VDO Gauge Parts/Installation/Problems Merged Threads - Page 10 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old January 30th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

He did. He went too far. It was set beyond the point where it was doing any good, just produced more smoke. I turned it down to a more reasonable level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
Perhaps the PO increased the fueling. Believe it or not, more power can be had without any change in mileage....
------ Follow up post added January 30th, 2011 09:59 AM ------

So, oil pressure. How important is it to monitor it and why?

------ Follow up post added January 30th, 2011 10:10 AM ------

You are both right but I would argue that it is possible to determine that it has been messed with. At least in general. You could tell mine had been messed with from all the smoke when driving. You just couldn't tell how much or what the EGT temp was.

So now I'm torn. Should i return the oil pressure gauge for an EGT gauge or not?

Is it pointless to have a voltmeter gauge if you run dual batteries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi
Which is virtually impossible to determine without a pyrometer. The newest of these engines is now 5 years old and most have been "touched" by someone.
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2011, 03:59 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
For those who have installed the VDO oil pressure gauge on a 3.9L, what kind of readings are you getting at idle?
Old January 30th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
He did. He went too far. It was set beyond the point where it was doing any good, just produced more smoke. I turned it down to a more reasonable level.

------ Follow up post added January 30th, 2011 09:59 AM ------

So, oil pressure. How important is it to monitor it and why?

------ Follow up post added January 30th, 2011 10:10 AM ------

You are both right but I would argue that it is possible to determine that it has been messed with. At least in general. You could tell mine had been messed with from all the smoke when driving. You just couldn't tell how much or what the EGT temp was.

So now I'm torn. Should i return the oil pressure gauge for an EGT gauge or not?

I guess you are starting to get my point, which is you cannot determine whether or not an injection pump has been tweaked unless you know the pumps history, or the person who changed it made markings which many do not. Simply turning one back with no real idea where you are is absolutely NO insurance unless there were reference markings made by the person who tweaked it which as said above often isn't the case. Tuning one to an egt gauge is the only way to have any peace of mind.
You cannot tell if a pump has been tweaked by the amount of smoke. All that means is that there is insufficient air for complete combustion- this could also mean a clogged air filter,intercooler, boost leak, kinked hose elbow, or a very weak turbo. I have a friend with a tdi 110 who has owned his truck since new and has never touched his IP and its the smokiest one I have ever seen.

Oil pressure is more important than temp. When oil gets very hot, pressure tends to drop-ie you can infer one from the other. That said you cannot tell what your pressure is from a temp gauge-ie doesn't work vice versa. Lack of oil pressure will wipe out your engine whereas hot oil will not.

I think volt meters are important when you are running things from the battery bank when the engine isn't running-like a fridge in camp all weekend. Ie on my boat, when I walk into the cabin I look to the left and see what my battery status is before climbing up to the bridge and trying to fire it up. Once its running I use seperate amp meter's for each engine even though they both feed the same battery banks. So in the case of a 300 tdi where you only need 12 volts to start it and keep the fuel solenoid from closing, and wipers, lights, heater when conditions dictate it; I don't see nearly as much value in a volt meter as in an amp meter which tells you what your alternator is putting out, ie I use an amp meter to gauge alternator condition and a volt meter for battery condition. That said its your engine monitor it as you choose.

Jeff 12-17 when hot. Oil pressure sender/idiot light comes on @ 7.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2011, 06:55 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post

Jeff 12-17 when hot. Oil pressure sender/idiot light comes on @ 7.
thanks Doug...mine runs around 20-22 at startup and drops to 15ish at temp so I was worried that maybe those values were a little low. I'm used to my some of my other older vehicles that would run around 40 at temp
Old January 30th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
thanks Doug...mine runs around 20-22 at startup and drops to 15ish at temp so I was worried that maybe those values were a little low. I'm used to my some of my other older vehicles that would run around 40 at temp
20-22 on start up is low..... what are you running 0-40W ?

Dividing Creek Imports

Old January 31st, 2011, 05:43 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yeah, running 0W-40 Mobil1. Depending on outside air temp it may be as high as 27-28psi but never above 30 on startup. Think I should try switching oil?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Old January 31st, 2011, 08:59 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:

The EGTs can be high without visible smoke.

I would personally suggest a digital gauge with max memory. It is MUCH more useful than an analog gauge. These guys have a great deal, http://stores.ebay.com/Auber-Instruments

A voltmeter is great as well, but again it needs to be digital to be really useful. A half a volt this way or that tells a lot about the charging system and battery condition.
Old January 31st, 2011, 09:58 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
Yeah, running 0W-40 Mobil1. Depending on outside air temp it may be as high as 27-28psi but never above 30 on startup. Think I should try switching oil?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
nah just end up killing that weak a$$ed v8 starter sooner.You know what you're doing.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 1st, 2011, 01:31 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks for the primer, Doug.

I think I will return the Volt meter for an EGT gauge. I have a blanking plate on my 300tdi so I guess I can install the sender there?

I'm all for accurate readings but I'm also trying to keep the upgrades looking as stock as possible. Hence the VDO dials.
Old February 1st, 2011, 08:36 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Thanks for the primer, Doug.

I think I will return the Volt meter for an EGT gauge. I have a blanking plate on my 300tdi so I guess I can install the sender there?

I'm all for accurate readings but I'm also trying to keep the upgrades looking as stock as possible. Hence the VDO dials.
Yes thats the easiest place on a 300. I would suggest you remove that plate and look @ the angle that the probe has to enter the plate. Ie you need to drill that plate @ an angle.
John is right about digital probably being best on the market but would agree that the VDO analog sure looks more in keeping with the spartan interior.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 1st, 2011, 09:59 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
EGT pyrometer install- I installed mine into the 300tdi exhaust manifold EGR blankoff plate as recommended here and elsewhere. The original plate was quite thin and my ministrations on it did it no favors, and it warped and would never seal. I made a new one using 3/16" plate and it still leaked. I even cleaned up the mating surface and flattened it on a belt sender. Fucker still leaks. In my opinion this will need to be made up of 1/4" or better plate. Anybody else have this experience? (I even went as far as to braze the fitting in before cutting the plate from the larger sheet, to try to control warpage)
Old February 6th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I received my new speedo yesterday (437-155). I also ordered the YBE100540 Speedo Transducer which is supposed to work with this speedo. What are the next steps. Do I need a new cable? If so, what kind and where do I get it? Can I take it to a speedo shop without them messing it up?
Old February 6th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
No cable needed. Just wire it up.
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:42 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

I still have never gotten my programmable speedo to work correctly with VSS.
It will "wake up" occasionally after long sustained driving but seems to get angry with the wipers or turn signals. It's inconsistent at best.
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Do you recall the part number? During my research I found that there are two part numbers. The older one had some reliability issues and the newer one was much better from what I read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
I still have never gotten my programmable speedo to work correctly with VSS.
It will "wake up" occasionally after long sustained driving but seems to get angry with the wipers or turn signals. It's inconsistent at best.
------ Follow up post added February 8th, 2011 02:12 PM ------

You mean I reuse the existing cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
No cable needed. Just wire it up.
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:13 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

I bought the newer YBE unit.

Although I never found any straight info on how to wire the output from the VSS to the VDO speedo. I just tried pretty much every configuration I could think of. If someone has specific instructions I'd like to look them over.
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
You mean I reuse the existing cable?
No, the new sender goes straight into the transfer case. You just run wires from it to the speedo.

There is some confusion.... JSQ has a V8 which has an existing VSS inline with the cable. You have a 300TDI which does not have this. The V8 VSS "should" work...
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Ok. What kind of wires?
Old February 8th, 2011, 02:27 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
No, the new sender goes straight into the transfer case. You just run wires from it to the speedo.

There is some confusion.... JSQ has a V8 which has an existing VSS inline with the cable. You have a 300TDI which does not have this. The V8 VSS "should" work...
I have a V8?
That's odd. I guess I should stop putting diesel in it.
Old February 8th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ View Post
I have a V8?
That's odd. I guess I should stop putting diesel in it.
OK, I misread. You have the YBE100540 from a Disco 1. If it does not work for you, it is either broken or you have it hooked up wrong.

http://www.egauges.com/pdf/vdo/0-515-012-051.pdf

It is inductive. Wiring diagram #2. Sensor wired to 7 and 8 on the speedo. I have has this setup for a couple of years. Never had any problems.

------ Follow up post added February 8th, 2011 01:44 PM ------

Quote:
Ok. What kind of wires?
Ones made out of metal (usually copper) with insulation around them?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
installation, part, parts, problems