VDO Gauge Parts/Installation/Problems Merged Threads - Page 12 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old April 12th, 2011, 03:42 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

that last exchange was so fun to read. Who's on first,Wire? no electrical wire!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2011, 10:34 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks everyone for helping me through my first wiring job. Thanks to DJ Menasco for an excellent write up and to John for answering all my silly questions. I successfully replaced all stock gauges and installed a Td5 style transducer for the speedo last weekend. Everything works great with the exception of the tach that needs to be tuned. A laser tach is on its way.

I highly suggest installing High Power LED's while you're at it. I have the wrong LED's installed in the attached image so the spread is not even but it gives you a good idea of how bright they are. The picture doesn't do it justice. In reality they are much greener and brighter.

The correct LED bulbs to use for the VDO dash gauges are:

Speedometer: 2 x WLED-GHP5
Fuel Guage: 1 x WLED-GHP5
Water Temperature: 1 x WLED-GHP5
Tachometer: 1 x 74-GHP3

If you prefer a different color than green swap out the "G". Bulbs are from Superbrightleds.com.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VDO Dash.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	40011  
Old August 7th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Arjun
Arjun
None

Ok, I've run into a bit of a problem with the install for the tach. The VDO instructions say connect to the "A/C Tap Out" winding of the alternator. I googled tach installs and every forum thread I've read says to hook up the tach to the "W" winding on the alternator show here (with the "?"):

http://www.reedx.net/landrover/mods/...nter/index.htm

Well I did that and as soon as I fire the truck up, the tach needle sweeps to the 6K max mark. What am I doing wrong?

Help!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	alternator.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	40941  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 8th, 2011, 02:18 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
Ok, I've run into a bit of a problem with the install for the tach. The VDO instructions say connect to the "A/C Tap Out" winding of the alternator. I googled tach installs and every forum thread I've read says to hook up the tach to the "W" winding on the alternator show here (with the "?"):

http://www.reedx.net/landrover/mods/...nter/index.htm

Well I did that and as soon as I fire the truck up, the tach needle sweeps to the 6K max mark. What am I doing wrong?

Help!
Check the switches on the back of the gauge...I do not remember the exact positions required but I do recall that they must be changed. In this thread someone discussed the appropriate settings
Old August 9th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Arjun
Arjun
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
Check the switches on the back of the gauge...I do not remember the exact positions required but I do recall that they must be changed. In this thread someone discussed the appropriate settings
Thanks. I just saw DJ Menasco's post (#21). Will try that next weekend and hopefully it will work.
Old August 9th, 2011, 08:11 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Thanks. I just saw DJ Menasco's post (#21). Will try that next weekend and hopefully it will work.
It should...when I installed mine I had the same problem at first as I hadn't paid attention to the post. Once I flipped the switches all was well again!
Old August 9th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Or you guys could read the instructions that come with the gauge....
Old August 9th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Not helpful. None of the dip switch settings in the instructions worked for me nor did the advice in this thread. I found the answer elsewhere. In my experience, the instructions for all the various defender accessories I have gotten have ranged from poor to pointless.
Old August 9th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Arjun
Arjun
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Or you guys could read the instructions that come with the gauge....
Like Carl said, the instructions that came with tach just say hook it up to the alternator "A/C Tap Out". It took googling to find out about the W terminal and then even that didn't work.
Old August 9th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Like Carl said, the instructions that came with tach just say hook it up to the alternator "A/C Tap Out". It took googling to find out about the W terminal and then even that didn't work.
Instructions are pretty darn clear if you ask me.... http://www.egauges.com/pdf/vdo/0-515-012-044.pdf

Really, you just flip the dip switches until the reading is in the ballpark and then adjust the pot until is is exactly correct. There are only 8 possible dip switch settings. You can't hurt the tach.
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Arjun
Arjun
None

Quote:
Instructions are pretty darn clear if you ask me.... http://www.egauges.com/pdf/vdo/0-515-012-044.pdf

Really, you just flip the dip switches until the reading is in the ballpark and then adjust the pot until is is exactly correct. There are only 8 possible dip switch settings. You can't hurt the tach.
Did what the instructions said, still didn't work. I think I'll just start messing with the dip switches.
Old August 9th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Did what the instructions said, still didn't work. I think I'll just start messing with the dip switches.
Is the connector you used actually marked with a "W" or are you assuming it is the right one? Not all alternators have a W terminal.
Old August 9th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Arjun
Arjun
None

Quote:
Is the connector you used actually marked with a "W" or are you assuming it is the right one? Not all alternators have a W terminal.
Terminal actually has "W" stamped next to it. The other terminals have "B" and "D" stamped next to them.
Old October 11th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Yudda
Rob
1997/300tdi/110

thank you all for the info !
Old November 19th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Question H2O sender

I bought the VDO water temp gauge and 1/8 sender...

The sender looks like that in the picture, with the stupid mushroom end.
The stock sender on top of my 300 Tdi has a square spade connector (to match the square plug).

How on earth do I connect it??

Please don't just say "the stock connector will just slide over it",
because I tried to pull it off the sender a few mins ago with pliers and it's just stuck there.
I gave up as I don't want to break it.

What am I missing here?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	323-900D.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	43805  
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Old November 19th, 2011, 06:46 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The stock connector won't slide over it, but a standard receptacle for a spade connector will. The mushroom just acts like a spade and the connector can rotate any direction. Kinda clever actually.

Old November 19th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Guten tag!

Any pic of this "standard receptacle"?

I'm googling it...

(edit) only to find common female connectors...

If so, I can't think of a lesser dodgy job...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spade-connector-female.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	43808  
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old November 19th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Jim is right. I just picked up a spade connector at the hardware store and it fit perfectly.
Old November 19th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
I feel retarded.
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old November 19th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Tino.R
Tino Rebelo
67/series IIA

michele if the female conn. looks like the one on the picture remove the plastic cover (if you have one) and slide side ways should work.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
installation, part, parts, problems