VDO Gauge Parts/Installation/Problems Merged Threads - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 21st, 2004, 03:25 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
thanks Ryan, anyone have the #'s to the other guages?
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2004, 03:55 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
thanks Ryan, anyone have the #'s to the other guages?

Randy

Have a look here If you don't find what you're looking for let me know and I'll get you the information I used to replace all of my OEM gauges for VDO Vison.

DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2004, 04:11 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
thanks DJ... I forgot about that.
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2004, 04:35 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
thanks DJ... I forgot about that.

No worries. Just be sure to double check the part numbers on some of them. A few are out of date.

DJ
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:02 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yeah, I can't figure out which is the right fuel guage to use. What a PITA
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:31 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Randy,

This may not help since the 90 fuel level sender seems to be different than the 110, but my sender resistance range is 9-325 ohm. I used Datcon gauges so I don't know what VDO gauge will work with your sender, but try to confirm the sender resistance range and get the corresponding gauge. On my fuel gauge I still had to wire in some resistors to get it to work right.
Old February 4th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Giffstone
Drew Tomkinson
1997 NAS Defender 90 SW #0369

Registry
Question Dashboard Lights on a 95 NAS D90

Hey Now

I've had my D90 for about eight months and still absolutely love it. It's a marked upgrade from the series 2A especially in the fact that the heat actually does something and I can use it for everyday life. However I am looking for a logical upgrade for my dashboard lights because at night I can't see anything. If anyone has solved this problem please let me know. Thanks

Drew
Old February 4th, 2006, 03:29 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

I'm assuming your speaking of the dashboard meters, e.g speedometer, water, fuel, & tach? If so I recommend ditching them for some VDO gauges. They're a direct drop in. You'll have to modify some wires but its nothing you can't do in an hour or two.

If you're interested I can post some pictures of mine and provide you with some part numbers.

Regards

DJ
Old February 4th, 2006, 03:58 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

DJ......post those pictures!!!

And #'s please.
Old February 4th, 2006, 04:28 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I think he means the lights themselves, not the gauges.

When you flip the dash light switch to high do they improve? I have no problem seeing mine in low - except for the clock. On high they are actually too bright.

Now, could be that the 97's were an improvement over yours but I doubt it. Then again, I'm always amazed that everyone complains about these.

You can find direct replacement LED's for these bulbs but they're too bright for my taste.
Old February 4th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Do the VDO guages contain their own lights?

Ide like to see pics and the part numbers too. How much where all of them if you dont mind me asking?
Old February 6th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Giffstone
Drew Tomkinson
1997 NAS Defender 90 SW #0369

Registry
yes I meant the guage lights

Quite right Art, I'm asking for possible suggestions to make the guage lights brighter ( I've removed the little green cover from the tach bulb and it's now bright enough but the speedo, fuel and temp guages are different and even trying much brighter bulbs seems to make no difference. I'd love to see the VDO pics. Thanks everyone
Old February 6th, 2006, 10:34 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The VDO gauges is one of the best upgrades you can do on the inside of your truck. THey look 200% better.

Get them here cheap www.egauges.com/vd2_main.asp

Either the vision or the Industrial Black series work well. I have a few Of the industrial black guages if someone is interested. PM me
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:36 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Seems silly, and I don't know '95's well. But on the '97, their is dimming button on the lower left hand console below the steering wheel. That doesn't help?
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The VDO's are a great upgrade, and one of the few options for a matching speedometer that doesnt require modifying the dash.

I'm currently using an autometer Cobalt short sweep coolant gauge, and was originally going to go with that set. Nice LED backlit numbers, and they have a programmable fuel gauge available as well as programmable speedometer.... though the speedo is a size smaller at 3 3/8" and you'll need to add something to fill the gap from the factory 4" speedometer. I plan on doing a whole new dash panel anyways, so no big deal really.

But now they have the Phantom II series which also has LED backlit numbers but a nicer looking face, and I may go with that instead if they come out with the programmable fuel gauge.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:57 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Yes, it helps me as I keep it on low. On high I get too much reflection off the side window.

Look, the stock gauges can be bright. Perhaps your bulbs aren't getting enough juice? Connect a direct line to a couple of them and see if there's a difference.

However, if you want accurate readings (especially coolant gauge) and consistent look then change them all. ISSPRO also makes a good looking line. I have their EGT gauge with a white face and it's great. Go to egauges.com
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

As I recall, my 97 didn't have the dimming switch. But behind the dash was the socket where the switch would plug in. I cut out the plastic over the switch blank, bought a switch, and voila ... two settings of brightness. But I don't remember whether what I started with was bright or dim....
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

LOL with the factory bulbs, covers and switch it's not 'bright' and 'dim' ..... it's 'dim' and 'really dim'

If too much light is a concern, than don't go with the autometers, they are really bright and since they are LED's they can't be dimmed.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 7th, 2006, 05:48 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer
DJ......post those pictures!!!

And #'s please.
Sorry about the delay, while I don't have any working pictures available (D90 is in the shop) I do have some of the installation. I have left a list of the part numbers for the VDO gauges below. As for swapping out the lights I guess you could do that but I'm not sure where to find a bulb that possesses a higher wattage nor am I aware of the listed wattage. Personally the VDO's are far superior and less expensive in the long run as any accessory or part is easy to find.

I purchased all of my senders and gauges from egauges.com. Also all of the gauges are VDO Vision Black Series and are 2 1/16 in diameter except for the Speedometer which is 4-in.

Electronic Speedo: 85MPH (#437 154), however these might be out of production by now so you'll have to use the 120MPH (#437 155)
Speedo Sender: GM Sender (#340 011)

Temp Gauge: 250F/150C Range (#310 105)
Temp Sender: #323-417 (M16x1.5).
Tachometer: 6K RPM (#333 158) Just use the same wire from your alternator.

Fuel Gauge: Vision (#301 105) Again just use the same wire from the sender in the tank. There is no need to swap that out.

Electrically the only modifications that you'll have to perform are to establish new connections for the programmable speedometer and exchange the OEM light sockets for the VDO sockets using the same wires. The other issue is the Speedo sensor. You can do it yourself or take it to a speedometer-shop and have them install it. I had a shop do it for about $50.

Ill post some of my install pictures later tonight.

Regards

DJ
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:01 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Thanks DJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
installation, part, parts, problems