:06 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

Dude- You are preaching to the choir!! The FBI is always importing NEW 110's and having armor plating work done to them. They circumvent the "law" by having them shipped in parts and then reassembled.
Why then (is the cosmic quest) if a truck is good enough for our (we the people) employees (since we do employee the FBI ... they are paid from our tax dollars!), then why is it not good enough for us?

Any way, the price is not way off for what I have heard being kicked around about trucks of this mystic. The real killer on this truck is that it is a 3 door.
The only dog about the auto tranny is that with a TDi, that truck is going to go from 0-60 in like a minute and a half!!

I don't know, ... any how ... bet it sells for over 90K anyway. Some rich rancher in Montana will probably purchase it and never even register it. He'll just use it to traverse his 10,000 acre ranch and haul grain and hunting gear.

Just my take.

D
Old December 18th, 2008, 09:24 PM
golden747
Tim Golden
Defender 130

the truck sold for 31000 but it was in parts so theres no teliing what they paid to put it together. i like 3 doors but they dont bring the money of a 5 door.
Old December 18th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Well if it started as a pallet of parts as Tim says and the guy left a clutch pedal in situ and built an automatic truck- I wouldn't even want to see the rest of his work. Its just too simple to remove that pedal bucket and cover the hole with a riveted or welded on plate. I'd say that's a major "telltale" of the quality of workmanship to be encountered.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 18th, 2008, 09:34 PM
golden747
Tim Golden
Defender 130

not to get off the subject but i have a 110 that is RHD and i want 2 make it LHD. any advice on where to send it and how much?
Old December 18th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Tim- shoot me an email
I have done a couple.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 20th, 2008, 09:51 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
Well if it started as a pallet of parts as Tim says and the guy left a clutch pedal in situ and built an automatic truck- I wouldn't even want to see the rest of his work. Its just too simple to remove that pedal bucket and cover the hole with a riveted or welded on plate. I'd say that's a major "telltale" of the quality of workmanship to be encountered.
Just out of my own curiosity (and the fact that I love the 110's and will get one eventually), I wrote to the seller via Ebay. I asked him what the deal was with the legality of the car and you can see his answer below.. Which is a clear indicator that whoever wins this vehicle will probably have myriad unknown issues with which to wrangle. Good times:

"Dear advantagemotorsusa,

How is this vehicle legal in the U.S.? How was it legally registered in the U.S.?

- smob"

"Dear smob,

That I can't tell you. What I can tell you is that it is registered & it is legal! Good luck bidding.

- advantagemotorsusa

Old December 20th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Question

I thought 300 Tdi motors mated with an automatic required an ECU, i.e. so the motor knows the shift points.

Old December 20th, 2008, 03:14 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
I thought 300 Tdi motors mated with an automatic required an ECU, i.e. so the motor knows the shift points.
No, only the discovery auto Tdi's had ETC (electronic throttle control), gave about 120bhp to accomoate the losses from the autobox.

Some Defenders (and pre ETC) disco's did have EGR...exhaust gas recycling, a valve on the exhaust manifold that allowed the exgaist gas to be re-burnt by the engine, this did have an ECU fitted (on defenders, in between the seats) but if you unplugged it, the engine still ran.

most people over here just remove the whole lot and bin it.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 01:13 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

7 bids so far, still 100K below is buy it now price ...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Tags
110, defender 110, ebay, tdi