Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 24th, 2014, 06:20 PM
1989 110SW 1 of 2,000,000
1989 UMM Alter 2

Not Mine
Found this on Craigslist

1989 UMM Alter 2 - Diesel 5-speed 4x4 like Unimog, Pinzgauer, Hummer - $8900 (St. Johns )

1989 UMM Alter 2 odometer: 122 manual transmission title : clean

I have here a very rare unit in the USA - This is an 'UMM ALTER II' - It is a Portugese 'Jeep' and is somewhat common in Southern Europe and used as farm vehicles, police trucks, Ambulances, etc etc.

The top DOES come off, so you will have a convertible if you want when the sunny days are here. Engine is a 'front mid engine' with the 4-cylinder diesel engine set well behind the front axle (and actually bulges into passenger compartment slightly like a Citroen) for excellent weight distribution and balance, and less oversteer.

Engine is a Peugeot 2.5L diesel and it gets great mileage. Running gear (transmission/ transfer case, axles and maybe leaf springs) are all US Jeep CJ parts, so most things are easy to find and replace. What is NOT going to be easy to replace would be body parts like hood, bumpers, and fenders. Fortunately most everything is flat and would be easy to fix, and there is a strong parts supply in Europe.

This truck starts, runs and drives just great. Starts right up from cold and shifts through all gears easily and stops as it should. Interior could use a good cleaning, and there is a small oil leak from the transmission.

There is some rust in the door bottoms (but not in the frame) and a few panels under the hood. If one were to want to keep this forever, a cosmetic restoration would be in order.

You can find out more about the UMM Here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMM_Alter_II , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMM_Alter_II

And there are a lot of videos of them running around here :

I enjoy this rig quite a bit, but have a big collection of cool European cars and may have to cull the herd a bit for an upcoming house purchase. I am not desperate to sell this and am not going to take much less than I am asking. I will however give up to $2500 in trade credit towards a Citroen , Range Rover Classic, Land Rover Series project, Pinzgauer Unimog or Classic Saab 900 turbo. Also interested in Moto Guzzi, BMW airhead, or Porsche 911/ 912 / 928. Would also love to have an Argosy or Airstream trailer.

:O [==] O:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market