TDI 110 Install With AC, High Output Alternator & Mercedes PS Pump - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old January 5th, 2013, 04:05 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

TDI 110 Install With AC, High Output Alternator & Mercedes PS Pump

Have replaced a lot of low output alternators and power steering pumps on TDI engines so decided to eliminate both these issues during a TDI install, so hung a 169 AMP alternator off the AC compressor and installed a Mercedes Power Steering pump. Attached Results...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010011.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	63886  

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2013, 06:47 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Thanks to Andy Bard, Radiator Frame is ready to go in

Thanks to Andy Bard the radiator frame is ready to go in.

We modified the stock Disco 300TDI radiator frame to have bolt on brackets for the modified stock AC condenser mounts. In that way we don't have to fiddle around with mounting those silly condenser mounts just behind the grill where you can't get to the bolts easily. With the condenser on the front of the radiator, it gives you a one piece install and the condenser brackets can be unbolted and stay if the radiator frame has to be removed.

Install is one piece and a real time saver because it is so easy to get in and out and you can get to the bolts when it needs to be separated.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old January 8th, 2013, 11:54 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Pictures of Radiator & Intercooler Frame

Another long night in the shop...
The radiator frame with AC condenser worked out really well and cleared the hood, so it closes properly and eliminated the need to fumble with the Land Rover mounts that you can't get to unless the headlights and or inside fender panel are removed.
Now to get all the intercooler and radiator hoses hooked up and install the electric fan that mounts on the inside of the radiator, then fabricate the exhaust system.
Hope to drive it this weekend... we'll see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010015.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	64187   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010019.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	64188  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2013, 02:25 AM
Yudda
Rob
1997/300tdi/110

Looks like really nice work.

I see those Mercedes 300 all the time. They are very popular with the Bedouins here.
DefenderS are one of the most stolen vehicles here in Israel. Most that are found are
often with the Bedouins. I guess for the same reasons we like them....

As we both know....

Relatively simple mechanics
No or little electronic systems
Can burn almost every grade fuel.

Again...good job and thanks for the look.
Old January 9th, 2013, 08:04 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Mercedes OM617 in a 110 and Alternate Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yudda View Post
Looks like really nice work. I see those Mercedes 300 all the time. They are very popular with the Bedouins... Can burn almost every grade fuel...
Rob:
This 1983 110 came from Switzerland and is totally rust free, probably because it was used by the Fire Brigade and sat in a Fire House most of the time.

It came with a 2.25 petrol and is getting the 200TDI only to "use up" the rest of the Land Rover TDIs we have in the shop. After they are gone, we'll only offer the OM617 Mercedes 5 cylinder 3.0 liter turbo diesels for the 90 & 110 Defenders. The Mercedes OM617 + Defender is a great combination. My daily driver is a 110 with OM617. When I get some time want to play with the IP and fuel to get around 160HP. People are getting a lot more out of the OM617 so the engine has loads of potential and is in USA by the thousands upon thousands. Many are just sitting in junk yards and can be owned for about $300 USD and up..

Yes, have a Mercedes sedan with OM617 and recently tried it on lots of alternate fuels which for me is a fancy name for waste products: WVO, used hydraulic oil, used gear oil, used ATF, used Power Steering Fluid, and used crankcase oil (all were cleaned in a centrifuge). Ran fine on all and just didn't seem to care although the exhaust smell varied from cooking on a grill, frying french fries, to stinging your eyes with a camp fire type aroma.

Old August 24th, 2015, 08:28 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Robert, was this a disco tdi? If so, did the fan get a shroud on final assembly? I'm reviewing options for fan/shrouds that work nicely and throw off a more stock appearance with a disco 200 in an early 110.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 24th, 2015, 09:15 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

When I do an install I only use an electric fan wired through a relay triggered by a thermo sensor switch.
I NEVER use a mechanical fan.
Have replaced too many clutches and the connection is a pain in the ass to get loose with the reverse threads and other BS.
It was a Disco 200TDI engine fitted with a Mercedes PS pump.
I also replace way too many OEM PS pumps, but never a Mercedes unit.
They have a built in reservoir so there is no need to make a mounting bracket for a remote reservoir and run hoses to it that often start leaking.

Old August 24th, 2015, 09:52 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I have been thinking of doing electric cooling fan with my 300 install. Good idea? No? Any thoughts on what I should know if I'm going to do this? (The fan and clutch are one of the main components I still don't have, so this is a good time to make the decision!)

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old August 24th, 2015, 10:41 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
When I do an install I only use an electric fan wired through a relay triggered by a thermo sensor switch.
I NEVER use a mechanical fan.
Have replaced too many clutches and the connection is a pain in the ass to get loose with the reverse threads and other BS.
It was a Disco 200TDI engine fitted with a Mercedes PS pump.
I also replace way too many OEM PS pumps, but never a Mercedes unit.
They have a built in reservoir so there is no need to make a mounting bracket for a remote reservoir and run hoses to it that often start leaking.
Thanks Robert for the quick response. Question in my mind is how you get cool air to the intercooler with that set up. Did you end up utilizing a shroud of some sort?
Old August 24th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Thanks Robert for the quick response. Question in my mind is how you get cool air to the intercooler with that set up. Did you end up utilizing a shroud of some sort?
fan and fan shroud only help with inter cooler @ very low/ stationary speeds, situations where you dont need an intercooler.

Somewhere (cant find the link) read an article where a fellow tested defender inter cooler temps and he found he got best performance by not covering the back of the inter cooler with a fan shroud.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old August 24th, 2015, 11:02 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
That Merc PS pump is nice. That was one of the easier things to get to work with the Rover PS box. And on a LHD the lines are nice and short.

Going electric fan as well. Have a Taurus fan sitting on the shelf. This will enable more room for future IC line to be installed as well.
Old August 24th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Somewhere (cant find the link) read an article where a fellow tested defender inter cooler temps and he found he got best performance by not covering the back of the inter cooler with a fan shroud.
The stock 200TDI shroud restricts intercooler air flow quite a bit.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 24th, 2015, 11:36 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Robert, would you care to post the specs on the fan, thermostat used, and such?

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old September 8th, 2015, 09:18 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
No shroud.
Just forced air flow with speed.
That's when you really need the cooling.
At idle you're not making enough boost to warrant a lot of air flow.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
110, ac, alternator, tdi