Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old March 11th, 2009, 07:15 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
1997 D90 on Cars.com

No idea about this one, just saw it on cars.com. Looks nice, apparently has a rack.. Love the portofino red.. $23k OBO..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2009, 07:32 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Do you consider a mysteriously missing roll cage to be a component of "nice"? Guaranteed the "roof rack not shown in pix" is not a stock Safety Devices one, since there are not mounting holes for the ladder drilled in the rear body. Makes you wonder if the PO removed the rack to fit a gutter-rail mounted rack. Also, I can't see the holes in the top for the roll cage bolts - wonder if they were filled or the roof has been replaced - if so, why. I call it a big-fat non-nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 11th, 2009, 07:38 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Do you consider a mysteriously missing roll cage to be a component of "nice"? Guaranteed the "roof rack not shown in pix" is not a stock Safety Devices one, since there are not mounting holes for the ladder drilled in the rear body. Makes you wonder if the PO removed the rack to fit a gutter-rail mounted rack. Also, I can't see the holes in the top for the roll cage bolts - wonder if they were filled or the roof has been replaced - if so, why. I call it a big-fat non-nice.
Bit cranky today?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

It's tough to see in the pics, but in the first one, it looks like there is some white tape over the Roll Cage holes in the roof. Could be that what they are calling the roof rack is actually the Original Roll Cage. It may have been removed in order to clear a garage door or something. My guess would be either that, or like Jim said, to fit a roof rack, but I don't know who would trade it in like that...
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:58 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
NO, NOT CRANKY!

No, just hate seeing trucks with "got mud?" stickers on the back...

Anyway, Andrew has a good point, the cage might be the "rack."

Either way, its sounds like the PO was dumb and so is the seller. Avoid.

Old March 11th, 2009, 08:02 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Just poking fun Jim. If the cage is the rack I wonder why it would be taken off if it was not damaged. How much clearence would it save? Price is not that bad if all the parts are there and no rust. 23k for a 97 does not seem that far off to me even in this market. Am I way off?
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:28 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
It wouldn't save any clearance at all, so its hard to imagine why its off.

Price is probably OK if its not a POS, miles aren't exactly low.

Old March 11th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
It wouldn't save any clearance at all, so its hard to imagine why its off.
Good point, I was thinking of the one on my 110 that adds a few inches to the overall height, but on a 90 the bars don't go over the roof anywhere. Who knows!
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:44 PM
minorthreat
Lance
1997 LE, 1997 Black ST

I don't think many trucks are changing hands these days. I think there is a gap between what sellers think their rigs are worth vs. what sellers are actually willing to pay. A quick glance at ebay completed listings will tell that story. It will also show some weird outliers, (e.g. mid-high mileage 94's & 95's that getting to $30k and salvage title trucks hitting $15k+,neither meeting reserve--likely shill bidding). Sellers are very afraid of no/low reserve auctions right now. In that situation, I think the red truck with no cage would not fetch more than $19k... and that might be a generous estimation.
Old March 11th, 2009, 09:24 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Ow, ok, ok.. I get the point. I don't have enough experience to make snap assessments. Again, not associated with it, always liked the color.
Old March 11th, 2009, 09:32 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I was a little harsh!

Old March 11th, 2009, 09:35 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
I was a little harsh!
No worries, I *know* that I can't make the judgements that others can make, but that's why I come here.. You know, to lurrn..
Old March 11th, 2009, 10:53 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

GOT MUD stickers were sold by CVC.

http://www.gotmud.org/
Old March 11th, 2009, 10:59 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Doh!
Old March 11th, 2009, 11:09 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry

Follow-up Post:

I've gotten to do something about this dry wit, its not coming across in the forum so well

Old March 12th, 2009, 11:26 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Happens to me too. Sarcasm is difficult to convey over the internet.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Tags
1997, 1997 d90, 90, 97, 97 d90, d90