trouble cranking - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old September 30th, 2013, 03:42 PM
scout110801
Justus
None

trouble cranking

I have an issue with my truck cranking for the a while. I have checked the starter and fuel pump. I finally figured it was the ECU / ECM so I replaced those and it is still happening. It always takes a couple times for it to crank, and some times will not even crank. Go out an hour later and on the third crank it fires up. I am going to try and replace all my filters in a couple days and wanted to see if anybody had any other ideas. Once it cranks I never have a problem with it getting gas. It runs great. Could it be a bad connection some were or corrosion on a plug? Any suggestions would be great. I have a TD5 by the way, and I do not have any error messages. I need to get this fixed, because I really can't drive it with it not cranking. Thanks any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 30th, 2013, 03:48 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Hard to tell without getting more specific, but have you checked the small stuff like ignition switch? If it's not cranking, and you don't hear fuel pump or anything like that, the little ignition switch behind the instruments may be on its way out.
Old September 30th, 2013, 04:01 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout110801 View Post
I have an issue with my truck cranking for the a while. I have checked the starter and fuel pump. I finally figured it was the ECU / ECM so I replaced those and it is still happening. It always takes a couple times for it to crank, and some times will not even crank. Go out an hour later and on the third crank it fires up. I am going to try and replace all my filters in a couple days and wanted to see if anybody had any other ideas. Once it cranks I never have a problem with it getting gas. It runs great. Could it be a bad connection some were or corrosion on a plug? Any suggestions would be great. I have a TD5 by the way, and I do not have any error messages. I need to get this fixed, because I really can't drive it with it not cranking. Thanks any suggestions.

preheat issue maybe ... you do wait until the pre-heat light goes out?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 30th, 2013, 04:01 PM
scout110801
Justus
None

I hear the fuel pump when I start turning the key. Is there way to check ignition switch or should I just replace and see if that fixes the problem?
Old September 30th, 2013, 04:05 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout110801 View Post
I hear the fuel pump when I start turning the key. Is there way to check ignition switch or should I just replace and see if that fixes the problem?
I wouldn't just throw parts at it, I'd check things like the connections at the starter if that's all that is not engaging in your starting process.
Old September 30th, 2013, 04:07 PM
scout110801
Justus
None

Yes wait until the light goes off and then some. It has been driving me crazy for a while. I kept on blaming the ECU you, but have a brand new tunned one and it still does it.
Old September 30th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Have we met? It sure sounds to me like when it sits, air is getting into the lines allowing all the fuel to slip back into the tank. This would cause the fuel pump to have to push the fuel all the way back to the injectors for each crank. and once the line is bled by the fuel pump, the air is gone and there's no trouble. I'm not familiar with the TD5 fuel system but I would suspect that there is a line crack that might have a very small leak, that sucks air in when it sits over time, and/or something that functions like a check valve in your system is failing and not holding the fuel up.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old September 30th, 2013, 04:25 PM
scout110801
Justus
None

Have not meet. You meet my wife at Harris Teeter several months ago. I am trying to get this damn problem fixed so I can drive it more often. I have not thought about this problem. I will see if it is either of these issues.
Old September 30th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Justus,

Try the new fuel filter I sent you. It will take you 10 minutes to replace it.

Once you put it in follow the air purge protocol (turn the ignition to run and tap the accelerator about five times).

Go through the purge three or four times. The engine management light will blink and the fuel pump will whine as the system goes through the purge.

Once the purge is completed, put your foot on the accelerator and try starting your truck.

There is also a gauze filter on the pump which may be filled with gunk. If you are going to clean that you may as well replace the pump.

I don't think it is your starter or ignition switch from what you have told me.

------ Follow up post added September 30th, 2013 04:33 PM ------

Also, if I remember correctly, the common place for an air leak is right by the fuel filter. You can actually replace the entire fuel filter housing if you find that you do have an air leak over there.
Old September 30th, 2013, 04:41 PM
scout110801
Justus
None

Ben I have been lazy and really busy. My goal is to get this fixed this week. Will try this and let you know. By the way when it does crank she will move with the new ECU!!

Thanks
Old September 30th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

haha keep me posted!
Old September 30th, 2013, 09:27 PM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

i've had this problem a couple of times in the shop with td5s ..o-rings on the fuel pressure regulator cause the pressure to bypass or faulty fuel pressure regulator is also a fault for long crank time ,
make sure you have a top notch high cranking battery ..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER...item2a22b842cc

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects