Trailer rebuild recommendations - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old July 15th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Trailer rebuild recommendations

Not exactly Defender related but hoping for some suggestions either way. I scored a bargain on a 22' boat trailer for my Zodiac. It's in good shape but has a little bit of cosmetic surface rust. I plan to rebuild the axle/hubs and install new tires amongst other things. I'd also like to remove the rust and repaint it. What's the best way to go about this? Sand it down and brush paint with marine paint? Spray can? Take it somewhere? Ideally the paint would hold up to submerging it into salt water. Thoughts appreciated.
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2013, 01:25 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Strip it down and have it galvanized
Old July 15th, 2013, 01:56 PM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

^ What Dan said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2013, 02:00 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Third what Dan said. The hot dip galvanizing process simplifies the refinishing process greatly, is cheaper than other refinishing techniques in the long run, and the result will last...well...a very long time.
Old July 15th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Ok. I'm going to do some research on galvanizers in my area. What's a reasonable cost for galvanizing a trailer? I want the trailer to be black so quickly it all gets more complicated and expensive if I am to paint it after galvanizing it.
Old July 15th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I also need to get a trailer wiring kit and install it in the Defender. No brakes, just lights. Any suggestions for what the best option and how to go about it?
Old July 15th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Galvy wins. Unless you don't plan to keep it more than a few years.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 15th, 2013, 02:25 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
I also need to get a trailer wiring kit and install it in the Defender. No breaks, just lights. Any suggestions for what the best option and how to go about it?
The factory land rover trailer wiring kit is the best as it is plug and play, but be aware the new ones come with shorter pigtails on the euro 7 to 4 flat connector so you need to consider the length of the one on the boat to be sure it will work or order the longer adaptor.

Any walmart converter style kit would work too, but I hate scotch locks.
Old July 15th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks.

Is that kit specific to the Defender? There seems to be quite a few our there. Does anyone have a part number? I'm replacing the wiring in the trailer with new LED lights and harness. What kind of plug do I need on the trailer side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post

The factory land rover trailer wiring kit is the best as it is plug and play, but be aware the new ones come with shorter pigtails on the euro 7 to 4 flat connector so you need to consider the length of the one on the boat to be sure it will work or order the longer adaptor.

Any walmart converter style kit would work too, but I hate scotch locks.
Old July 15th, 2013, 03:07 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It is specific to NAS defenders. They used to have a different one, but now they sell the one for the disco I as defender. For just lights you need four flat plug (which is what the kit has). If you search you can see my saga with it.
Old July 15th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I paid $250 for the trailer so I'm a bit on the fence about dumping another grand or two into it. Normally I always go the "do it once - last forever" route but I'm a bit tempted to just brush it with marine paint at this point.

I'm also breaking my own "function trumps aesthetics" rule here but my Military Zodiac is all matte black (even D-rings) so I'd really like the trailer to match it, complete with black steel wheels. Silly, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Since its a boat trailer, id leave it galvanized.
It can be powder coated afterwards, but the added expense is purely cosmetic, and IMO not worth it.

Lights: get a cannon plug from a RRC and make your own pigtail with a generic converter box.

-Jeff
Old July 15th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Will do. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
It is specific to NAS defenders. They used to have a different one, but now they sell the one for the disco I as defender. For just lights you need four flat plug (which is what the kit has). If you search you can see my saga with it.
Old July 15th, 2013, 03:25 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
If you are dipping the trailer in fresh water you can get away with painting it. If you are going into anything brackish or salty then you must galvanize, no question. Generally the prices are $250 for the first 500 lbs and 250 for each 500 over that. Doubt that you have more than 500 lbs of steel in a 22 foot trailer. Only trick is transporting a dismantled trailer to the galvy place.
I can find about a gazillion 22 foot trailers around here for cheap, so for me it wouldn't be worth the hassle. I would probably just slop on a bunch of rustoleum and go with it. When the trailer rusts i'd touch it up with more paint, or find another trailer.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old July 15th, 2013, 04:09 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
As a point of reference I paid a $1/lb for stripping and galvy, but like Bill says there are usually minimums. Well worth it for your application.
Old July 15th, 2013, 04:16 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Is it to much trouble to ask for a picture of the boat if you have one? I'm intrigued.
Old July 15th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

There's a photo here when I first got it. I will post more once I finish restoration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Is it to much trouble to ask for a picture of the boat if you have one? I'm intrigued.
Old July 15th, 2013, 05:21 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
There's a photo here when I first got it. I will post more once I finish restoration.
That is so freaking cool. I'm a mil gear whore and love stuff like that. My wife is the only reason I don't own something like that and a bobbed duce and a half to haul it in.
Old July 15th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks!

In all honesty I am a bit of a closeted mil-gear whore myself. I have already picked up a load tamer net for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post

That is so freaking cool. I'm a mil gear whore and love stuff like that. My wife is the only reason I don't own something like that and a bobbed duce and a half to haul it in.
Old July 15th, 2013, 05:32 PM
javelinadave
-
-

A PVS-14, an M -4gery with an IR laser and you are open for business.
Old July 16th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Will this the STC8874 towing electrics kit fit my application? It's an S-type kit whatever that means.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
rebuild