Truck Lite LEDs - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old December 15th, 2014, 03:30 PM
etl330
Everett
95 LWB

I had Truck Lites in my jeep. Output was good, but I recently got a pair of Morimoto Sealed7s from the retrofit source and they're head and shoulders better than the truck lights and hopefully they won't ice up in the snow. More work, but more customizable too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
There are other options as well for proper HIDs and obviously they will be better light, but they are still quite a bit more pricey.

Here are the Hella ones: http://www.rallylights.com/all/light...headlamps.html Looks like the Morimitos are a lot cheaper if you by all the parts and assemble yourself. No idea if they are the same quality level as the Hellas.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old December 16th, 2014, 01:42 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

It looks like the Truck-Lite LED headlamps do meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) 108 requirements, so that's cool. I was planning on going with HID's but then I got educated by Daniel Stern. Turns out it's hard to beat good halogens, so that's what I'm sticking with.

Daniel Stern's HID conversions info: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Daniel Stern info on HID and LED lighting: http://www.searchautoparts.com/after...q-daniel-stern

Washington state explains that the NHTSA declared that it's impossible for HID conversions to meet FMVSS 108 requirements (applicable for any state that has adopted the federal standard): http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/pasfaqs.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2014, 08:49 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
It looks like the Truck-Lite LED headlamps do meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) 108 requirements, so that's cool. I was planning on going with HID's but then I got educated by Daniel Stern. Turns out it's hard to beat good halogens, so that's what I'm sticking with. Daniel Stern's HID conversions info: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html Daniel Stern info on HID and LED lighting: http://www.searchautoparts.com/after...q-daniel-stern Washington state explains that the NHTSA declared that it's impossible for HID conversions to meet FMVSS 108 requirements (applicable for any state that has adopted the federal standard): http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/pasfaqs.htm
I think he's talking about good halogens in vehicles with regular headlights rather than the LED's available for trucks and defenders in the standard 7" format.

There are pro and con for each. LED headlights out perform any halogen combo I've ever tried in my truck and at 1/3 current draw. The downside is the potential snow accumulation due to them not generating heat. I'm being encouraged to travel to winter romp so il be able to report at that time.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 16th, 2014, 05:13 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
I think he's talking about good halogens in vehicles with regular headlights rather than the LED's available for trucks and defenders in the standard 7" format.

There are pro and con for each. LED headlights out perform any halogen combo I've ever tried in my truck and at 1/3 current draw. The downside is the potential snow accumulation due to them not generating heat. I'm being encouraged to travel to winter romp so il be able to report at that time.
Yeah probably. I love LED's. That's definitely where things are headed, but I'd still like to see some NHTSA tests comparing them to halogen such as how well detail can be resolved at distance down the road and glare produced. Has Truck-Lite published their results or what they have on file with the DOT? I agree that heated ones are the way to go.
Old December 16th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
There is a massive comparison thread on another forum where a guy has done testing on every 7" Light in the world. I'm sure Google will find it for you.

Old December 16th, 2014, 07:13 PM
etl330
Everett
95 LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
There is a massive comparison thread on another forum where a guy has done testing on every 7" Light in the world. I'm sure Google will find it for you.

It's the jkowners headlight comparison
Old December 16th, 2014, 07:38 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I don't have any trouble with snow on ANY of my headlights..what is this SNOW you guys keep talking of..????
Old December 16th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
I don't have any trouble with snow on ANY of my headlights..what is this SNOW you guys keep talking of..????
Wanker...
Old December 16th, 2014, 09:13 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Wanker...
Bitch..!!,
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:52 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by etl330 View Post
It's the jkowners headlight comparison
Hmm, he basically just shown them on his garage door (assuming I found the correct one). Doesn't really help me much. I guess what really concerns me is how bright they look to other motorists. There's nothing I can't stand more than some jerk coming up behind me and blinding me in my mirrors with his ultra bright lights. I think the best lights would be brightest as possible for the driver but not blinding other drivers.
Old December 16th, 2014, 11:15 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Hmm, he basically just shown them on his garage door (assuming I found the correct one). Doesn't really help me much. I guess what really concerns me is how bright they look to other motorists. There's nothing I can't stand more than some jerk coming up behind me and blinding me in my mirrors with his ultra bright lights. I think the best lights would be brightest as possible for the driver but not blinding other drivers.
The cut off on the trucklites is excellent.

If they are properly adjusted you'll not be dazzling anyone.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 16th, 2014, 11:35 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Bet you don't have any problems with the heat in a Defender either........

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 18th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
No here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/h...otout-1166827/

Old December 18th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
A good summary of his thoughts, at least two years ago. http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...95#post1169795

And some more up to date thoughts: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...20#post1729920

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects