Defender Source Forum banner

ROW D90 LED Light Replacement

Tags
90 ac d90 ht
21K views 86 replies 29 participants last post by  emah 
#1 ·
Just in case anyone else wants to swap out all of the external lights on their Non-NAS 90 with LEDs, I thought I would share the part numbers I used,

These are all from www.superbrightleds.com.

Turn signals (all 4): 1150-A45-T
Front Markers (2): 1156-CW45-T
Tail / Brake Lights (2): 1157-R45-T
Backup Lamp: 1156-CW45-T
Rear Fog Lamp: 1156-R45-T
Side "repeater" lights (I think this was not factory, mine look like they came from a RRC): WLED-A6
License Plate: BA9s-WHP9

I also needed a LED compatible flasher. I used CF13GL-02.

Everything was plug and play, no wiring mods or other messes.

#4 ·
Can you post a picture of the lights (at night or dusk). Looks like a nice upgrade.
Sure, I can do that tonight. They work well. In fact, the front marker lights are kind of too bright.

#7 ·
Doh! Completely forgot about this. I will go do it right now.

------ Follow up post added May 22nd, 2011 08:31 PM ------

OK, here we go... I did the best I could with the pictures. It's very late twilight when I took these.

Here is the front, with headlights on to compare. The front LEDs are ridiculously bright.
http://www.lrcsd.com/neillt/d90-led/DSC_0240.JPG

Here is the back, with just running lights. I have LEDs in the license plate lamp as well.
http://www.lrcsd.com/neillt/d90-led/DSC_0241.JPG

Here is the back again with the brakes on:
http://www.lrcsd.com/neillt/d90-led/DSC_0242.JPG

Back again with the turn signal lit:
http://www.lrcsd.com/neillt/d90-led/DSC_0243.JPG

With the reverse lamp:
http://www.lrcsd.com/neillt/d90-led/DSC_0245.JPG

If there is any other shots you want let me know.....

#9 ·
I just did the same conversion and I have to say I thought except for the marker lights, the OEM bulbs were "brighter".

I don't know if it was the effect of the lens or what. The LED's definitely had a more "direct" light in addition to side pattern but for some reason the filament bulbs "glowed" more.

Has anyone else done the conversion?

#10 ·
It doesn't sound like you got the 45 LED tower bulbs because they are noticeably brighter.

I have done all exterior lights except headlights, all dash lights (with new VDO gauges) and interior dome lights and I am very happy.

nikojo said:
I just did the same conversion and I have to say I thought except for the marker lights, the OEM bulbs were "brighter".

I don't know if it was the effect of the lens or what. The LED's definitely had a more "direct" light in addition to side pattern but for some reason the filament bulbs "glowed" more.

Has anyone else done the conversion?

#11 ·
The 45 LED is exactly the one I have, same exact part numbers.

I was surprised too!!!

Out of the lens they are crazy bright........but in the lens the regular bulb seems to "glow" more, ie throw the light. The LED seems to throw more directionally.

I can take a picture with one side done in LED and the other regular and you can tell me......but it seems subjective, but it should be I guess.

#13 ·
Did you buy the colors to match each light? Turn signals need to be orange, not white. Break lights should be red LEDs not white. I tried white behind red/orange and it doesn't work. The LED have to match the color of the lens for all exterior lights. Also, what kind of lenses do you have? Stock?

I recently put Amber 45 tower bulbs in my Arb bumper as well. Love it.

I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

#14 ·
Correct........the bulbs are all "color matched". The lens' are the OEM.

The brakes and turning are 110's but the fog/reverse are similar to NAS.

AGREE.........the running marker lights are very bright (almost like headlights)..........but everything else looks like a "wash" or maybe even slightly worse.

I will post up "comparo" shots side by side, ie 1/2 truck done............I'll let everyone else judge.

JJ

#15 ·
Superbrightleds also offers white LEDs that have a warmer white tone with less blue and more yellow. It's still plenty bright but it looks a lot better than the normal riceboy-style white LEDs.

For what it's worth, I could never get LEDs working on my turn signal lamps with either the stock relay or an aftermarket relay. Perhaps adding the resistors inline would fix the problems but I never tried them.

#16 ·
Read this thread and ended up buying the flasher unit that navydevildoc suggested. Ordered it from superbrights and it arrived in 2 days! Just took 5 minutes to swap it.....and it works fantastic.

Kudos to navydevildoc. Now I'm a little less worried about getting pulled over.

I have an 86 ROW with LED replacement bulbs.

#20 ·
Can you tell me where you got the RDX LED's?

#21 ·
lrnasd90 said:
Can you tell me where you got the RDX LED's?
Didn't mean to high jack, a euro dealer that has a business on EBay. Just google RDX LED's and BucketObolts is the seller. Took about two weeks and was a direct bolt in for the factory euro lights. He ships to the US.

#23 ·
#25 ·
Hey Doc,

Im trying to order the LEDs from SuperBright, but these aren't showing up.

Turn signals (all 4): 1150-A45-T

could you double check the item number ?

Even a Google search of your item number...only references this thread.

thank you sir.
rob

#27 ·
The first four digits should be the base-style of the bulb.

I don't think an 1150 exists. For a turn signal, it should be 1156. But I'm guessing. :(
1156 is the standard turn signal number for NAS or ROW (I use this on both, and just had to replace after I bashed mine good at Rausch). So Ed is correct on that number at least...just not sure on the LED x-ref.

#33 ·
Hey guys, just catching up to this... yeah it must have been a typo. I'll go ahead and fix the first post.

------ Follow up post added December 31st, 2012 08:16 AM ------

Hey guys, just catching up to this... yeah it must have been a typo. I'll go ahead and fix the first post.
Ugh.... well maybe I won't. It doesn't give me the option. But yeah, it should have been a 6.

------ Follow up post added December 31st, 2012 08:17 AM ------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ1ivy90gZU

Has anyone used these? They look incredible
Josh (Crash303) has them on his NAS 90. It's hella sweet. If I wasn't spending money hand over fist on whatever the latest engine problem is on my Tdi I would have them installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.