VDO Gauge Parts/Installation/Problems Merged Threads - Page 16 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old March 7th, 2016, 09:35 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
are they able to set the 97 style orm gauge and repair the lcd on it? what was the cost of svc they did for you?
I am not sure if they can do a 1997 gauge.

It only cost me shipping to PA.

I called them first to see if I needed a RA number (which I didn't). And they were easy to get in touch with and talk to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2016, 10:50 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I'm planning on adding an oil pressure gauge and boost gauge to my 300Tdi and want to be sure I order everything at the same time.
0-80PSI Gauge 350-104
Sender 360-006 w/ M10x1K thread
30 PSI Boost Gauge 150-104
Adapter: M12 X 1.5 X 1/8 NPT

Is the thread correct and do I need a spacer?
I have read two different things regarding the thread and pitch.
Lastly which tubing for the boost gauge did you have success with?

Thanks all!
Old June 3rd, 2016, 09:30 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Anybody?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2016, 08:56 AM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Could someone confirm what temperature sender I need for a 200TDI out of a Discovery please?

I have either missed it or can't find it.
Old June 11th, 2016, 11:27 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
0-80PSI Gauge 350-104 and Sender 360-006 w/ M10x1K thread are what I bought for my 300Tdi. I test fitted the sender today and it screwed in fine with just enough clearance. Full VDO gauge swap is on the to do list for later this week.

Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
I'm planning on adding an oil pressure gauge and boost gauge to my 300Tdi and want to be sure I order everything at the same time.
0-80PSI Gauge 350-104
Sender 360-006 w/ M10x1K thread
30 PSI Boost Gauge 150-104
Adapter: M12 X 1.5 X 1/8 NPT

Is the thread correct and do I need a spacer?
I have read two different things regarding the thread and pitch.
Lastly which tubing for the boost gauge did you have success with?

Thanks all!
Old June 19th, 2016, 03:13 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
custom aluminum boxes for VDO Clock and external air temps

For the last few years I've been running a VDO external air temperature gauge in my truck. I had it mounted in a custom box I made and attached to an overhead tray I made to hold maps, sunglasses etc. The view of the stock location for the truck's clock is in a location that is regularly blocked by a small netbook I use to display my GPS maps. So I wanted a view of a truck clock that can be seen from any view point in the truck. I used the same design as my single gauge box to make a dual "time and temp" box. I also run a small but bright red LED to illuminate dash mounted switches. I attaches pics so you could see the end result. The finish on the dual gauge box is just brushed aluminum.... I will eventually paint it black on my next "paint" day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	temp1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	152193   Click image for larger version

Name:	temp2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	368.8 KB
ID:	152194  

Name:	temp3.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	152195   Click image for larger version

Name:	time&temp1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	411.6 KB
ID:	152196  

Name:	time&temp2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	390.5 KB
ID:	152197   Click image for larger version

Name:	time&temp3.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	152198  

Name:	time&temp4.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	311.2 KB
ID:	152199  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 24th, 2016, 10:21 AM
Yorkie
Mark Whitehouse
1989 D90

Registry
So it looks like I will be starting my VDO conversion sooner rather than later due to a suspected issue with a water temp sender. If confirmed I will be changing both the sender and gauge.

I have read through this thread but couldn't find the confirmation of what I need for my 3.5 v8 engine.

I suspect I need part no 310-1051 from 310-1051: Vision Black Electrical Engine Temperature Gauge | VDO Gauges | eBuggies.com and that the adapter bushings will probably not be required.

Could someone please confirm this is correct, also does anyone know if the cable needed from sender to gauge is included?

Thanks
Old July 24th, 2016, 03:42 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It is either 1/8" NPT or M16x1.5. You need to look yourself to see what is there. You use the original wiring in the truck.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 25th, 2016, 05:48 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
OK, so the the new VDO fuel, temp and oil pressure gauges are working as they should. Problem I am having is with the new speedo. When I go through the calibration process, I end up with a F 0.0 error, which means no usable impulse was detected. Tried several times, same result. I guess the big question is, do I have the speedo connected properly?

I have the proper speed transducer. It has three contact pins. I used the two outer pins and these are connected to 7 and 8 on the VDO speedo. The middle pin is connected to 3 (ground) on the speedo then run to ground. Would it make a difference if I reversed the wires connected to 7 and 8, or does that matter?

Only other thing I can think of is I have a dodgy connector at the speed transducer, but pretty sure I put it together correctly.

Brett
Old July 25th, 2016, 05:59 PM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose View Post
OK, so the the new VDO fuel, temp and oil pressure gauges are working as they should. Problem I am having is with the new speedo. When I go through the calibration process, I end up with a F 0.0 error, which means no usable impulse was detected. Tried several times, same result. I guess the big question is, do I have the speedo connected properly?

I have the proper speed transducer. It has three contact pins. I used the two outer pins and these are connected to 7 and 8 on the VDO speedo. The middle pin is connected to 3 (ground) on the speedo then run to ground. Would it make a difference if I reversed the wires connected to 7 and 8, or does that matter?

Only other thing I can think of is I have a dodgy connector at the speed transducer, but pretty sure I put it together correctly.

Brett
Hi, Moose-

When you installed the speedo transducer in/on the transfer case, did you confirm that the speedo drive square female hole is actually the correct size for the transducer's male square end? On one of my trucks, it was just large enough to spin around the drive cable without actually turning it. I had to carefully squish the end to get it to engage properly.

The way you can easily test if it's this is to disconnect the transducer from the t-box with it's wiring all still connected, put the truck in the accessory position on the ignition (don't start it, as you'll be under the car ) and spin the transducer square drive. Have a friend/wife tell you if the speedo needle moves. I was about to rewire the whole thing until this showed me the wiring was correct.

Murph
'89 D110SW
'16 LR4

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
D90s sold while assigned overseas. You're welcome America!
'06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
'8X FankenRover D100
Old July 25th, 2016, 06:51 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
If you have the sender with three pins, it is a hall effect sensor and must be wired as a hall effect sender with three wires.

Which sender did you purchase?

Old July 26th, 2016, 04:06 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeloBubba View Post
Hi, Moose-

When you installed the speedo transducer in/on the transfer case, did you confirm that the speedo drive square female hole is actually the correct size for the transducer's male square end? On one of my trucks, it was just large enough to spin around the drive cable without actually turning it. I had to carefully squish the end to get it to engage properly.

The way you can easily test if it's this is to disconnect the transducer from the t-box with it's wiring all still connected, put the truck in the accessory position on the ignition (don't start it, as you'll be under the car ) and spin the transducer square drive. Have a friend/wife tell you if the speedo needle moves. I was about to rewire the whole thing until this showed me the wiring was correct.

Murph
Yes, I compared the drive square on the new sender was the same size as the one on the old speedo cable so good to go there. I thought about testing spinning the transducer but with the speedo not working on my test drive, I "assumed" the speedo did not register until the calibration had been completed. The instructions do say the speedo will not operate during the actual calibration though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
If you have the sender with three pins, it is a hall effect sensor and must be wired as a hall effect sender with three wires.

Which sender did you purchase?
I have the YBE100530 sender. My 110 has the 300Tdi/R380 but was originally 2.5NA with a stubby R380.

Brett
Old July 26th, 2016, 04:33 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Yes, I compared the drive square on the new sender was the same size as the one on the old speedo cable so good to go there. I thought about testing spinning the transducer but with the speedo not working on my test drive, I "assumed" the speedo did not register until the calibration had been completed. The instructions do say the speedo will not operate during the actual calibration though. I have the YBE100530 sender. My 110 has the 300Tdi/R380 but was originally 2.5NA with a stubby R380. Brett
That is a Hall effect sender. You need to run three wire and wire as per the instructions for a Hall effect sender. It will work prior to calibration.

Old July 26th, 2016, 04:42 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
OK, easy enough. Thanks for the clarification John.

Brett
Old July 26th, 2016, 04:58 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
From http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...r-26385-3.html

The VDO sender has 3 wires:
Pin 1 on sender: white/Green (positive) - to pin 2 on speedo
Pin 2 (Center pin) on sender: Black (ground) - to pin 3 on speedo
Pin 3 on sender: Red/black (signal) - to pins 6 and 8 on speedo

Old July 27th, 2016, 05:45 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
Bugga! Still no joy. Rewired at the speedo end as per the Hall effect sender diagram (same as above) but still no movement at the needle. Either I have pins 1 and 3 wired reversed at the sender, but pretty sure it's correct, or I didn't quite manage to assemble the new plug properly. Out of time this evening but will take another stab at it tomorrow.

Brett
Old July 28th, 2016, 09:57 AM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

So I followed this write-up and seem to have a few problems. I just wanted to confirm a few things. Now he is on a 93 110 and mine is a 94 90 both with the 3.9, so I hope the harnesses are the same. Are they?

black and green wire = signal/sender for fuel correct?
- I have about 4 gallons of gas in the tank but register 0 on the gauge.

black and blue wire = signal/sender for temp correct?
- It seems to jump up a little right at start up and just sit there. I haven't heated it all the way up, but given my fuel gauge issue thought I might have the wires reversed for these 2 gauges.

Looking at the dip switches on the back of the tach (with it right side up) from left to right they should be up, up, down?
-I get tach response, but it is kind of bouncey and all over the place.

As usual I am an idiot, so any help is appreciated.
Old July 30th, 2016, 04:48 AM
Sand110
Steve Day
1988 110 County Station Wagon

Please help!

I have installed VDO Vision Series gauges (voltmeter, water temp, fuel) into my 1989, 110 successfully with the exception of the fuel gauge.

It reads empty when it's full and vice versa. Many people have stated on threads that the gauge should be a straight swap, so I can see where I've gone wrong. Any help much appreciated!
Old July 30th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand110 View Post
Please help!

I have installed VDO Vision Series gauges (voltmeter, water temp, fuel) into my 1989, 110 successfully with the exception of the fuel gauge.

It reads empty when it's full and vice versa. Many people have stated on threads that the gauge should be a straight swap, so I can see where I've gone wrong. Any help much appreciated!
What model gauge did you buy? Is the wiring correct?

Old July 30th, 2016, 08:46 AM
Sand110
Steve Day
1988 110 County Station Wagon

Thanks Red90, I purchased this model from Merlin Motorsport:

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p...type-301010002

I did the wiring myself and is correct.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
installation, part, parts, problems