WVO Conversion one step at a time. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old December 27th, 2014, 02:00 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

WVO Conversion one step at a time.

Finally had some time to mount the fuel filter and sedimenter on the fabricated mount.

Since we use several different engines from time to time, had prototype filter mounts made for both the right and left front fenders.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010099.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	109438   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010100.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	109439  

Name:	P1010108.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	109440  

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2014, 02:10 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

The next step was to assemble the sedimenter and fuel filter for the WVO. A neighbor had switched from an oil furnace to heat pump and gave me about 20 gallons of fuel oil so I tested the filter and sedimenter with fuel oil for two reasons, to make the sight glass at the bottom of the filters easy to see in the pictures, and to use it to check for leaks and purge all the air out.

Now when ready, we can send the WVO through a system without any air present to rule out any issues caused by trapped air.

Both the fuel filter and sedimenter have coolant heat exchangers to warm the WVO.
The coolant inlet and outlet ports are facing the back of the units and can only be seen in the "top view looking down" picture.
The coolant lines will run behind the windscreen washer and coolant overflow tanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010101.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	109441   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010102.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	109442  

Name:	P1010103.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	109443   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010104.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	109444  

Name:	P1010105.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	109445  

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old December 27th, 2014, 02:18 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

We will be using an interior mounted 20 gallon fuel tank that sits on the inside fender well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010001.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	109446   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	109447  

Name:	P1010003.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	109448   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010004.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	109449  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2014, 04:02 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Very slick Robert!

What engine are you doing this install on? 200tdi?
Old December 27th, 2014, 06:00 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Yes 200TDI.
Don't have an extra OM617 Kit or the time to tackle an engine swap right now.

Old December 27th, 2014, 07:05 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Looking good. Subscribed!
Old December 27th, 2014, 09:14 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Very cool Robert! That fuel tank is the bees knees for this operation.
Old December 28th, 2014, 12:56 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Setting up the aftermarket dash panel for the glow plug warning light and the 4 WVO switches:
Yellow: WVO Diesel 3-way feed solenoid
Purple: WVO Diesel 3-way return solenoid
Blue: Coolant circulation pump
Red: 12V Heater(s)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010111.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	109576   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010112.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	109577  

Old December 28th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
Robert, I'm pondering about "WVO"?

And I guess the fuel filter cartrage is mounted a little bit deep?
What is the coolant pump needed for?

The bracket looks cool!
Old December 28th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
Robert, I'm pondering about "WVO"?
WVO = Waste Vegetable Oil

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 28th, 2014, 03:27 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
WVO = Waste Vegetable Oil
I suspect Arlo knows what WVO is. I think he means he is considering it for his use.

I had been considering it as well. I had been using biodiesel in various concentrations, from B-20 to B-90, and it destroyed my engine.

So I often ponder whether the conversion from gas to diesel was a big mistake. It certainly cost more money than it should have.
Old December 28th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

What engine do you have and how long have you been running bio? How did it destroy your engine? I've been running it (B50 and B99) for six years with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
I had been using biodiesel in various concentrations, from B-20 to B-90, and it destroyed my engine. So I often ponder whether the conversion from gas to diesel was a big mistake. It certainly cost more money than it should have.
Old December 28th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Robert,

What kind of mileage are you expecting with the WVO? Are you still keeping the old tank so that you can switch back and forth? Will the system be heated?
Old December 28th, 2014, 04:06 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
Thanks Chris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
I suspect Arlo knows what WVO is. I think he means he is considering it for his use.

I had been considering it as well. I had been using biodiesel in various concentrations, from B-20 to B-90, and it destroyed my engine.

So I often ponder whether the conversion from gas to diesel was a big mistake. It certainly cost more money than it should have.
Luis, I've never read this befor.

But my system of veggi oil consumption is running since 2006! (or 100.000miles!)
No problems at all, since today.
But I use it only on long distances.

You may read more about it here:

http://www.explorermagazin.de/bauberi/rapsoel06.htm

(sorry, it's in German language) At the end of this report you may have a look at my hydraulic solution. And load it down!

I used an oil cooler from a VW between adapterplate and fuel filter. Lines are inside on top of the inner wing, as shown in this example.
Used a T connector to get the coolant flowing from the cylinder head to the hose which is connected to the coolant reservoir.

And I use a short cut between injektion pump three way selenoid. At every time!
There's only the possibility to flush out air or vegitable oil by a second valve. All these fluids will go back to the veggi oil tank. So there's nothing that will ruin my diesel oil.

Waste veggi oil may ruin the pump, because it contains salt.
The direct injection systems need some temps inside the cylinder while burning the oil!
When idleling the engine will design big blue cloudes!
The so called Biodiesel is/was just another possibility to earn someones money.
It's not available here.
7% vegitable oil is mixed to every dieselfuel no.
And some water.
Old December 28th, 2014, 04:28 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
What engine do you have and how long have you been running bio? How did it destroy your engine? I've been running it (B50 and B99) for six years with no issues.
It's the International HS2.8. Bought it new.

Apparently what happened, the biodiesel which I was getting from a local biofuel maker and distributor, wore out the injector pump. Bio started leaking into the timing belt assembly and gradually deteriorated it.

One day while driving 70 MPH (about 1900 RPM) the belt failed and I coasted to the shoulder. The results were catastrophic. Bent valves and pushrods, broken rockers and shaft, sheared camshaft just to list a few.

Sadly, the engine was only 8 months old with 11k miles on it.

It's since been rebuilt. But I'm skittish about anything bio or vegetable now. I'm sticking to the petrochemical version.
Old December 28th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Wow. Sorry to hear that. You must have been running B90 mostly. B20 (20% biodiesel, 80% regular diesel, for those who don't know) should not have any effect on the system. Is the International fuel pump the same as a the 300tdi? So there must be some natural rubber components in the fuel pump otherwise they would not degrade. Is it confirmed that it was the biodiesel deteriorating the timing belt? I only ask because a lot of car mechanics not familiar with bio have a tendency to blame the bio on anything that goes wrong without checking facts. How would the fuel go from the injection pump into the timing housing? I need to check my fuel pump for wear just in case. My timing belt housing was clean as a whistle when I changed my belt and I had been running B90 for a few years at that point. Not trying to sell everyone on Bio, just curious to hear the diagnose of what went wrong.
Old December 28th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

The only parts that could possibly degrade or wear out would be natural rubber. Metal parts are not affected by bio. Is the fuel pump diaphragm made from natural rubber? Are there any natural rubber seals in the fuel pump? Robert, is this a concern with running WVO as well or is it less solvent?
Old December 28th, 2014, 05:28 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Wow. Sorry to hear that. You must have been running B90 mostly. B20 (20% biodiesel, 80% regular diesel, for those who don't know) should not have any effect on the system. Is the International fuel pump the same as a the 300tdi? So there must be some natural rubber components in the fuel pump otherwise they would not degrade. Is it confirmed that it was the biodiesel deteriorating the timing belt? I only ask because a lot of car mechanics not familiar with bio have a tendency to blame the bio on anything that goes wrong without checking facts. How would the fuel go from the injection pump into the timing housing? I need to check my fuel pump for wear just in case. My timing belt housing was clean as a whistle when I changed my belt and I had been running B90 for a few years at that point. Not trying to sell everyone on Bio, just curious to hear the diagnose of what went wrong.
I had actually outsourced the rebuilt to Pendy up in Wichita. By my understanding, he is one of the best.

Ironically, I understand that Prins in the Netherlands had the exact same problem with one of their engines but I don't think theirs was biofuel related.
Old December 28th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
Biodiesel is a solution for normal O-Rings and lip seals! I'm not sure about the diaphragma inside the fuel pump?
They all have to be changed against resisting types before using estered veggi fuel.

But we are talking about using wasteed oil from Master Chan!
That's a totally other type of how to handle and what's significant different!
Old December 28th, 2014, 07:00 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Robert,

What kind of mileage are you expecting with the WVO? Are you still keeping the old tank so that you can switch back and forth? Will the system be heated?
WVO generally gets about 5% less fuel mileage, but that is little concern when the WVO is free.
This is a common question, so you are not the first to ask, just the first to ask on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Would it be better to have the fillers inboard for filling through the back load space? Or is the plan to fill through the open window?
The WVO tank will be filled via the rear window.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
conversion