Yakima Rack Mount for Defender Fiberglass Top - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old March 16th, 2016, 08:12 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Yakima Rack Mount for Defender Fiberglass Top

So I love my soft top D90. One little defect is no way to have roof mounted racks. You can always get that huge Safety Devices one, but then you look like a Mexican Bus going down the road and it makes it über fun to swap the top from fiberglass to soft top or frankly anything. So after many different ideas, I finally struck upon a design that would work for both the canvas top and the fiberglass one. Lets face it the fiberglass top is kind of an eggshell. Winter is long and I needed the diversion.

I used the Alpine bar as a starting shape and bent up a pair of 1”x3/8 steel tubes. From the pics you can see the different stages in the welding up process. The cardboard widget is to locate the exact placement for the 1/2” steel pins that go into the Alpine bar holes in the roll cage. The sharpened threaded rod locates the place to pierce the top. After I had all the holes drilled for the grommets, I could come up with the correct length for the spacer bushings. The C plate and its small spacer is to adapt a Yakima rack to the bushings through the roof (I use galvanized 3/4” pipe and paint cover it with heat shrink, cheaper and stronger than standard Yakima bars). The grommets allow the roof to float in relation to the rack which is very rigidly fixed to the roll cage via the clamps and the pins. I did use some sectioned PVC painted black to distribute the load from the clamps onto the roll cage rubber. I also needed some rubber spacers below the plate on top, since the hole for the Alpine Bar is a bit raised. After I had it installed, I had to modify my Yakima Xterra clamps to extend them to the same height as the final height on my rack. Works great, holds the AutoHome Airtop or my Yakima Basket Case or the SPY-48 radar set. I am going to have the pass through holes put in my Badger II as soon as I go back down to Mexico, my guy does really good heavy duty sewing for the price of In-N-Out burger, I bring the materials. So this ended up costing me right around $150 with the powder coating. I did make to plates that cover the holes when the rack is not on. I used form a gasket technique on them so they seal any water out. The pass through fit snugly on the bushings, but put silicone on the grommets so they go on easy and slide a bit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2016, 02:42 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Weather finally motivated me to put the Yakima Loadwarrior basket onto the through the roof mount. Fits fine and is very secure. Their Megawarrior would fit fine as well or the Loadwarrior with the 18” extension. Only rub, when fitted, it is 1” taller than my garage door opening is high. Fits in the hanger just fine. I’ll fit the AutoHome AirTop in a couple of weeks, as soon as it stops snowing and blowing here. Need to do a trip to Vermillion Cliffs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
ac, defender, fiber, fiberglass, fiberglass top, glass, mount, rack, top, yakima