VDO Gauge Parts/Installation/Problems Merged Threads - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 14th, 2008, 12:07 AM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
1994 D90

i drove it around for a little and i noticed that when i turned on the headlights that the needle moved all the way over to the right. basically pegging to the right on the gauge.
also when i used the turn signal the needle would lightly move back and forth in time of the signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 14th, 2008, 12:23 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Take the guage out, give it its very own ground (ground the other wire somewhere else) and reinstall. My VDO did exactly the same thing in the Tdi, but when I installed one in the V8 truck, I gave it a dedicated ground and it works perfectly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 14th, 2008, 09:17 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Take the guage out, give it its very own ground (ground the other wire somewhere else) and reinstall. My VDO did exactly the same thing in the Tdi, but when I installed one in the V8 truck, I gave it a dedicated ground and it works perfectly.

Mine too Jim... I also ran a ground strap from the t-case to the frame which solved all my gauge problems.
Old February 14th, 2008, 04:59 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
1994 D90

ok, taken a closer look at what i did and what was going to the back of the old temp gauge. there was 3 ground wires going to the back of the old temp guage, 2 black wires were together (soldered together before) coming out of the harness so i just twist them together, crimped them as one and placed on the back of the new temp gauge. the 3rd one is coming off the back of the tachometers grounding point. so its basically a black wire extending from back of tach to the back of the temp gauge, there is another black wire coming out of the harness as well, which is going directly into the tach (assuming thats the ground for the tach?).

looked at both diagrams for the tach and the old temp gauge in the back of the workshop manual from what i can understand there is just one ground for the tach (ground symbol coming off the tach itself) and one ground for the temp at the point of the temp sensor (grounding symbol coming off the sensor).

when i disconnect this "extra" ground wire everything seemed to work fine?

let me know if i am missing something.

ps. been told i have a thing for absolutes.
Old February 25th, 2008, 07:01 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
1994 D90

Angry Vdo Help Please

first, i appreicate all the help you guys have given me.
second, im still having problems with the vdo temp guage.

with that said. you can pick up the history on the other threads i have posted. to secure the gauge to the instrument panel i used the screw on "cup" that came with it which is made out of plastic. the green-blue wire is hooked up to the (S) spade on the back of the vdo with the green wire going into the positive connector. does seem to be a grounding issue. when i turn on the headllights it goes all the way to the right or with any switch it will move a little bit. even when im running a test ground wire to the bulkhead from the negative terminal on the guage. i was told before to ground the temp guage seperately so i figured one of the screws that run along the top behind the instrument panel. that did not work, i figured that its more plastic then metal so it didnt seem to ground.

the two black wires coming out of the wiring harness that connected to the old temp guage where do i ground those to?

the black wire that ran between the tach and the old temp guage where do i ground that to? or do i not have to worry about that anymore?

the fan clutch was replaced summer of last year. and the color and antifreeze tester show normal. radiator was replaced in late 04, early 05.

i do have the orginal factory repair manuel from 1994. so it does not have the complete circuit diagram like you do for the s3 and what have you.

thanks for any assistance.
Old February 25th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
http://www.egauges.com/pdf/vdo/0-515-012-123.pdf

Switched +12 volts to the "+" connector
Ground to the "-" connector
Sensor wire to the "S" connector.

Not sure about NAS90s.... but on regular 90s, the green wire is the switched +12 volt. Ground is black. The sensor wire is Green with a blue stripe. This sounds like what you wrote.

What sender are you using? It must be a VDO sender. If it has only one connector, it grounds through the engine. When you put the sender in, did you put anything on the threads?
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:55 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
1994 D90

nope, no plumbers tape or the like just bare metal to bare metal
Old March 10th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 D90 200tdi LHD

I think the part number on the Oil Pressure Gauge should be #350-108. The part number you show is for the water temp guage.

And the adaptor is "5-1/8 F5OG-S" (the letter O, not the number zero)
Old March 10th, 2008, 08:49 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I find its easier to convert the old sender than to buy an adapter. I've just knocked out the guts of the stock sender and had a threaded bung welded onto it. That way you can get any size NPT sender you want.

Old March 10th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 D90 200tdi LHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I find its easier to convert the old sender than to buy an adapter. I've just knocked out the guts of the stock sender and had a threaded bung welded onto it. That way you can get any size NPT sender you want.
That sounds much less expensive. It would be nice to have a "bung" welded somewhere on the truck too.
Old March 10th, 2008, 10:41 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I have at least one bung on each of my trucks. I try not to talk about it too loudly though...

Whoever came up with that name for a threaded chunk of metal really out to be hurt. The same with the person who appropriated the german word for "hose" into the english lexicon: schlong.

Old March 10th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 D90 200tdi LHD

I just replaced about 8 inches of schlong this weekend. It was all dry-rotted.

Follow-up Post:

Sorry, I should've left that one alone.
Old September 11th, 2008, 08:53 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I tried the two PN's for the temp sending units posted above. Have any of you had any trouble with the sending units? They may have sent the wrong part so I havent ruled that out. I wanted to ask before I start ordering more parts. Thanks.
Old September 12th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 D90 200tdi LHD

Mine are installed and appear to be working properly. What's you definition of "trouble"?
Old September 12th, 2008, 08:27 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I tried both of the ones posted in DJ's initial parts list and neither will work, they are too small. So I stuck the stocker sensor in but naturally the gauge isnt really correct.
Old September 12th, 2008, 08:47 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I had to use the 323-417 I think, IIRC my sender was the M16 size, not the M14.

Old September 13th, 2008, 07:48 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Thanks, I will try a couple of more. I havent had any luck with the local "speed shops" or parts houses. I hate to wait on egauges to ship. Thanks for your help.
Old September 27th, 2008, 10:25 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Ordered the 323-417 the M16 thread and it fit and everything works properly. Extremely nice and I am really glad I have a real temperature gauge. I did not change out the speedo but other wise everything looks great and the night time performance is far superior to the stock. Highly reccomend the VDO gauges.
Old September 27th, 2008, 12:18 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Menasco
Sorry about the delay, while I don't have any working pictures available (D90 is in the shop) I do have some of the installation. I have left a list of the part numbers for the VDO gauges below. As for swapping out the lights I guess you could do that but I'm not sure where to find a bulb that possesses a higher wattage nor am I aware of the listed wattage. Personally the VDO's are far superior and less expensive in the long run as any accessory or part is easy to find.

I purchased all of my senders and gauges from egauges.com. Also all of the gauges are VDO Vision Black Series and are 2 1/16 in diameter except for the Speedometer which is 4-in.

Electronic Speedo: 85MPH (#437 154), however these might be out of production by now so you'll have to use the 120MPH (#437 155)
Speedo Sender: GM Sender (#340 011)

Temp Gauge: 250F/150C Range (#310 105)
Temp Sender: 250F/150C Range (#323-417). This is for a late 95, 3.9L. The It should be M16x1.5 (#323 417).

Tachometer: 6K RPM (#333 158) Just use the same wire from your alternator.

Fuel Gauge: Vision (#301 105) Again just use the same wire from the sender in the tank. There is no need to swap that out.

Electrically the only modifications that you'll have to perform are to establish new connections for the programmable speedometer and exchange the OEM light sockets for the VDO sockets using the same wires. The other issue is the Speedo sensor. You can do it yourself or take it to a speedometer-shop and have them install it. I had a shop do it for about $50.

Ill post some of my install pictures later tonight.

Regards

DJ
Updated the sender info. with correct dimensions and VDO part number.
Old November 14th, 2008, 10:34 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Just wanted to say thanks to all that posted on this thread and especially to DJ Menasco for the complete writeup. I wouldn't have been able to figure out the install without it. Great description and pictures.

The VDO guages are very nice and worth the upgrade. The only problem I am having is the Tach light isn't as bright as the Temp and Fuel level. Tach does match the stock Speedo so it sorta balances it out but I wouldn't mind seeing the numbers better at night. For all I know it might just be the bulb. Add to the "bothers me but I have other crap to fix first list"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
installation, part, parts, problems