tdi fuel pickup - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old September 3rd, 2015, 05:38 PM
roverx
Scott Preston
1969 Ser IIA Tdi Hybrid

tdi fuel pickup

For everyone that does this stuff on the cheap. This is an easy way to convert a NAS fuel pump to an ROW diesel pickup.

New part $280.
rebuild $12.00

The last one I did is still going after 9 years and 125K miles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NAS to ROW fuel pickup.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	128754  
2003 VW Jetta wagon 1.9 Tdi 5 speed
1995 Range Rover Classic 300 Tdi SoftDash (My Son's)

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 3rd, 2015, 05:45 PM
javelinadave
-
-

So what did you actually do to convert it?
Old September 3rd, 2015, 06:13 PM
roverx
Scott Preston
1969 Ser IIA Tdi Hybrid

You take an old NAS pump and remove the actual pump. ( they are always throwing these away as the metal tips rust.) Take a metal saw and cut away the plastic housing around the pickup and return hoses on the top of the pump. Remove the plastic return fuel line on the underside of the pump. Then take a micro torch and gently heat the bottom of the metal pickup hoses. While you are heating them gently rotate and remove from the plastic housing. Be careful not to overheat and melt. ( very bad!) Then drill out holes to 5/16" dim. Get 5/16" metal fuel/break line. Bend to a 90 degree angle and cut off the flared end and remove burs. Cut the short return line piece first and test fit gently. Once you are set. refit the plastic return line. I like to add a clamp to the underside. Then cut the pickup line. You need to measure the pump fully compressed as this is how it will sit in the tank. Bend a 90 degree angle at one end to match the return line. The hose drops 10 1/4 " into the pump housing. The bottom end of the metal fuel pickup point needs to be cut at a 45 degree so it is just about 1/4" above the bottom of the fuel housing fully compressed. I soldered in a small screen to keep junk out of the fuel lines but a bit of over kill honestly. Gently test fit! Once it's fit and ready to go use a two part epoxy that is oil and fuel resistance. All set! You just saved yourself $268.

I have done this several times and it's a easy way to save a few bucks on a build.
2003 VW Jetta wagon 1.9 Tdi 5 speed
1995 Range Rover Classic 300 Tdi SoftDash (My Son's)

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
fuel, tdi