Storage Box For 97 NAS Console - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 26th, 2014, 01:54 PM
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST
Storage Box For 97 NAS Console

Since I got the new to me Defender 90, one of the first things I had to do was put a new über stereo in it. Why I'm so obsessed with stereos is a mystery, since being around giant noisy machinery all my life has reduced my hearing to "feel" alone. Well most new units, coupled with all the hand held wizardry make a CD changer redundant for many of us. So I removed it. (BTW, I have an excellent Clarion 6 CD OE changer is anybody wants one for super cheap). This left a big, gaping hole in my console when you opened the top.

Now one thing Defenders and Series vehicles lacked was some place to put the necessary vital books & papers, gun, fuses bits of yarn, was a glovebox of some sort. So I went on a hunt for a plastic box I could re-purpose to fit in the hole. I found a file box at Office Max for $8. It was the right dimensions, a bit too deep. So I carefully sliced off the top on a table saw, one side at a time (carbide blade just barely cutting through the material). This left the problem of how to get it in there. Since the mounting bolts are on the bottom for the console, you can't put the box in there and screw it back down.

The solution I came up with was, remove the rivets on the top, fill the holes with 6x32 rivnuts. And use stainless flat 6x32 aviation panel screws. This allows the box to be screwed to the wood mounting plate affixed to the rear steel bulkhead, while it is still bolted to the seatbox of the Defender. I had to make four large holes in one side of the plastic box to allow a screwdriver to pass through and screw down the PK screws through the box and into the wood. Then the console is tiled back over the box & bulkhead and the hinge is screwed down through the console with the 6x32 screws.

You end up with a box that hold the Defender manual and a bunch of papers, goodies and a slim pistol with a silencer, if needed. Cost of $8 for the box and $5 for a pack of swedge rivets. The box needs to be a bit shorter on the forward edge than the rear, so some trim and fit is required for install. Takes about two hours to make.

Old January 26th, 2014, 04:16 PM
NAS 97 D90 SW
"slim pistol with silencer".

that said, good work , 007.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

97, console, nas