Webasto 300tdi Mounting Bracket - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old December 6th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Webasto 300tdi Mounting Bracket

If anyone else is in the process, or considering a Webasto install on their 300tdi I have designed a mounting bracket for the Webasto to install in the location of the washer bottle right next to the heater. This is the ideal location for the Webasto. The idea is that you leave the washer bottle mount in place and bolt this bracket to the Webasto which then mates up with perfectly with the washer mount. The washer bottle will have to be replaced with a TD5 under wing style and moved to the other side of the bay. I will post pictures of the bracket once fabricated and I will post pics of the Webasto install in a separate thread.
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Webasto Adapter Bracket Design

Here the bracket adapter design to fit the Webasto in the 300tdi Washer Tank location. Final part arrives next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen 1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	86364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen 2.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	86365  

Name:	IMG_7720.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	86367  
Old January 2nd, 2014, 02:15 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Hey Carl, did you make any extras that you want to sell? I don't have a Webasto yet and it's pretty far back in line when it comes to projects (behind the York compressor, for sure) but if you're making a run of them, I'll take one.

edit: on second thought, I better make sure that I have this washer bracket. not so sure now...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2014, 09:00 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

No problem. I'll have them make an extra one. Just let me know.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 09:44 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Carl:
I'd like a couple as well as I have 2 of the Webasto's that are not yet installed.
With the OM617. you can pretty much burn any type of fuel, so the plan will be to use it on our Mercedes powered 110 5 door wagon.

Want to work it out so the engine is completely warm before starting, start on diesel, and at the end of the driveway switch over to heated WVO or some other alternate fuel.

Also want to look at curculating the heated coolant through a flat plate HE that you can pump water through to have a hot shower. Currently we have to run the engine to heat the shower water.

Pictures of the unit mounted would be cool if you could post some once you have the install completed.

Thanks for sharing.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 2nd, 2014, 01:29 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

No problem Robert. Brackets shocks be done in a week but I am still waiting for parts for the install so that might take a while longer. Will post full write up in separate thread.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 07:15 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Webasto-powered shower would be totally awesome. I'm not familiar with these heaters but I wonder if there is a way to turn down the heat output a bit. The problem with the motor-heated shower is that it's nice for a few minutes and then soon after you're burning the skin off your body when the water turns to steam.

/
/
/
/
Old January 2nd, 2014, 09:13 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Webasto-powered shower would be totally awesome. I'm not familiar with these heaters but I wonder if there is a way to turn down the heat output a bit. The problem with the motor-heated shower is that it's nice for a few minutes and then soon after you're burning the skin off your body when the water turns to steam.
I have an onboard webasto powered water system that includes a coolant heat exchanger, water pressure pump and removable showerhead with mixer. when you use a mixer, you have cold water line and hot water line. the cold water line just bypasses the exchanger.

What I have learned is that you need the engine running to support a webasto shower. with engine off, the webasto electric circulation pump isn't strong enough to keep the flow going through the exchanger to keep the heat up. what the webasto will do is keep the coolant warm enough at idle so that the coolant can keep the water passing through the heat exchanger nice and hot. On a positive note, the webasto is perfect without engine running to provide warm water to do dishes and cleanup.

On a side note, I created my own mount for my webasto out of a few pieces of 1"aluminum bar stock from home depot. it's been rock solid for a few years now and I was able to mount my breather manifold and webasto relays to it as well.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old January 2nd, 2014, 10:11 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Where is yours mounted, Mark?
Old January 2nd, 2014, 10:35 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Where is yours mounted, Mark?
RH wing between heater box and expansion tank, as high as I can fit to protect during wading

Old January 2nd, 2014, 11:27 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
RH wing between heater box and expansion tank, as high as I can fit to protect during wading
That's right where I want to put all of the OBA ancillaries like the manifold, filter, oiler, etc. The solution for me would be to relocate the washer bottle (it turns out that I do have the same bracket as Carl). Carl, did you manage to find all of the P/Ns needed to convert to the LH-wing Td5 bottle?

/
/
/
/
Old January 3rd, 2014, 12:28 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I think so. Brian ordered them for me.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 08:26 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I replaced my windscreen fluid bottle with the version that conform under the LH wing behind the headlights. (PRC5777) which made room for the webasto.

Old January 3rd, 2014, 12:30 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I believe this is it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Washer Bottle 2.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	87151  
Old February 11th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Brackets are done.

Can someone tell me what size mounting bolt the Webasto Thermotop C uses?
Old February 11th, 2014, 04:59 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Ejot screws

http://techwebasto.com/redirect/heat...t/5000778B.pdf.
Old February 11th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks. Do those come in different sizes?
Old February 11th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
dang, missed this. I would totally go for one. Guess I don't spend enough time on here these days!
Old February 11th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Bracket? You may be in luck. I may have an extra one.
Old February 11th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
yes.

I will take one if avail.

PM me with cost etc etc.

Thanks!
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Bracket? You may be in luck. I may have an extra one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
300tdi, ac, bracket, mount, rack, tdi, webasto