Tuffy Overhead Console Install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old July 28th, 2009, 07:11 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Tuffy Overhead Console Install

So I finished the install of my overhead console and you can see the photos here:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/573788668sJUpFo

Photos have basic text notes on the install.

Its a bit Getto but it does what I wanted and I didn't have to cut, drill or otherwise make any changes to the truck. I can take it out in no time and restore the truck to stock if needed.

Not sure what I am going to do with the sun visors as the old ones are too long to go back in. Probably order some cheap used ones from the UK, trim them to fit and color them to match. Waiting on a set of 110 interior lights with black trim to arrive that I plan to install onto the console in place of the old wimpy D90 unit.

It's a just right for the CB but its also very handy as a secure place to store the truck paperwork and my GPS when not in use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Looks like a nice install. I thought about doing the same thing, but you brought out some interesting install conflicts - Did you have to move the mirror? I am assuming yes as the box does look a little low. Also, it looks like you can't wrap the soft top hold-down around the b-pillar of the cage. Oh, and I didn't even fathom the sunvisors not working!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:02 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Thanks Wolf,

I could have chosen to keep the stock mirror but I wanted to fit the electric one that I had kicking around. If I had left off the lower part of the bracket then the stock mirror would have fitted no problem. The mirror mount glued to the windshield is right behind the lower part of the mirror, about 2" or so lower than the console.

On the wrap around for the top, I have been able to fasten it quite a bit. I thought about making a cut in it but decided I can get enough in place by folding it back slightly in the middle and then just attaching the ends. I will take another picture once I finish wiring up the CB, mirror, lights, etc. Waiting on the lights to get here so i can finish it.

The sun visors and the center section of trim that the interior light mounts to where the only real victims. I could have made the 1st bend on the bracket further so that it would have allowed the center trim and light to fit back in, but I thought it would weaken things a little. So I made it as tight up to the header as I could for strength. Also I knew I had better lights (The ones TDI Guy was selling, think Disco 1 lights but with black trim) coming and was planning to install at least 1 of them instead. Now I will just have to find a peice of plastic or vinyl to cover the gap although you can't really see it as the console covers most of it.

The visors are the biggest issue. I read an old post where somebody had fitted a console to I think a 94. On his install he drilled two holes in the top of the windhield frame and installed a footman loop similar to a Jeep so he could use the stock mounting method for the console. He said that he was able to refit the light and also by turning his visors around they where able to be refitted. On mine the visors are too long, whichever way you try to put them in. So I am guessing there is differende between 94 and 97 visors maybe? I will need to source some spares and then cut off the little section at the inner end of each one that normally fits the space above the mirror (if that makes sense?). That would be the only permanent modification to the truck if I did it to my existing visors.

Overall I am really pleased with it. I removed the stereo and I am not sure if I will put one back in, so the CB and my GPS are the only real things worth stealing in the truck normally. The console makes a secure place for both with the added bonus of being able to stash the reg and ins paperwork there as well and lock it all up. So I don't have to worry too much about parking it or getting it wet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2009, 07:32 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
CB is installed and everything is wired up and working.

Still want to add a new interior light into the console to replace the stock one I left out and source some spare Sunvisors to trim down a little.

Otherwise she's done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Closed.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	367.1 KB
ID:	21099   Click image for larger version

Name:	Open.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	21100  

Old August 17th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Nice work, I like the rear mirror too. I hope to do the same thing someday.
Old August 17th, 2009, 09:03 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Thanks Greg. Don't go my way with a LR mirror. It would be a PITA to make a mount and run new wires unless you do it as part of the console install like I did. Others seem to recomend the Gentex units that should fit the existing windscreen mount stud and new ones supposedly come with the harness.

I had a brand new LR one sitting in a box to use and was running wires for the CB anyway so it was no big deal but without the console it would have been a pain for just the mirror.
Old August 18th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Yeah, I hear the Gentex mirrors are the way to go. I have seen them on ebay, map lights, auto dim, compass and temp. One of these days I will get to it.

Amenities like that are low on the priority list! Next thing you know I will be installing power windows and heated seats.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
console