VNT Turbo install on 300tdi - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old April 27th, 2013, 01:33 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Hey Sandro. I'm excited to find someone else who have coated their turbo as well.

I would also recommend installing a heat shield over the starter and install fiberglass heat sleeves over the starter cables as they run very close to the new down pipe and it is much easier to do it before the turbo is installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2013, 01:38 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Would love to see some before/after EGT numbers, or at least after.

I have a VNT kit from M&D sitting in my office. Now all I need are ancillaries for the long block.
Old July 9th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I noticed a new oil leak last week and I am suspecting its the oil return hose on the VNT where it enters the engine. The fitting wouldn't screw all the way in when I installed it and I didn't want to risk stripping the threads in the block. Suggestions appreciated.
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry

Mine leaked a little below the VNT, tightened and solved.
I'm not sure I understood where your leak is...?
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Old July 9th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Underneath the turbo there is an oil return hose. I think it is leaking in the threaded plug that goes into the engine block because I was never able to screw it all the way in.

Where did yours leak?
Old July 9th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
I guess it's the same spot.
I'll try and take a pic tomorrow maybe.
So I'll check for leaks again
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old July 9th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks!
Old July 17th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
I haven't forgotten,
just been away a few days hunting for wrecked Series Landies
and parts...
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old July 17th, 2013, 11:05 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

How are your EGT numbers, Carl? Have you tried any long climbs in warm weather?

/
/
/
/
Old July 22nd, 2013, 12:32 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I haven't gotten to hook up the gauge yet. I also got an Auber boost gauge. I have a road trip coming up so I will definitely do it before then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Old July 22nd, 2013, 12:33 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

The oil leak looks like it may have been the banjo bolt. I tighten it today and will keep an eye on it for the next few days.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 04:07 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
higher pre-turbo exhaust temps is the complete opposite of what I would want.
I would just like to clarify this for those reading this thread.

Turbochargers need heat to work. The energy they use to spin the turbine and compress incoming air comes from the heat generated from a hard working engine. That is why you see boost under load only, not from just revving the engine.

Exhaust gas is hottest right as its leaving the combustion chamber. This is when it has the most potential energy to spin the turbo. As the exhaust gas flows through the ports in the head, and through the exhaust manifold, it is cooled and looses some of that potential energy.

Ceramic coating the exhaust manifold insulates the exhaust gas, and helps maintain the highest possible temperature (highest potential energy) going into the turbo.

So in closing, you want the highest possible pre-turbo exhaust temps so long as you are not also increasing the combustion chamber temps at the same time.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 08:06 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

That is how I understood it as well. Since you can control the EGT temp by adjusting fueling there is still a method through which to control it and thus avoid overheating.

Here is a quote from another forum from someone who is a lot more knowledgeable than me on the subject (I can dig up the source if necessary):

"In laymans terms, the heat is contained inside the manifold and passed through the turbo and down the exhaust, which actually increases the gas velocity and this is why there is an increase in response with the ceramic coating alone of about 200rpm lower turbo kick-in.

Due to the fact, that much LESS heat is absorbed and stored in the exhaust manifold casting, there is also substantially less heat reflected towards the intake manifold. This aids in a much better volumetric efficiency of the intake stroke, as the air inducted is cooler.

On my 1955 Mercedes W198/1, which has extremely long exhaust and intake manifolds, just the ceramic coating of the exhaust manifold and the heat shield resulted in a gain of 25HP or 11% more."
Old July 22nd, 2013, 08:12 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Adam.

Since I am clearly the layman here... What is your opinion on coating the turbo as well? I had the manifold and the down pipe coated with a heat retention ceramic coating. I had the exhaust half of the turbo coated with heat retention ceramic and I had the "air" part or the turbo coated in a heat dispersion ceramic coating. This was all a bit of a experiment based on the ceramic coating vendors recommendation. Does this make sense to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post

I would just like to clarify this for those reading this thread.

Turbochargers need heat to work. The energy they use to spin the turbine and compress incoming air comes from the heat generated from a hard working engine. That is why you see boost under load only, not from just revving the engine.

Exhaust gas is hottest right as its leaving the combustion chamber. This is when it has the most potential energy to spin the turbo. As the exhaust gas flows through the ports in the head, and through the exhaust manifold, it is cooled and looses some of that potential energy.

Ceramic coating the exhaust manifold insulates the exhaust gas, and helps maintain the highest possible temperature (highest potential energy) going into the turbo.

So in closing, you want the highest possible pre-turbo exhaust temps so long as you are not also increasing the combustion chamber temps at the same time.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:20 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Makes sense to me although I'm not totally familiar with the different types of ceramic coatings available. Any coating to insulate it would be beneficial, even on the cold side of the turbo because the intake air temp would certainly be lower than the under hood temp in the vicinity of the turbo.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 11:30 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

I'm probably next, so, M&D or Allard ?

Cheers
Old August 3rd, 2013, 11:33 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'd say Allard. I love the VNT but M&D's kit was pretty sloppy and I has to buy additional parts to make it work. Allard seems like a better kit.
Old August 4th, 2013, 10:04 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

I think Allisport has one also.
Old August 11th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I finally had a chance to wire up he Auber EGT gauge today. I haven't gone for a test drive yet. Idle was at 215 degrees. I wonder if it needs to be calibrated as the cold engine resting temp was 84. Seems a bit high for a cool-to-the-touch manifold on a day when it was only 75 outside. I will report on some readings driving around town this week and I'll be doing a road trip (fully loaded) in two weeks so that'll be a better indicator of how it will handle under full load while driving for several hours.

If anyone else have VNT EGT readings (before and after if possible) please share!

I also installed the Auber Turbo Boost gauge today as well but I need to get a hose extension in order to splice in the new sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Old March 27th, 2014, 11:53 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Hey Carl (and Michele),

What did you guys end up doing for the intake-to-turbo pipe and hose system? I think the M&D system of two hard pipes and two soft connectors is just awful. The fitment to the front of the turbo is questionable and the big pipe fitment along the plenum looks bad, too. The biggest problem, however, is that 90 cast pipe that comes from the front of the turbo up and around to meet the big long pipe. The little cast pipe rubs up against the back of my alternator. I have the high output alternator so instead of the heat shield like most have, I have the back of the alternator itself, and the wires. I'm afraid that this could short out my alternator wires.

I would sell the M&D setup and get the Allard, except that Allard has ghosted on me and hasn't returned any e-mails. I'm so bummed out right now that I'm seriously considering going to a stock turbo.

Carl, did you ever get a custom pipe made? What about hoses? Can you post details?

Thanks homie.

/
/
/
/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
300tdi, tdi