Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Old April 2nd, 2014, 04:14 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
Could be just someone making up stories. We don't have as many customers as some you all think we do. Its a small family we work with/for and I have no idea who his person is, or what his/her gripe is.
Incredible!

Like many others that had issues, I'm all done being angry and wish you the best in your travels buddy. Let's all get back to work now, okay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2014, 04:19 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Are you on the app or on your computer? Most of us have pics of our trucks in our registries...
Thanks, that is helpful.
Yes, we did a cage on that 110 and a few other things, all authorized by the customer via photos and email. I will pull the file in the morning. I have every email and all the photos and I will re-visit what any problems were.

------ Follow up post added April 2nd, 2014 04:21 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Incredible!

Like many others that had issues, I'm all done being angry and wish you the best in your travels buddy. Let's all get back to work now, okay?
Agreed, you are a customer, but how am I supposed to know that by "Jackie-Treehorn"?

I will pull the file in the morning and email you.
I apologize for not knowing what the issues were/are at this time.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 04:28 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Got it. Thanks.
Will pull the file and the photos in the am and have already sent an email to the customer to see what the issue was. Sadly I only remember that the cappings in that 110 were not complete and that it took a lot of extra work to get the cage in due to the truck's condition, but I will know more when I get to the file.

Here is the page with the photos:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=4cdd374477

Will post the work list and such in the morning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2014, 04:39 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
who are these people buying these things and just parking them?
You know I wonder myself...I hear of "these guys" hoarding Nas LR's here in Tejas because of the climate and it's easy to get them in and out. Lot's of rumors and the like and usually I would just pay no attention but when you hear them consistently you have to wonder...
Old April 2nd, 2014, 05:19 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Quote:
Still looks awesome. If I had 150K I would buy it and build a showroom here at the shop.

Someone on Ebay has that compass thing from a LR showroom floor for sale. Just what you need.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 06:07 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61rover View Post
Someone on Ebay has that compass thing from a LR showroom floor for sale. Just what you need.
I was bidding on it... I planned on putting it in my garage...

Old April 2nd, 2014, 06:16 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
I was bidding on it... I planned on putting it in my garage...
and park a Denali on it ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 06:19 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
and park a Denali on it ?
I have 3 rovers... .

Old April 2nd, 2014, 06:51 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
If a customer is/was unhappy, I do my best to make it right. Unhappy customers are not things we have (or want to have, ever). In the 20 years we have been doing this there have only been 3 and those were way back in the Series truck days where I just couldn't make the customers happy no matter what I did.
Without a name (just PM me if you like, it doesn't need to be public) it is not real. Could be just someone making up stories. We don't have as many customers as some you all think we do. Its a small family we work with/for and I have no idea who his person is, or what his/her gripe is.
I have to say I was wrong here. This gentleman was certainly a customer (screen names should be real names) and he is certainly unhappy.
He and I disagree on the time it took to do his job. Knowing how hard I push my guys and what we had to do in the case of that 110 to make a quality job, we will just have to agree to disagree.
So I up my unhappy customer count +1.
Apologies for my earlier name calling.

Old April 2nd, 2014, 08:55 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
^^^^NICE^^^^

Way to eat some humble pie on an open forum. You just took a 100% leap in my book - for whatever that is worth
Old April 2nd, 2014, 09:11 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Quote:
I have to say I was wrong here. This gentleman was certainly a customer (screen names should be real names) and he is certainly unhappy. He and I disagree on the time it took to do his job. Knowing how hard I push my guys and what we had to do in the case of that 110 to make a quality job, we will just have to agree to disagree. So I up my unhappy customer count +1. Apologies for my earlier name calling.
One could say that you have 33% more unhappy customers, or it could be said that four in 20 years ain't all that bad. I think that the work you are doing there is only helping the Defender owner base by preserving and improving upon examples of these trucks. I know that the forums can be a hard place to frequent as a high profile business owner in this niche market, but I appreciate your input here
Old April 2nd, 2014, 09:25 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Thanks, but I'm not going for that.
To be honest, I know this customer did not like his bill and I was not really willing to discuss a deduction in that bill, due to the time spent on the project and the curve balls we were thrown by his truck not being "stock". I handled that badly and do not like his accusations of bill padding (really didn't like that knowing how hard I had worked for him on his behalf). The customer admits that the work was top notch and was done correctly. So at least we got one thing right. I have PM'd the customer and am trying to start a conversation to explain both sides, but in the end we will likely still disagree. Things where a project takes more work than expected when you open it up and a customer expecting something to cost X rarely go well.

Old April 3rd, 2014, 08:46 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Not looking to start a fight, but as this seems to have been discussed at length with no input from the other party (us), we offer the following:

[Link removed until personal info redacted].

This 110 was a pain to get the cage into because it was built from a few different vehicles. Did it cost a lot to get the job done? Yes. (remember this was a replacement roof (all old factory sealer stripped out and the roof re-sealed with modern flexible sealers, new primer and paint)), roof sides with new seals and window tracks, etc etc.
Would it take the same time to do if we did it again? Yes. Can we install a cage in a stock factory truck faster? Yes, and we do that often.

In the end we did a quality job that will stand the test of time, but the customer was unhappy with the costs. I apologize to the customer because I was unwilling to discuss cutting the bill over the phone (I should at least had the conversation), I did explain our side of it via email, but I stand behind the work and in this case that looks like it is the best we can do.

Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:48 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I don't think anybody will or could ever question the quality of ECR's work. That fact is clearly not debateable. As an observer, that doesn't appear to be the issue. In my opinion, this simply comes down to a matter of communication. A business agreement is an arrangement between two parties. when cost matters (and I'm sure to some ECR clients it doesn't!), it's best practice for the client to state what their tentative budget is and expect that for any vehicle, some additional things may be observed on further inspection that may add or subtract from the initial estimate.

For the business, it's best practice to provide a reasonable ball park estimate for the agreed scope of work after initial inspection, and to respect the initial proposed budget of the customer, understanding that when that budget is reached prematurely due to further work required after detailed inspection, that then becomes a trigger to contact the customer to explain the adjustment to the estimate and/or scope of work. That would allow the customer to have the opportunity to either make tradeoffs in scope of work, or have time to react in sourcing additional funds if needed.

Adhearing to these best practices is to the advantage of all, and would have avoided this issue all together in the end so it seems.

That said, it's a beautiful truck! Love that color. I'm also glad that ECR is back on the forum.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:33 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Sadly I only remember that the cappings in that 110 were not complete
You mentioned that they were cut. Is this because it started out as a 3 door? Did they just cut them down to use them on a 5 door?
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:02 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
You mentioned that they were cut. Is this because it started out as a 3 door? Did they just cut them down to use them on a 5 door?
Unknown. That was all done in the UK. Perhaps they cut down 3 door cappings and then did not weld the rear corners back on? Not sure why it would be like that. Images of the cappings are in the link. There were a number of 109 parts mixed in with the 110. When we found the issue when we got the roof sides off we advised the customer. He said to leave them as found.

Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:13 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I'm also glad that ECR is back on the forum.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:27 AM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I also want to jump in an commend Mike for trying to get to the root of the problem. It takes a lot to dig through old files and try and clear things up. It is not like he has better things to do with his time than try and appease some guy that won't at least tell him what the problem was from several years ago.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:41 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigd View Post
I also want to jump in an commend Mike for trying to get to the root of the problem. It takes a lot to dig through old files and try and clear things up. It is not like he has better things to do with his time than try and appease some guy that won't at least tell him what the problem was from several years ago.
Just to clarify. The customer did clearly point out the problem (I just didn't recall what that was without looking at the file (this was 2011)). He was unhappy with the time spent and indicated that other shops could have done the job much quicker and cheaper.

Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:57 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigd View Post
Jackey Treehorn is not just some guy. He is a good guy, and I consider him a friend. This is a disagreement between two credible forum members here.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Tags
110, nas, nas 110