VDO Speedometer Parts/Installation/Problems Merged Threads - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old March 2nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Never did get anybody from Metron or any distributors to respond to me. But I did finally dig up a pricing list.... just under 300 Euro's for the transducer. So it's a dead end concept I think.

Going to measure up and make myself a cable to just use a standard GM threaded part I think. Much cheaper and more readily available. Once I get that settled, I'll start another thread on how-to.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Speedometer Sender Adapter for mechanical speedo's... part 2

Well, I think I finally found the ultimate simple solution for replacing the stock mechanical speedo with an electronic one. All easy to get, drop-in, inexpensive parts. Ordering the parts now to try it.

It's so absurdly simple too.

Speedometer cable from an early 80's Jeep CJ-7. and ANY generic GM style speedometer sender of your choice. That's it. 4wd.com has the speedo cable for $9

I have the cable already from my CJ-7 in good shape, ordering the speedo sender tonight to test it.

-Hans

Old March 7th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Speedo Sender Adapter, Success!

Success! In fact, this way is just stupid-easy to do. All the parts fit right where you need them, no modifications or re-wiring of existing stuff needed. Allows you to keep the factory speed sensor, which means no check-engine lights. Took me longer to pop the sealing grommet into place than it took to run the cable.

Just for a quickie parts list.

Speedometer cable from any Jeep CJ-7.
Electronic speedometer of your choice. I used an Auto-Meter cobalt, needed some fitting as it's smaller than the stock 4" size.
The following Speedo senders will work here.
Autometer #5291
VDO 340-012
Or any other sender that is a pass-thru style, or has the MALE 3/4" threading on it.

1. Remove the factory speedometer and UPPER speedometer cable.
2. Install Jeep speedometer cable, smaller threaded side goes underneath into the existing rover speed sensor. Large threaded side goes up behind the dashboard. You'll need to feed it through from the dashboard first, and then down to the transmission area. Only the small threaded end will fit through the dash hole. Make sure to get the inner cable seated into the rover speed sensor properly while you're down there. Also, the JEEP cable is longer, so make sure it gets routed away from the exhaust, you've got the extra length to do it. The original factory cable is shorter and gets pretty close to the manifolds.
3. Install new speedometer sender behind the dashboard, onto the new cable.
4. To get the firewall sealing grommet to fit in, I found it easier to go under the hood and remove the 4 screws on the black rubber panel that the cable feeds through. Gives you access to both sides.
5. Install, wire and calibrate the new speedo as per the instructions that came with it.

Seriously guys, it took me longer to write this post than it did to do the work. It's a cheap, easy and clean install and lets you run any electronic speedometer you want to.

-Hans

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2008, 07:04 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Sweet. I'll have to try this on my 110. I'm assuming the speed sensor is optional and as long as the cj-7 speedo cable is long enough it will work on that too. I'm guessing about $200 for a VDO gauge and sender, and a cj-7 speedo cable.

charles
Old March 7th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Hmmmm, your 110 is an '84? Is it even fuel injected? The bottom-end may be different there, haven't crawled around any of the carbureted or older "Flapper" style EFI trucks.

For the NAS defenders, which is what I was figuring out, I keep the original speed sensor for the computer and add another one for the speedometer. But for everything, should run about $200 like you said to change from the mechanical speedo to a VDO Vision. Just make sure to use the through-drive speed sensor 340-012. The normal one they say to use, 340-011, will NOT fit using my method.

Old March 7th, 2008, 08:55 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yeah it has a carb. I'm really not sure what setup it has, but the speedo is shot (and my D90's is fine) . And this setup is half the price of a stock speedo at rovers north.
Old March 7th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yeah, good point. It all depends on what the threading is on the output from the transfer case. May work just fine still.

-Hans

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
installation, part, parts, problems, speedo