ROW D90 LED Light Replacement - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old November 8th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrnasd90
Can you tell me where you got the RDX LED's?
Didn't mean to high jack, a euro dealer that has a business on EBay. Just google RDX LED's and BucketObolts is the seller. Took about two weeks and was a direct bolt in for the factory euro lights. He ships to the US.
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2012, 12:55 PM
AgRover
Adin
1997 Defender 90 SW Badge #2493

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
Next you need a set of these!
Are you using the top RDX as your turn indicator and the bottom as DRLs/parking lights? Is that a switch from stock positions?
Old November 8th, 2012, 01:19 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

Sorry about the hi-jack also, but just in case anyone else was wondering...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-RDX-LED-...item35bdf85d01
93 NAS D110 #137 Sold
1-94 NAS D90 #702 Sold
2-94 NAS D90s (#1112, #1586)tdi Sold
95 NAS D90 #262 Sold
1-97 NAS D90 #642 Sold
2-97 NAS D90s LE (#82,#222)Sold
110 Crew Cab Td5 Sold
Hybrid Series 3 Sold
3-D1 Sold
1- D2 Sold
4- RRC Sold
83 110 5dr Diesel (current)
97 Disco XD tdi (current)
I can quit at any time I am not an addict!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2012, 02:00 PM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
I bought some 12VDC LEDs on eBay. A bag of 100, and made my own using the old-style lamps, plastic, a blamk PC board and some clear sillicon bathroom sealant and made my own for a few dollars per light.
Old December 6th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Yudda
Rob
1997/300tdi/110

Hey Doc,

Im trying to order the LEDs from SuperBright, but these aren't showing up.

Turn signals (all 4): 1150-A45-T

could you double check the item number ?

Even a Google search of your item number...only references this thread.

thank you sir.
rob
Old December 6th, 2012, 10:56 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
The first four digits should be the base-style of the bulb.

I don't think an 1150 exists. For a turn signal, it should be 1156. But I'm guessing.
Old December 6th, 2012, 10:58 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
The first four digits should be the base-style of the bulb.

I don't think an 1150 exists. For a turn signal, it should be 1156. But I'm guessing.
1156 is the standard turn signal number for NAS or ROW (I use this on both, and just had to replace after I bashed mine good at Rausch). So Ed is correct on that number at least...just not sure on the LED x-ref.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 6th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Yudda
Rob
1997/300tdi/110

Ed & Jason Thank You!

Looks like its just a typo...

1156-x45-T

Middle number amt of LEDs.

T for Tower type
Old December 6th, 2012, 02:18 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
LED Headlight

Has anyone used these? They look incredible
Old December 6th, 2012, 02:33 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
nm, the new truck-lite product can be had here:

http://www.drivetrainamerica.com/p-1...px?cagpspn=pla

for around $230 shipped, beats the pants off of the jw speaker price point
Old December 31st, 2012, 12:21 AM
Joshuataylor
Joshua Taylor
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Just in case anyone else wants to swap out all of the external lights on their Non-NAS 90 with LEDs, I thought I would share the part numbers I used,

Turn signals (all 4): 1150-A45-T
Front Markers (2): 1156-CW45-T
Tail / Brake Lights (2): 1157-R45-T
Backup Lamp: 1156-CW45-T
Rear Fog Lamp: 1156-R45-T
Side "repeater" lights (I think this was not factory, mine look like they came from a RRC): WLED-A6
License Plate: BA9s-WHP9

I also needed a LED compatible flasher. I used CF13GL-02.

Everything was plug and play, no wiring mods or other messes.
Have you tried ebay site for these led lights?
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:11 AM
Joshuataylor
Joshua Taylor
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuataylor View Post
Have you tried ebay site for these led bulb?
There are numerous online shops to purchase these lights.
Old December 31st, 2012, 11:14 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yudda View Post
Ed & Jason Thank You!

Looks like its just a typo...

1156-x45-T

Middle number amt of LEDs.

T for Tower type
Hey guys, just catching up to this... yeah it must have been a typo. I'll go ahead and fix the first post.

------ Follow up post added December 31st, 2012 08:16 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Hey guys, just catching up to this... yeah it must have been a typo. I'll go ahead and fix the first post.
Ugh.... well maybe I won't. It doesn't give me the option. But yeah, it should have been a 6.

------ Follow up post added December 31st, 2012 08:17 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post

Has anyone used these? They look incredible
Josh (Crash303) has them on his NAS 90. It's hella sweet. If I wasn't spending money hand over fist on whatever the latest engine problem is on my Tdi I would have them installed.
Old January 19th, 2013, 12:13 AM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

Hi all! Great info here on the interior and exterior LED lights. I've been ordering up bulbs and lights and have most of them now. Was in behind the dash of my 110 this evening and decided while I had it out to replace the bulbs to the appropriate LED's. The D110 has not been playing nice since making the swaps. I changed them for the 3 switches (front and rear defrost, hazard lights), and for the strip of markers (warning lights, headlamp indicator, hi beam indicator, engine service, trailer, etc.). There are a couple I left b/c I ran out of red, etc, but I do have enough to pop in clear LEDs for now if needed. However since putting them in, the left parking / turn signal lights front and back fail and blow the fuse. the rear defrost sparked blew the fuse. All else equal in the vehicle. Using the appropriate bulbs (they are all 74GHP/74RGP and other color variants such as amber, cool white, etc.). So curious what I'm missing. Didn't read about others having this issue.

Thanks for any insight!
Old January 19th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

A photo of the bulbs may help. Where did you source them? Perhaps even a photo of the dash sockets where you are trying to install them.
Old January 19th, 2013, 09:41 AM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

I'll go take some photos and post. I got them from place folks here sourced them, the Superbrightleds store online.

So I did make one discovery. I spent quite a while searching on the forum and I came across one thread where it was mentioned that a guy melted his wires from installing the LEDs due to the fact the LED bulbs have the wires wrapping around both sides of the base. it is the case with the bulbs I received as well, and where there was a short one of the bulbs' wires burned in this area where it wrapped around. I've tried clipping them back, but now most of the bulbs don't work unless I fiddle with the source of the light (defrost switch, headlamp switch, etc.). Will post some pics in a few

thanks
Old January 19th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

That guy was me.

It sounds like you may have the same problem. If you look inside the sockets that you are plugging into, take a look at the electrical contacts and tell me what you're seeing. Better yet, a photo if you can swing it.
Old January 19th, 2013, 05:34 PM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

@Manimal - looks like we had a similar problem. Definitely it was the lights. I probably also had some good luck and was rolling the dice much better than 50/50 when I installed the interior LEDs the first time. After some diligence, I re-checked the clipped ends on the LED's and trimmed to optimal amount and re-inserted and after some trial and error realized that I had to do a quick test on each light for polarity and would reverse as needed to get them all working (as my luck moved the other way on guessing polarity). so the shorts and burned fuses were all tied to the LED lights not being plug and play and requiring a clip on the ends of the wires (thank you for your feedback on the other thread!). I still dont have a signal indicator for right turn only (although the signals work just fine externally, haven't changed those yet) while left works. Everything else seems to be in good shape. Need to order a few more bulbs as the 110 requirements are slightly different in a few cases (different for a couple gauges, and the dome light is different as well). Got the side markers in, they look great. Waiting for the RDX lights for the front from the UK which should be in next week and hopefully the rear square lights as well from Australia (to keep the NAS 110 look). Will be putting in truck lite LED headlights tonight, and just finished installing a Rigid Industries bar on the top/roof and a couple where the Hella driving lights were on the front bars. Will have to see how it all turns out in terms of "looks". Definitely not for the traditionalist but I like it so far. Improvement in light is ridiculous though. Those Rigid's are very bright.
Old January 19th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Did you change the flasher relay to an LED one? You may also need resistors. My front turn signals required resistors in order to work.

Funny, I am doing the same Rigid LED upgrade myself! I have a Rigid 20" SR LED bar that I mounted on the ARB right in front of the grill. I agree, it looks a bit a non-traditional but performance trumps appearance in my book. I also have a Rigid 50" SR LED bar that I am planning to install on the roll cage above the windshield but I need to fab a new cradle for it. Last addition I'm planning on are a set of JW Speaker LED headlights. After that I should be all set.

I'm curious to see how yours turns out. Post pics when you're done and I'll do the same.
Old January 19th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

What size is the bar you installed on the roof and how did you mount it?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
90, ac, d90, ht