Soft top to hard to should I - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old January 7th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Arran73
Arran Thomson
1987 90 soft top

Registry
Soft top to hard to should I

I would like to put a hard top on my 90 for the winters and can get my hands on an original hard top and rear door but coming from the wrangler scene were it's easy to go between the two I'm not sure the same can be said for the land rover. Any thought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2013, 04:13 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Will you be transporting passengers in the back? If not, consider sourcing a half cab top. Easier/quicker to put on and cheaper (won't have to source full rear door. Probably much warmer too.

Whatever hard top you do get, I am sure installing and removing components gets quicker every time you do it.

I'm in the process of restoring/repainting one to use but it's still in progress.
Old January 7th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Arran73
Arran Thomson
1987 90 soft top

Registry
Yeah thought of that, would be the easiest solution, any idea is a series half top would fit a 90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2013, 04:40 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran73 View Post
Yeah thought of that, would be the easiest solution, any idea is a series half top would fit a 90
Can't give you a sure answer on that. I've heard some are compatible (probably depending on year)

I also thought you may consider an even simpler solution. Get a fume curtain. It will isolate the front compartment from the rest of the soft top making it much warmer up front.
Old January 7th, 2013, 05:06 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran73 View Post
That won't work mainly due to the different height of the windshields.
Old January 7th, 2013, 05:07 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

A 90/110 pick up cab is a one man job to swap and is easier than a wrangler top to do. Any defender/90/110 top or any series pick up can top with a defender top panel will work just fine. A metal 90 or Defender 90 hardtop is not much worse of a swap, but it is heavier and you either need to swap your tailgate out for a full rear door or you need to find a liftgate off a series truck.

On a ROW truck (without a cage) the swap is easy between a softtop to a hardtop and back again. On a NAS truck, it will require some serious work getting all the bolts off the cage and getting that off and dealing with the bits of the cage that stick above the cappings etc..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
soft top, top