VDO Speedometer Parts/Installation/Problems Merged Threads - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old July 1st, 2004, 08:38 AM
mgrgpg
Mark
1989 D110

Thanks for the help....Sent the Speedo to North Hollywood Speedometer Shop. They checked it out, and the speedo worked fine. It turned out to be that the transducer box was dirty, and the lower speedo cable was worn. We replaced the cable, cleaned and greased everything, now it works great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2004, 02:26 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

They should be! Here's the link http://www.egauges.com/

DJ
Old October 21st, 2004, 01:07 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Does anyone have the VDO speedo part # that is needed? Also, what VDO fuel guage workes? THey make a few different ones in the Vision series?

RAndy
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2004, 02:08 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Randy - VDO Speedo I used was PN 437-155.
Old August 24th, 2005, 10:20 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

Speedometer Conversion

I am trying to install a VDO Vision speedometer in my D90/RR hybrid with LT77 and LT230. I have the VDO speedo and the AMR1253 sender mentioned in the speedometer coversion tech article. The sender looks as if it should replace the mechanical speedo cable, though I haven't yet confirmed that.

The VDO instructions show a Hall effect sensor with three contacts. The AMR1253 has only two contacts. Any tips on wiring?
Old August 25th, 2005, 07:18 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
John, yes it replaces the sender in the t-case. Also. CHeck the directions. It should show 2 types of installs. One with 3 wires and one with 2 wires
Old August 25th, 2005, 09:08 AM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

Randy,

Well, actually the instructions that came with the VDO show three different wiring methods. We can immediately dismiss the one for the Electronic Control Box, as this vehicle has the 200Tdi and is very, uhhh... primitive. There is a two wire setup for the Inductive Sender and a three wire setup for the Hall Effect Sensor.

If I understand these matters correctly (hah!), the Inductive Sender would be a magnetic sensor that would detect pulses from a rotating component, e.g., a flywheel with embedded magnet. The Hall Effect Sensor shown in the VDO instructions has a rotating shaft that replaces the mechanical cable connected to the transfer case and three wires, one of which is a ground.

Are you saying that I should connect the speedo according to the Inductive Sender diagram, even though the AMR 1253 appears to be a Hall Effect Sensor?

Thanks!
Old September 1st, 2005, 07:13 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Yes wire it like that. be sure your speed sensor male 'prong' is the same size as the speedo gear you are using.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old January 18th, 2006, 01:31 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

Speedo Part PLEASE help...

I have purchased a VDO programmable speedometer and new cable to replace the failed unit from my truck. Per the FAQ on this site, I have found a local speedo shop here in town that can cut down the OEM cable and mate it to the new VDO electronic cable. No big deal.

The problem is this...like a jackass, when I removed the nut and small retaining clip that holds the OEM speedo cable into the transfer case, (before Thanksgiving I might add) I promptly misplaced them. Now the speedo guy is ready to go and I don't have the necessary part to hold the cable in place. He told me that he can probably fab one for me but I'd need to leave my truck there all day and I'm not wanting to pay someone for a day's work trying to fabricate a $.35 part if i can help it.

Can anyone help? Does anyone have these parts laying around your shop someplace? My tranny is the R-380 5 Speed, and it's a mecanical cable, NOT the electronic cable that plugs in to the t-case. The entire drive train is about 6 years old.

I looked at Rovers North and the only part they have that sounds close is called an oil plug retaining plate or something like that. I don't even know what this thing is called and can't remember what it looks like. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 18th, 2006, 03:14 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Any one of the parts places should be able to help you out. Rob D can definitely help you out.
Old January 18th, 2006, 03:43 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

George at RDS is looking but I haven't heard back from him yet. Hey Rob....you have what I need? :-)
Old January 19th, 2006, 08:29 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

So did you do away with the transducer? Your new VDO adapter cable goes into the t-case, or into the transducer which is hooked up to the tcase via a short cable?
Old January 19th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I checked and I have not located any used ones in the shop.
Old January 19th, 2006, 11:32 AM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

I may have located one, I'll let you guys know. Thanks for looking, Rob.

As for the new VDO cable, it has the wrong fitting to sinc up to the OEM cable and can't plug directly into the TC. I read a the thread on this site in the FAQ's about switching to the VDO programmable speedo, and it said to go to a speedometer shop and:

1. Tell them you will bring in the new VDO sender/cable and your old cable.

2. Ask them to install a 7/8" x 18 male end onto your old cable. This new male end gets installed on the speedometer end of the cable, and this (newly shortened) cable only needs to be 3-4" long. The existing female end of your original cable is retained.

3. Using this new short cable as an adapter, screw the original female end into the little frame mounted box right where it used to go, and screw the new male end into the female end of the VDO sender/cable, and zip-tie the sender box (which is a cube about 1-1/2" on each side) to the frame so it doesn't bounce around.

4. Hook up the speedo end of the sender/cable to the VDO speedo.

5. Calibrate per directions.

6. Drive around in complete confidence that your speedometer is accurate for a change.

I haven't had a working Speedo since I've had my truck (about 6 months now) so i can't wait to get it fixed.
Old February 12th, 2006, 12:19 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"
Electronic Speedo: 85MPH (#437 154), however these might be out of production by now so you'll have to use the 120MPH (#437 155)"

Definately want the 120mph (see avitar)
Old February 12th, 2006, 06:47 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
"
Electronic Speedo: 85MPH (#437 154), however these might be out of production by now so you'll have to use the 120MPH (#437 155)"

Definately want the 120mph (see avitar)

Is that 90 or 120mph Ron? I guess it really depends on the shaking of the cab.
Old February 12th, 2006, 07:30 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Whats nice aout the electronic speedo is that if you change tire sizes, you just adjust the speedo and you are accurate again.. I have the 120mph one. I have done 80+ going down hill lol
Old March 13th, 2006, 09:04 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfig
"Electronic Speedo: 85MPH (#437 154), however these might be out of production by now so you'll have to use the 120MPH (#437 155)"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Menasco
Is that 90 or 120mph Ron? I guess it really depends on the shaking of the cab.
VDO #437 155 is the 120MPH version
VDO #437 157 is the 85MPH (with kph markings sorta similar to stock) in 100mm size but I've only found one website that lists them. Getting ready to start a phone hunt coz this is what I want if I can find one.
Old March 25th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Legal Ramifications of Speedo Change?

Check me on this please: Is there an odometer built into the VDO programmable speedometer? If so, is there a means of programming the total vehicle mileage into the new speedometer? If there's no odometer, aren't there potential legal and ethical issues involved in not knowing the actual mileage of the truck when it's time to sell it? Doesn't it hurt the resale value of a car when you have to check the little box that says Actual Mileage Unknown on the title/transfer papers? Just asking. . .

Follow-up Post:

Sorry. I just read elsewhere that one can toggle between an odometer and trip odometer. I wonder if the actual mileage can be programmed in, or if it starts from zero, and you have to get some sort of certification from your DMV or something.
Old March 25th, 2006, 06:35 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Spalding

Follow-up Post:

Sorry. I just read elsewhere that one can toggle between an odometer and trip odometer. I wonder if the actual mileage can be programmed in, or if it starts from zero, and you have to get some sort of certification from your DMV or something.
both are true. The miliage is zero out of the box. If you want to add the current mileage of you D90 you can do that too. I took mine to the local speedo shop and they adjusted the milage on the odometer of the VDO to represent the true milage of the vehicle. I think it was about $70?

DJ

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
installation, part, parts, problems, speedo