ROW D90 LED Light Replacement - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old January 20th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Nice Geoff. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2013, 07:37 PM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
You can fix it, but you have to wire in diodes between the indicator and the harness.
Been coming back to this on how best to cure the issue. I looked high and low for a T5 base LED bulb that was non polarized (there are a few out there, just haven't found a shape that works).

I kept coming across online the simple wiring in of a full spectrum bridge rectifier as a quick solution to this issue. However as I look at the circuit diagram, tapping into the hot wire behind the warning lights panel is straight forward, however all the grounds in this circuit are all over the place and I wouldn't be connecting to the common ground utilized by the relay or flashers (and perhaps this doesn't matter anyway).

Going back to your comment above, Is a diode install just inline on the power wire for each of the direction and trailor LED indicators? (which would be fairly easy to take care of)? If so, what spec in terms of voltage/amp range would you suggest?

thanks (ps. obviously limited knowlege here... but enjoying reading up on it)
Old January 26th, 2013, 04:01 PM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

I did drop an order in for a T5 miniature wedge base non-polarized LED bulb in green, but it will take a couple months to arrive from the factory. I only need a couple and ended up buying 25 so if it works, I'll post down the road and happy to send a couple (turn signal and trailer lights) to those interested.

Here's the light: Dialight LED.pdf
and the only place I could find low volumes (I've bought some high end components for audio builds from them before so can at least vouch for the place, but we'll see if they can fulfill < 100 units...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2013, 07:10 PM
pabrit
Steve Hoare
1949 80"

Any comments on how the Truck-Lite LED headlights compare with the original headlights?

Cheers
Steve H
Old January 27th, 2013, 12:59 PM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabrit View Post
Any comments on how the Truck-Lite LED headlights compare with the original headlights?

Cheers
Steve H
Hi Steve - I definitely like the color better, much closer to natural light, the biggest difference is that the light pattern is more focused. I don't have much night driving time logged yet with the new headlights so will reserve judgment, but vs stock they're far superior. They're a little better than the upgraded halogens I had on previously (above DOT bulb ratings), but the light pattern is different which is a personal preference (a little more light in the focused areas and less light in surrounding areas). I'm so used to flipping onto high beams with the 6" Rigid bars with no oncoming traffic, which is pretty frequent at night where I am, that anything in the range of low beam lights seems pretty dim and takes a bit to have my eyes adjust to.
Old January 27th, 2013, 02:45 PM
pabrit
Steve Hoare
1949 80"

Hello Geoff
Many thanks for the feedback. Time to jump in and "see the light".

Cheers
Steve
Old February 3rd, 2013, 10:40 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Well, the Axia mounts don't look like they're going to work. Very strange. It seems that the 110 full cage is wider than the 90 cage perhaps? See photo. You said the mount could be angled but I don't see how I could ever make these fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlight View Post
I have an RDX relay, one from SuperbrightLEDs, and will see which one works best when I go to install the front and rear external LED parking/signal/brake/reverse lights. Also have 4 resistors ready to go as needed (although I get the sense only 1 pair will be needed).

So I found a great mount for the bar, I bought the 50" as well. Perfect fit. Tracked down a mount from a company called Axia Alloys, which makes a custom mount for the Rigid LED bars. What was VERY fortunate is the D110 roll bars start to curve in where I had to mount, and the unique modular components of the mount allowed it to rotate on top to accommodate. Although I only used enamel paint, I painted the base of the mount white with a few coats (powder coating would have been preferred but didn't have easy access to this and didn't want to dedicate a little oven for this). Here's a photo of the mount, took minutes to install (painting is what took the time; and with enamel it's not great anyway because it flaked a little around the contact points anyway).

Attachment 64765

Here's the link to the mount:
http://axiaalloys.com/Billet%20LED%2...ter_name=rigid
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5136.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	65701  
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:07 AM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Well, the Axia mounts don't look like they're going to work. Very strange. It seems that the 110 full cage is wider than the 90 cage perhaps? See photo. You said the mount could be angled but I don't see how I could ever make these fit.
Yes that is definitely a narrower bar than the 110 (see earlier pic on prior thread page). The angle I was able to achieve was the rotation angle of the top unit on the mount vs the bottom piece (which is probably at 100-105 degrees vs 90 degrees accommodating the horizontal bend in the 110's bar; a different story in terms of the vertical bend in what is seen in the 90's bar). Given the width of the light bar it unfortunately does look like you're going to need to do a custom mount. You might though be able to use the bottom portion of the mounts to attach to the bar, and then fashion a 90 degree L-shaped piece that connects it to the side of the light bar. I'm not at my truck's location but there were small side brackets that came with the light bar that might not be to far off. Perhaps the combination of the two with some modding?
Old February 8th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I may go a different route entirely.
Old February 12th, 2013, 08:38 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Geoff, thanks for the review on the 2nd Gen Trucklites. I may have missed it...but a couple of questions. 1. Did you upgrade your harness at all or add something like the IPF/Painless harness? 2. Do you have any flickering issues? 3. Do you have a delay when switching beams?

I'm probably going to go this way and you are the first Rover guy to have a review on these. The $eep guys have some great reviews online regarding these lights.
Old February 12th, 2013, 10:15 PM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

Hi Sam - I do have an upgraded harness which I had put in earlier to support higher wattage halogen bulbs prior to making the switch (the harness and the new H4's made a BIG difference vs stock and to me seem like a no brainer given how anemic the stock setup is). Given what I assume is lower power requirements for the LED headlights I'd assume the stock harness would be more than acceptable, but this would need to be confirmed. I've had no flickering whatsoever, and no delay (or perceived "warm-up") between low and high beams.

I'll be back at our house this weekend and will get more time with them and report back any updates. I had put on the 4 front amber indicator/parking lights from RDX/boltonbits in the UK and the 4 rear square LED lights from Australia last weekend. I just have to fit the rear LEDs into the stock rubber housing to complete the install. Then everything will be all LED in/outside. Last minor wait will be the non-polarized bulb for the turn signal dash indicator light so that it flashes on both sides. Rambling here... but a fun project. Picked up a pair of Rigid D2 Dually's for rear work lights which will be another little add-on project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Geoff, thanks for the review on the 2nd Gen Trucklites. I may have missed it...but a couple of questions. 1. Did you upgrade your harness at all or add something like the IPF/Painless harness? 2. Do you have any flickering issues? 3. Do you have a delay when switching beams?

I'm probably going to go this way and you are the first Rover guy to have a review on these. The $eep guys have some great reviews online regarding these lights.
Old February 13th, 2013, 04:42 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Great, thanks! TLs it is then.
Old March 15th, 2013, 11:03 PM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

Ahhh.... the little things in life... received the green dash LEDs from onlinecomponents.com and they are indeed non-polarized (having a built in circuit). So now have a working dash indicator for the left/right flashers that works in both directions. They were pricey relative to the other LEDs for the indicators at $6/each but a small price to pay for avoiding a workaround. If anyone wants one, I purchased a dozen extra as there was a long lead time and figured others might be interested if they worked. Just PM me.
Old March 18th, 2013, 09:07 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Yup, I would certainly appreciate 2 if you can spare them? PM me a shipped (85138) price and a paypal if you dont mind?

Thx

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlight View Post
Ahhh.... the little things in life... received the green dash LEDs from onlinecomponents.com and they are indeed non-polarized (having a built in circuit). So now have a working dash indicator for the left/right flashers that works in both directions. They were pricey relative to the other LEDs for the indicators at $6/each but a small price to pay for avoiding a workaround. If anyone wants one, I purchased a dozen extra as there was a long lead time and figured others might be interested if they worked. Just PM me.
Old April 7th, 2013, 03:01 PM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

(Recognize this is off point from the original thread...) Finished an install this weekend of some additional Rigid LED's on the rear for work lights. Really, really bright, got the diffuse pattern and there are no hotspots, lights up a nice wide work area. Great lights - Dually D2 if I recall. Since I couldn't bring myself to drill a hole / holes into the body of the vehicle, ran the wiring along the underneath of the roof rack/cage and down the front covered with cable sheath and then snaked through some white heat shrink cover for extra protection and color matching. Happy w the results and will get a lot of use out of these!

Old April 9th, 2013, 11:56 PM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Geoff, did you get the square rear tail lights at SuperBrite LED's? I have a 1994 D90, and am looking to do the same upgrade.
Old April 10th, 2013, 12:08 AM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverenvy View Post
Geoff, did you get the square rear tail lights at SuperBrite LED's? I have a 1994 D90, and am looking to do the same upgrade.
These are the LED lamps I found that worked with some help from another member here who also successfully did the same upgrade (Backstay).

http://ledautolamps.com/Publications...tml#/36/zoomed

requires the 100 series in terms of size. you (1) pop them out of the black plastic framing they come with, and then (2) trim the inside corners of the rubber holders of the OEM units in order to get them to fit. Wiring is very easy, just use marine grade heatshrink connectors.

Only place to get them is australia so requires a little patience.
Red and Amber lights are au$45.90 and white reverse are au$69.90 (plus shipping).

Seller can be found on Ebay, user "rm-autoleds" . they've only got the 80 series listed on items http://stores.ebay.com/rm-autoleds , but they have the 100 series in stock as well (just send them a request). I had measured them out before ordering to confirm, and they fit just fine, no glue they hold themselves on. If you were doing some serious bumps, one edge may loosen, but a few different solutions for that if you want to make it a more permanent attachement.
Old May 26th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Geoff,

I finally got my LED Bars installed. I have posted some images in a different thread.
Old May 26th, 2013, 10:16 PM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Geoff,

I finally got my LED Bars installed. I have posted some images in a different thread.
Looks great, very clean install. So what are your impressions of the usability of the lower mounted bar vs the bar up top?
Old May 26th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I don't know yet because I haven't gotten around to wire them up. Rigid sent me a 50" bar that had the wrong connector and harness. They sent a replacement harness but I still have to rewire the plug on the bar. The positioning should be good on both. If the 50" bar is too close to the rack I have a different set of longer mounts that I can use. I will let you know once I get them connected. The turn signal LED as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
90, ac, d90, ht