1999 110 in Orange County CA - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old April 22nd, 2011, 08:51 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

I have read so many posts on importing a vehicle and all the difficulties involved, so how was this legally imported?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2011, 09:43 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf110 View Post
Def a Maaco paint job. I saw this 110 in person at The British Garage in San Diego back in 2008. Used it quite a bit for reference on my 110 build. It sat there for a few months. Two guys bought it from a lady in LA with the intention of starting a business doing Bio conversions. They bought a Td5 Bio conversion kit from Germany but never installed it. They couldn't make the business happen and sold the truck a few months later. The truck arrived in SD with the crappy paint job. They painted over everything, even the Td5 stickers. That hose everyone is asking about is from an A/C system I have never seen before. It had some DOT plates that replaced the original VIN plate, stating it was a legally imported vehicle.
I guess what you are saying is that it takes a conversion kit to have a TD5 run on Bio. If you look at the owners manuals and service manuals it is not recommended for the TD5 (I guess the kit helps this).

Thank you for the clarification on the A/C hose. I guess it could be possible that A/C was added to the truck after it left the factory but that is not where the hoses/pipes are on a TD5. It does not make too much sense because that is directly above the turbo and I would think that that would be the last place to put an insulated pipe.

------ Follow up post added April 22nd, 2011 09:45 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
I have read so many posts on importing a vehicle and all the difficulties involved, so how was this legally imported?
Somebody knew somebody at DMV if I had to guess... I played dumb at DMV once (In Bergen County) and it would be very surprising what you could accomplish if you are nice to the little old ladies.

Whether it is legal or not is a different issue.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:19 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I should have said you need to set the engine up for biodiesel as the manual states not to run it as it adversely can affect seals. Anyway if you look at the eBay ad the truck seemed to come in legally. Once here most dmvs don't care about the year. Ca might be an issue though as 99 does not make it smogg exempt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:37 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

My 300tdi required zero modification. In fact, all newish engines don't. The only change needed is to switch old rubber fuel hoses to new synthetic ones. That's it. Unless the vehicle is really old it should already have synthetic hoses. All car manufacturers make a blanket statement for biofuels for liability reasons even though they haven't tested it. The enthusiast have much more experience with this than the car makers.

Sorry to be hijacking and harping on this. Just looking to separate fact from fiction and prevent perpetuating false rumors that have no facts to back them up.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:47 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

You are right I am no expert and if you use it, you would know more than me. I guess I was told it eats rubber hoses and seals. Why would you run biodiesel anyway? Environment? There is a station by my office and the price is the same as regular diesel so I have to wonder.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 01:10 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Running bio is less about the environment than it is about reducing dependence on imported oil. If the govt would kick ethanol off the subsidy tit, support bio and SVO production and LPG/CPG conversion for gasoline engines, the US could cut back on imported oil fast.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old April 22nd, 2011, 02:59 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Many reasons. It reduces emissions by about 70%. It is about as toxic as table salt so inhaling fumes or spilling in on yourself is not as bad as dino. It is domestic which is better because it not only creates jobs but it is also more resilient to price hikes from volatile international supply issues and you're not dependent on foreign countries to provide it. It is renewable (as opposed to dino which is finite and is going to run out sooner than we think). Waste oil can be used to produce it. Here in OR Kettle Chips makes BD out of all their waste oil. Old rubber seals aside it is very good for the engine. No sulphur and other additives are needed. It is very solvent and it removes deposits from your engine. B20 outperformed all other fuel additives in a recent test so you don't need fuel additives to prevent deposits. B100 is an excellent substitute for a chemical diesel flush. It used to be more expensive but prices are coming down. It smells better. It has a higher flash point which is safer in that respect. What else. Did I miss anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
You are right I am no expert and if you use it, you would know more than me. I guess I was told it eats rubber hoses and seals. Why would you run biodiesel anyway? Environment? There is a station by my office and the price is the same as regular diesel so I have to wonder.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 03:57 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

That all sounds good but I still dont get the price. It is the same price as regular diesel here.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 04:18 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
That all sounds good but I still dont get the price. It is the same price as regular diesel here.
What's not to get? All that for the same price. Even potentially much less in the long run.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 04:34 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I actually don't know. This is what I read about running it in a new truck

The older the diesel engine (unless you get into unit injection like the TD5) the lower the injection pressure.

Biodiesel fuels break down under extremes of heat and pressure and lose their lubricity.

If your injectors are perfectly clean - then this isn't a problem, but if you get any "crud" in the injectors (and I'm talking crud with the dimensions of microns) then the loss of lubricity becomes a problem and the "crud" will deposit itself in the injector. Once it gets started it will attract more and more "crud" and eventually you get injector problems...

Higher pressure injectors have finer internal tolerances than lower pressure injectors in an old school diesel like, a TDI, and the tolerances in the injectors are wide, combined with lower injection pressures, so for starters the fuel doesn't break down and any deposits won't clog the injector. In modern common rail injected diesel engines, the internal injector tolerances are much finer and the injection pressure is much greater than the cracking pressure of the fuel so you will get deposits...

This is why the manual that came with your truck tells you in plain English - not to be run on biodiesel concentrations >5%.

I honestly no nothing about this stuff but if there is so much written both ways I would worry about it causing an issue.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 06:21 PM
kevkon
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post

Somebody knew somebody at DMV if I had to guess... I played dumb at DMV once (In Bergen County) and it would be very surprising what you could accomplish if you are nice to the little old ladies.

Whether it is legal or not is a different issue.

DMV I could understand, but how do you get this through customs with a bond and all? Is there some type of exclusion for special purposes?
Old April 22nd, 2011, 08:32 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Barry,

This is incorrect. There is no evidence to support that BD breaks down and loose lubricity. BD actually has a higher cetane number than regular diesel. There are other issues with using higher concentration BD in newer engines but for different reasons. Automakers are already correcting this. The new GM Duramax Engine is certified B20 compatible (http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...b/0208_duramax) as is the new Ford Superduty Powerstroke engine. (http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=32216). Caterpillar, Cummins and others are also supporting B20. Biodiesel has been used commercially in Europe for over 15 years and the Department of Defense is the single largest purchaser of biodiesel in the U.S.

Here's some good Fact vs Myth links:

http://www.crimsonrenewable.com/mythvfact.php

http://gas2.org/2008/04/10/biodiesel...spelled/#myth6

http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/f...s/default.shtm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I actually don't know. This is what I read about running it in a new truck

The older the diesel engine (unless you get into unit injection like the TD5) the lower the injection pressure.

Biodiesel fuels break down under extremes of heat and pressure and lose their lubricity.

If your injectors are perfectly clean - then this isn't a problem, but if you get any "crud" in the injectors (and I'm talking crud with the dimensions of microns) then the loss of lubricity becomes a problem and the "crud" will deposit itself in the injector. Once it gets started it will attract more and more "crud" and eventually you get injector problems...

Higher pressure injectors have finer internal tolerances than lower pressure injectors in an old school diesel like, a TDI, and the tolerances in the injectors are wide, combined with lower injection pressures, so for starters the fuel doesn't break down and any deposits won't clog the injector. In modern common rail injected diesel engines, the internal injector tolerances are much finer and the injection pressure is much greater than the cracking pressure of the fuel so you will get deposits...

This is why the manual that came with your truck tells you in plain English - not to be run on biodiesel concentrations >5%.

I honestly no nothing about this stuff but if there is so much written both ways I would worry about it causing an issue.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 09:03 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Good stuff. In cold climates you may have to use a pre-heater for the bio. Only downside I see.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:17 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

As I said I really know nothing about it but from what you say it sounds good. It is odd this debate is all over the place is if the fact is it is there no downside. The stuff I posted was cut and pasted from another board.
Old April 24th, 2011, 10:51 AM
kevkon
kevin

Still curious as to how one can import this vehicle "legally".
Old April 25th, 2011, 11:33 AM
golden747
Tim Golden
Defender 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
Still curious as to how one can import this vehicle "legally".
This truck came in the country about 6 years ago. I bought it along with 4 other trucks from the same guy. All of the trucks had metal stamped plating that said "this vehicle meets all epa and dot requirements" I sold the car in 07 to Carolyn Murphy "famous supermodel'' who i quess sold it to this guy. It was supposedly a lot easier to get a truck in the country before 2006.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 25th, 2011, 12:13 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden747 View Post
This truck came in the country about 6 years ago. I bought it along with 4 other trucks from the same guy. All of the trucks had metal stamped plating that said "this vehicle meets all epa and dot requirements" I sold the car in 07 to Carolyn Murphy "famous supermodel'' who i quess sold it to this guy. It was supposedly a lot easier to get a truck in the country before 2006.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:6,s:0

Nice.
Old April 25th, 2011, 12:23 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Thanks Tom...just opened that at work...what was that, Mr. Skin or something?

I thought you were posting the original listing for the truck back when he had it.

For others, that link isn't too safe for work!
Old April 25th, 2011, 01:05 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

HA! It is not that bad.

It is a nice truck based on the questions in the aucion there seems to be a lot if interest. Even from a guy named Mike in Massachusettes. I don't believe the upper 20's for MPG though. I would guess 23 would be a safe number.
Old April 25th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Raleigh D90
Ben
Somewhere Across Town

Please do others a favor and label this NSFW. I shouldn't even be on the forum, but this is that much worse.

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Tags
110, orange county