Wiper motor limit switch replacement - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:47 PM
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config
Wiper motor limit switch replacement

My '97 wipers stopped working in the intermittent mode, wash mode and would not go back to their park position when turned off. The first advice i got was that the wiper relay crapped out. I ordered one - got it and found out that '97s do not even have a relay for the wiper motor. Mike at ECR shed the light... the plastic fitting that the wiring harness attaches to on the motor itself is also a limit switch. (which controls the intermittent and park position when you turn the wipers off). The part costs between $25 and $35 - depending on who you want throw your money at. After I had already ordered mine from RN for $35 I found that TNLR will sell you one for $25. The sad part of the ordering from RN is that it took 1.5 MONTHS to ship it to me....very lame. I was about to cancel my order and buy the one from Bill at TNLR when I found that RN had just boxed mine up and shipped it.

Anyway I took pics of the instal. It was an easy task - but a picture is worth many words and thought someone else may benefit from the tutorial.

Pic #1. remove the two left screws that hold the dash instrument cluster - remove the three screws that hold the side of the dash/heater control arms - if you have AC you have to remove two big sheet meatal screws that hold the AC ducting to the bottom corner of the dash - carefully pry out your left most AC vent . This gives you access to a major sheet metal screw to remove - the second one is underneath the ducting. Then remove the bottom corner of the dash (3 screws).

Pic #2 I circled the limit switch with all wiring attached.

Pic #3 This is a view of the switch that faces the wiper housing. - there is a plunger switch, Retaining clip and a register pin to keep the switch in the correct location.

Pic #4 Before removing the wiring harness use a marker on your replacemnet limit switch to identify which color wire attaches to which lead . Remove the Limit Switch by carefully prying up the left end of the switch and pulling the switch off to the left.

Pic #5 View the hole for the switch and retaining clip. The oval hole is where the plunger switch goes - the square hole is where the retaining clip goes.

Pic #6 This pic shows where the elements of switch go - register pin, clip and plunger switch.

Pic #7 instal complete - you can see where I marked the switch housing terminals so I knew where each of the 3 bottom wires go. The top harness fits only one way - no need to mark it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	11820   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	11821  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	11822   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	11823  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	11824   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	11825  

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	11826  

Old August 15th, 2010, 02:49 PM
District 90
1994/DEFENDER 90
Question replacing the wash/wiper switch on a '94 D-90

I'm in the process of replacing the wash/wiper switch, as well as, the indicator switch on a '94 D-90. I removed the upper/lower steering column housing and the steering wheel.

What is the best technique for removing and reconnecting the rubber wiring pin housing?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1623.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	30129  

Old August 15th, 2010, 11:46 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110
Great write-up, Len.

Does anybody know if that limit switch and wiper motor is located in the same location in the 94 as the 97?

Also, I've been having a problem with the wipers refusing to stop running when the truck gets wet. It started doing this after the mud of SCARR. I'm guessing that I have a bad ground someplace. Does anyone know where that might be?
Old August 16th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
Probably behind the wiper motor cover.
*not legal advice*
Old June 6th, 2012, 09:15 PM
'97 Defender 90 SW
What is TNLR? Does anyone have a part number for this piece?
Old June 7th, 2012, 06:29 AM
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
Originally Posted by mdmccallum
What is TNLR? Does anyone have a part number for this piece?
He meant TNTLR.

Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

ac, motor, switch