Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old February 23rd, 2015, 10:50 PM
Cal
Cal Thompson
1987/110 3 door ExMod

Registry
1989 rhd exmod 2.5na

So I pulled the trigger on my dream truck about 6 months ago and almost immediately had engine issues. I waited 6 months for parts to come in and when they finally got here it's still not running. I just got married and bought a house so finances are'nt well at the moment. My options now are to find a cheap way to do an engine swap or to sell her. The problem I'm having now is that I have defender that isn't driving, but I don't know what I should price it.

2.5na diesel 158k kilometers, Lt77, Salisbury's, wolf's with brand new tires... (It's a standard mod 110)
I hand stripped all of the green paint of (took forever) and replaced it with a quick few coats of black rustoleum as a cheap, easily removable fix until I could afford a real paint job.

I would like to keep it, but people are telling me a swap would cost upwards of $12k.

Is there anything I could swap in for under $5000 or am I just out of luck?

If there isn't, what is a decent price to list a complete but non running exmod with the CARC removed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2015, 11:14 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Has she been inspected/troubleshot by a mechanic?
Old February 23rd, 2015, 11:20 PM
Cal
Cal Thompson
1987/110 3 door ExMod

Registry
No she hasn't. There's a thread about what's been going on. http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ues-56563.html
If I can't do a swap and any prospective sale price is too low, I'll get her checked out. Otherwise I don't feel like it's worth burning any more money on the 2.5na.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2015, 11:24 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...-up-37409.html
Old February 23rd, 2015, 11:25 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Interested in a low mile green MOD rebuilt engine ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 23rd, 2015, 11:48 PM
Cal
Cal Thompson
1987/110 3 door ExMod

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I read through the whole thread, I'm uncertain how this relates. I assume you are saying I should do a 200tdi swap? That is one of the things I looked into. It seems that it's a real gamble as to if any tdi I find will have any life left, even if I could magically find one cheap enough to consider. I also worry about the rarity of parts in the us. (something I have experience with from my 2.5na). So that is an unlikely avenue for me.
Old February 23rd, 2015, 11:53 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
What are you willing to do exactly? Which engines are you considering swapping to before you've even had your current one properly diagnosed? If you're willing to do nothing yourself, then sure it's going to be a higher number than if you put some real effort into this.
Old February 23rd, 2015, 11:53 PM
Cal
Cal Thompson
1987/110 3 door ExMod

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Sorry, for the price of buying, shipping, and swapping in another 2.5na, I could probably just have mine rebuilt for a ton less hassle and probably less money. As of now a 2.5na isn't worth putting any money in to me since power is so low and parts are so expensive. Also my engine was "mod rebuilt" too, so I don't have much faith in that any more.

Any swap I'm looking to do is with a more US accessible engine such as an LS.
Old February 24th, 2015, 12:05 AM
Cal
Cal Thompson
1987/110 3 door ExMod

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
What are you willing to do exactly? Which engines are you considering swapping to before you've even had your current one properly diagnosed? If you're willing to do nothing yourself, then sure it's going to be a higher number than if you put some real effort into this yourself.
You misunderstand. I never once said I would do nothing myself. I have spent 6 months under the hood diagnosing and replacing parts. The reason I don't want to take it to a shop is because I can't justify spending any more money on an engine that is seriously underpowered and expensive to find parts for.

Ideally I would want to find something suitable that is readily availie in the us like an LS or small block or something. If I do an engine swap, I will be doing almost all of the labor myself with the help of some usmc motor-t friends.

Also as I said, if I can't find a suitable swap to do, and i can't sell it for too outrageous of a loss, then I will certainly try to work with what I've got, but there really isn't much money in the budget for an engine I know I won't want even when it's fixed.

We're digressing from the original reason this is in the flea market and not tech: What would a good price point be?
Old February 24th, 2015, 12:07 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
PM coming
Old February 24th, 2015, 07:39 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
You misunderstand. I never once said I would do nothing myself. I have spent 6 months under the hood diagnosing and replacing parts. The reason I don't want to take it to a shop is because I can't justify spending any more money on an engine that is seriously underpowered and expensive to find parts for. Ideally I would want to find something suitable that is readily availie in the us like an LS or small block or something. If I do an engine swap, I will be doing almost all of the labor myself with the help of some usmc motor-t friends. Also as I said, if I can't find a suitable swap to do, and i can't sell it for too outrageous of a loss, then I will certainly try to work with what I've got, but there really isn't much money in the budget for an engine I know I won't want even when it's fixed. We're digressing from the original reason this is in the flea market and not tech: What would a good price point be?
Ok well people (including myself) were providing you with options on how to swap for within your budget and get you on the road and you poo-poo'd them all so I was just trying to figure out what you are willing to do instead of us all just giving you options that are turned down. Regarding the LS conversion, have you reached out to the people who have already done them and seen where they came in within your budget?
The thread I posted was an engine swap to a 200tdi and the original poster then sold that truck and bought a newer Toyota Land Cruiser. As of a few months ago, the LC died but his old D90 is still chugging along. Chris snell also did a TDI swap (can't recall if it was 200 or 300) in his Tithonus; he's out your way sort of. Not sure if it came within your budget though, plus you've already said you wouldn't want to do that swap.
Old February 24th, 2015, 07:48 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:

Any swap I'm looking to do is with a more US accessible engine such as an LS.
Not going to happen at your price point. The motor, trans would take up half your budget for a decent higher mile example. Adapters and other parts required to fit cost about what your budget is.

Plan about 8k min for an ls swap doing the work yourself.

Your best bet is to find a cheap good running 2.5 to put in if your motor is really toast and sell it as a running vehicle or you will take a beating on the price for a non runner with a bad motor.

You MIGHT be able to put a rover V8 in for your price if you find a setup for cheap.
Old February 24th, 2015, 09:27 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
My options now are to find a cheap way to do an engine swap or to sell her. The problem I'm having now is that I have defender that isn't driving, but I don't know what I should price it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Quote:
Sorry, for the price of buying, shipping, and swapping in another 2.5na, I could probably just have mine rebuilt for a ton less hassle and probably less money. As of now a 2.5na isn't worth putting any money in to me since power is so low and parts are so expensive.
I cannot imagine you'll get much without an engine, or without it running. I have no idea what a 2.5NA goes for, and I don't want to step on anyone's toes by hazarding a guess, but I've seen them advertised VERY low, because most people have the same opinion of them as you. If you are looking to dump the truck, the cheapest option is going to be either fixing what you've got or putting someone else's 2.5NA in it, and then selling it as a running driving vehicle.
Old February 24th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Himalaya
Mark WS
1995 Nas, 86 D110, 97 Hummer H1

Or I would be willing to buy as is. Give me a price for you to dump it.
Old February 24th, 2015, 10:51 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Here are a couple of observations that I hope might be helpful.

First, if you are waiting 6 months for parts, you need to be shopping elsewhere. Most any part you might want for these can be shipped from the UK such that you'll have it in a week. Yes, parts can be more expensive than for other makes, but not ridiculously so.

As mentioned, a 200tdi will bolt right in to replace your 2.5na. No fabrication is required. That can't be said for any other swap. I think you can do a 200tdi swap within your budget, provided you do all the work and assuming you are ok with a used engine rather than one that has been remanufactured.

Your 110 if in presentable condition would probably worth about $10k, and perhaps a bit more, if it were running. Not running, I think the price goes way down.

If you fix the 2.5na then you can drive it while looking for the 200tdi, and you'll have a running 2.5na to sell when your swap is done. That would be worth spending a few hundred bucks on parts I would think, and you'd be gaining experience that will be helpful to you down the road.

I don't think there are any other reasonable swaps out there from a price standpoint. The Chevy swap while nice would cost so much $$ that you'll never recoup that on lower priced parts.
Old February 24th, 2015, 11:03 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Yup. As Mike and I have said, if you are replacing the engine, then replacing it with a 2.5na will be cheapest, followed by 200tdi. Otherwise you're looking at far more effort. We want you to keep the truck, so we're all giving you sound advice from what I can see, and telling you what we know to be the easiest and cheapest options to get you back on the road quickly.
Old February 25th, 2015, 07:40 AM
kjva
Ken Jackson
1985 110 Wagon

I agree with the comment change your parts supplier personally I consider 6 days a long time.
The cheapest route is fix the engine you have.
The 2.5 is a simple engine and there are plenty around.
If the head and block are good with some simple diagnostics as outlined in the other thread it should run.
Old March 5th, 2015, 05:48 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Cal any updates?
Old March 9th, 2015, 10:33 PM
Cal
Cal Thompson
1987/110 3 door ExMod

Registry
Sorry, I wasn't able to respond for a while. As of now I'm pricing out what else is needed to make this engine run. I don't like the idea of putting any more money into it, but the general (read overwhelming) consensus is to fix her. At my budget, it sounds like that may be my only option. I may not like it, but I didn't ask you all to give me a bull$#!+ answer and I actually am listening. As of now I plan to begrudgingly get this thing running, and to save up for a new engine. This gives me the benefit of having more time to save up for another engine. As I said at the start, this is my dream truck, and I would rather not lose her.
Old March 16th, 2015, 12:22 AM
fpdigit
Peter
1985 LR90 2.5NA

Hey Cal,

I've got a not-currently-running 2.5NA. It was handed down from a respected forum member and I was told that it's a take-off that runs, just 'not well'. Perhaps you could use it for parts or somehow combine the 2 to get a working one.

I've got no use for it and the pittance its worth is not worth my time dealing with CL, so you can have it for free if you'd come and take it off my hands (bay area).

PM me if you're interested.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Tags
mod, rhd