Updated Dash - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 19th, 2013, 05:02 PM
1995 NAS Defender 90
Nice start BlackField! And we can make these units for pennies on the dollar compared to the puma dash...

I just noticed in your sig that you have Ducatis... we own a cycle shop across the street as well, Ducati is one of our brands. My fiance won't let me get a bike, because she thinks I'll kill myself. I'll have to stick to Rovers...

Old July 19th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Michael Dickin
1986 110 Tithonus - Now Sadly Sold
My 2 cents for what its worth; As nice and updated as the latest Tdci model dashboards look in the Defenders, after using a good few back in the UK I have to say I actually prefer the pre Tdci ones better. The current Tdci dash is bulkier and has a few better factory positions for switches and gauges and so forth, and definitely a better demist/ac system, but actually has fewer places to stash stuff than the older dash's, and also I think its a bit of a half-arsed job when it comes to the steering column, as this is basically the same as it has been since '83. Just now has a hole cut out of the new style dash for the column to protrude, it still squeaks, it still comes loose, and bits still break off it just like it always has done. The other issue with a Tdci style dash is the protrusion into the footwell space, that nearly useless ledge takes up valuable room for your knees. I'm 6'1" and back in the UK we had a fleet of Tdci HiCap 110's we used in our drilling business, the main problem was with as always with a truck cab, the seats cant move back far enough, but with the Tdci dash it was even worse, my knees actually used to rub up constantly against the bottom of the dash.

Old July 19th, 2013, 09:11 PM
barry f
94 ST #395
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
the aesthetics authority has spoken
You can joke but I'm not even talking aesthetics I'm talking functionality. I have yet to see this dash installed on anything but a puma. I would love to see it installed on a v8 where is all worked correctly and wasn't a hack job under the hood.

And then if installed the question still is why if you had the functioning vents. Would you just seal them off? Seems ridiculous.
Originally Posted by DefenderPilot View Post
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Old July 20th, 2013, 08:50 AM
thought this looked pretty good (dash at 8:16):

Old September 18th, 2016, 03:02 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW
Is that steering wheel stock? It looks quite similar to the 930s I had in a couple of 911's. Very nice!

Originally Posted by WD90 View Post
I wish I could retrofit one of these dashes into my '95...

Current fleet: '85 Ninety 3.9 V8i Auto SW, '95 Discovery (restoring it for my Nephew),'07 BMW 335Xi.
Past Land Rovers: '96 Discovery SD, '00 Range Rover HSE, '04 Discovery SE7, '07 Range Rover HSE, '08 LR3 SE7.
Past fleet: '89 Classic Mini, '83 Porsche 911 SC Coupe, '89 911 Carrera targa, '96 911 Carrera 4, '07 Toyota FJ Cruiser, '04 Mini Cooper S, '11 Mini Cooper S Countryman All4.
Old September 18th, 2016, 03:38 PM
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5
Originally Posted by tommyd View Post
thought this looked pretty good (dash at 8:16):

I'm not a big fan of what Icon does to the Defenders. Dash looks like something out of a commercial kitchen.
Old September 18th, 2016, 03:44 PM
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
Originally Posted by CDN38 View Post
I'm not a big fan of what Icon does to the Defenders. Dash looks like something out of a commercial kitchen.
Yes, pretty much all of his custom stuff on the Defender was pretty ugly. He complains about the plastic and spend $20000 making an uglier dash. He really does not understand the Defender and it shows.
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 18th, 2016, 03:54 PM
1985 LR Ninety 2.5di
You could probably buy a bulkhead/dash combo from the uk, or Italy. It'll cost you but at lest it would all fit. Sorting out controls is a different story.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects