Sirius XM antenna placement - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old February 18th, 2016, 11:03 PM
havens51
joseph
'97 NAS D90 ST, '88 D110, '16 LR 4

Registry
Sirius XM antenna placement

Part of my 110 restoration by Arkonik included an Alpine head unit with Sirius XM. The Sirius antenna placement on the dash supplied only spotty reception because of interference form the metal roof.
The antenna is designed to be on the outside of the cabin and be unobstructed to the sky.

I had a local outfit move the antenna to the forward roof position just over the passenger side windshield. This was worse because the metal roof was a nearly total obstruction.

Another local outfit suggested feeding the antenna wire through the bulkhead and up through the left wing KBX air vent and be placed on the left wing checker plate just behind the vent.

The solution was Andy Taylor and I fed the antenna wire through the bulkhead and over to the left wing KBX air intake. I dremmelled the vertical struts of the second smallest louvre of the KBX to accept the antenna. The metal mesh was then reattached from underneath to hold (sandwich) the antenna firmly in place. This placement cannot be detected unless bright light is shined at a direct angle from the front.

It now works perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3870.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	142731   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3871.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	142732  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3872.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	142733  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2016, 12:06 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Nice hiding spot. If it works there, great! I have mine magnetically attached to the top of my snorkel mushroom. Wire routing is far easier in my ST, however.
Old February 19th, 2016, 10:01 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
If you had a roof rack, I'd have the solution.
I cut a 4x4 inch steel plate.
Attached it to a swaybar bushing and mount and located it to the highest part of the roof rack.
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2016, 10:24 AM
havens51
joseph
'97 NAS D90 ST, '88 D110, '16 LR 4

Registry
Thanks. Actually it receives perfectly in the top of wing position. While metal interfers with reception, plastic has no effect.
Old February 19th, 2016, 12:02 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
heater grids on glass i/e rear defrost and heated windshield as well as wiper arms wreak havoc on reception too...i have bee thru those scenarios on my classic, my old jag and the honda...bassically on the jag glued the magnet to the third stop light. the honda and the rover I placed them on the dash, all for a clean inside install.
major loss of signal reception. great idea on your behalf congrats.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
ac