Tree Slap Protectors - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old March 13th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Tree Slap Protectors

I suppose this has been done to death, but I wanted something a bit different. I have one study area near here that the trails have not been used for decades and are really overgrown. So I decided to make a set of tree (shrub) slap protectors from some of my climbing gear. I have some 5mm accessory cord I use on climbing nuts, good for almost 1,200 lbs. I used some copper swedges and stainless thimbles to make up the line, then used some stainless aircraft tangs along with some Adel WDG padded clamps to fit the tubes. I got a turnbuckle from the hardware store (may get a cool stainless one from West Marine, next trip to the coast).

Anyhow, ends up being a bit more colorful and neat looking than using wire rope and u clams. I hate hate wire rope.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2014, 11:02 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Resourceful, I like it. I think most around here call them "limb risers," not that it makes any difference.
Old March 13th, 2014, 11:15 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

You might want to checkout Carl's thread...http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ght=limb+riser.

It's form and function. I replicated his riser's and couldn't be happier with the outcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2014, 11:20 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Man... I wish we still sold the camel trophy style.

It's not nearly that important with Defenders, but with Discos the CT style is necessary.

Nice idea, I have seen it done once before. Hopefully you have enough tension, because compared to my SS cable ones the guy I was with did not nearly have the branch-deflecting abilities I did.
Old March 14th, 2014, 12:06 AM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Oh, it has loads of tension. I had to back off as it was deflecting the brush guard. I don't suppose it will deflect an arm sized limb, which will just cause the brush guard to bend and strike the front of the wing causing really expensive damage (USAA replaces windshields for free, no deductible). I really try to avoid them that size. I could just put some cable cutters we have lying around that we pulled off some OH-58's.

Nice thing about using accessory cord, comes off in a second and coils up and I can toss it in the seat bin. Total coast was around $15 a side.
Old March 14th, 2014, 12:41 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

I guess I have the wrong USAA policy. They pay all day to fix chips, but only deductible for replacement on my policies....Ive not seen an option for no cost windshield replacement.
Old March 14th, 2014, 12:49 AM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Varies from state to state. In Florida it was required and no cost, no deductible. Here in Arizona, it is $10 extra a year with no deductible. If you live around snow plows, like up here in the mountains it really pays off. They have done the Range Rovers' heated one twice (they are an irrational cost to boot). BTW, do not let Safelite Auto Glass ever do a Range Rover windshield. First off they screw it up and it will no longer heat and then they have no responsibility if they do screw it up, it is in their contract. Kind of tough shit buddy. USAA stood behind it and sent the car down to the Land Rover dealer, who put yet another one in. I guess that actually counts as three on that car. So far in 12 years up here they have done six total on all the cars, never cost me a dime.
Old March 14th, 2014, 07:03 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
I guess I have the wrong USAA policy. They pay all day to fix chips, but only deductible for replacement on my policies....Ive not seen an option for no cost windshield replacement.

Makes no sense not to have the right policy! Fix it!
You need full glass coverage endorsed on to your policy.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
protector