VNT Turbo install on 300tdi - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old March 11th, 2013, 01:34 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yudda View Post
From the eBay ad, it doesn't mention the manifold horns, unlike Bells ad.
Does anyone know what has to be done to reuse the existing manifold horns? Are these just pressed into the center section of the manifold?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2013, 02:10 PM
andy110
Andy Bard
1986 110 CSW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiftRover View Post
Does anyone know what has to be done to reuse the existing manifold horns? Are these just pressed into the center section of the manifold?

Yes, just pressed in. You will need to put some exhaust cement on them before you re-install the horns.
Old March 11th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
I can't remember having troubles with the intercooler hoses nor I remember any collision between the alternator (?!) and the metal tube...and I swapped the alternator last summer when it self-destructed on the motorway...

I did put a rubber "blanket" on a pipe because it was in touch with another and I wanted to avoid rubbing...I'll take a photo.

I hear you on the "less" pipes above, I would've loved to drop a custom bent pipe in place,
but I have no bender around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
I probably spent two hours trying to wrestle the intercooler hoses into place. No way it will work with current hoses included in the kit. As installed the alternator was grinding a hole in the metal tube. I'm looking for a S shaped silicone hose of same diameter to replace the blue one pictured. Recommendations are appreciated.
------ Follow up post added March 11th, 2013 10:37 PM ------

Quote:
I have full width Allard and I wonder if the intercooler pipe is in a different location on it
Maybe this is a reason...can't understand the alternator issue tho...
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

New hoses have been ordered! I just want to give a shout out to Gareth at Derby Performance Hose in the UK http://www.derbyperformancehose.co.uk who has been extremely helpful. Gareth has generously offered to sell me his high quality silicone hoses individually as they are usually sold in a kit. After some measuring it appears that the TD5 hose will work for me. I can't wait to button this up and go for a drive.
Old March 16th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

New hoses arrive end of this week but this afternoon I managed to contort the poor fitting ones enough to take it for a test drive. Wow. There is clearly a very noticeable difference. I have only driven it around town for a little bit but I had a big grin on my face the whole time. I'm looking forward to taking it on the freeway and see how it does on long hills. Before there were times when the engine felt a bit anemic. Now there seems to be plenty juice whenever needed. It's a lot of coin but I'm very happy I did the upgrade. Now I just have to wire up the EGT so I can keep an eye on the temp. I will definitely do that before I take it on the Freeway.
Old March 16th, 2013, 10:36 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Carl, interested in hearing about the results of your ceramic coating. Wish you had some before/after EGT readings.
Old March 16th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I wish I had some before readings as well but I didn't have one installed. I'll post reading here once the EGT is wired up.
Old March 17th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

The right way to get accurate readings would have been to install the kit and run temperature tests inside manifold and outside then uninstall it, get it coated, reinstall then do the same readings. To much effort, not enough time.

I have a laser thermometer so I can do some temp readings inside the manifold (once hot, after freeway driving) as well as on the outside surface of the manifold and exhaust. If someone else is up for doing the same thing (granted they have a digital EGT) we can at least compare the difference between interior and exterior manifold.
Old March 17th, 2013, 01:24 PM
andy110
Andy Bard
1986 110 CSW

Registry
Quote:
New hoses arrive end of this week but this afternoon I managed to contort the poor fitting ones enough to take it for a test drive. Wow. There is clearly a very noticeable difference. I have only driven it around town for a little bit but I had a big grin on my face the whole time. I'm looking forward to taking it on the freeway and see how it does on long hills. Before there were times when the engine felt a bit anemic. Now there seems to be plenty juice whenever needed. It's a lot of coin but I'm very happy I did the upgrade. Now I just have to wire up the EGT so I can keep an eye on the temp. I will definitely do that before I take it on the Freeway.

Wow, now I have one more project to add to the never ending list!
Old March 17th, 2013, 01:55 PM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

Did you modify the cooling system at all after installing a bigger turbo?
Old March 17th, 2013, 03:11 PM
jcb-memphis
Jeff B.
None

I wonder if this can be had as a plug and play kit....would be nice....

(cost estimate?)
110 hybrid (from a 90) NAS Defender "Oates" #1597
2002 D2 SE "Very Disco" (sold)
1993 RRC LWB "The Beast" (sold)
Old March 17th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I already had a full width Allard intercooler installed prior to installing this kit. Are there other modifications to the cooling system to be had?

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf110 View Post
Old March 17th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

The M&D Engineering VNT Kit I installed is supposed to be plug & play for a 300tdi. It may work fine with a stock intercooler but I had to replace a hose due to my full width intercooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis View Post
I wonder if this can be had as a plug and play kit....would be nice....

(cost estimate?)
Old March 17th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf110 View Post
It is not a bigger turbo. It is VNT, so provides more torque at lower rpm. Peak power will be the same unless you modify boost or fueling.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 26th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

John is right. I spent a little more time driving it this weekend. The low end torque is where you will feel the big difference. I basically fly through the first couple of gears right now but there is no difference on the high end. I'm very happy with the upgrade but in hindsight the M&D kit seemed a bit sloppy for the money. I am a big fan of Allard Turbo Sport and I would probably have opted for one of their kits instead if I were to do it over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
It is not a bigger turbo. It is VNT, so provides more torque at lower rpm. Peak power will be the same unless you modify boost or fueling.
Old March 26th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Have you wired the EGT sensor?
Temps in C, thanks
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old March 26th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Unfortunately not yet. I am a complete newbie on the electrical side so I may need some help wiring it up. My main question being, where to fuse it to?
Old March 26th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Thanks, I never fused mine note taken, added to the list...
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old April 25th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I played around with my laser thermometer yesterday. These numbers don't mean much since they're exterior readings after having driven on the freeway but should give an indication. Also keep in mind that my manifold and downpipe are ceramic coated. Once I finally get the EGT wired up I would like to do a comparison with another 300tdi owner with a VNT kit who has a digital EGT AND a laser thermometer. It would be interesting to measure inside and outside temps under similar circumstances to see if there is a difference. Any volunteers?

Exhaust Manifold: 380F
Exhaust Downpipe: 272F
Turbo (Exhaust side): 260F
Thermostat housing: 182F
Starter: 227F
Alternator (back, facing turbo): 132F

Thoughts & Comments on above temperatures?
Old April 25th, 2013, 07:00 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Very cool project. Thanks for the incredible write-up. Looking forward to reading more.

I had my 200TDI turbo ceramic coated along with the intake and exhaust manifolds (plus valve cover, oil pan and a couple other pieces). Ceramic coating is awesome. Even though the documentation says "soap+water" to clean, a quick wipe with a rag cleans the parts with ease. Oh, and they look great, too.

You might want to double-check the heat rating on your ceramic coating because the ceramic coating on the exhaust side of my turbo looks like it just burned right off. The exhaust manifold is in better shape but doesn't look nearly as nice as the other parts I had ceramic coated.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
300tdi, tdi