Rover trailer - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

View Poll Results: Which roof design
sloped front, square rear 16 44.44%
sloped both ends 1 2.78%
square both ends 19 52.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 9th, 2009, 10:10 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Talking Rover trailer

I guess there is no going back, so it's time to start a build thread on this sucker.

First, I'm doing this mainly because I want to (not the easiest/cheapest way etc.), so it may not make sense to you

I've decided to drive the trans america trail in the future (sooner than later) and for that I'll want a trailer I could take offroad (like an adventure trailer/chaser, but we'll see how it turns out), maybe add a RTT etc. But I wanted to make it out of a rover tub. Yeah the whole trailer matching truck thing is gay (especially if painted the same color) but hey.. I'm comfortable with my manhood and there is nothing wrong with being gay anyway. LOL.

Doug C provided the inspiration by finding a picture of one someone made with a rover roof as a cap/top, as well as other things like Mike Slade's chuckwagon, but Greg B. got the ball rolling by alerting me to a craigslist posting for a 109" tub since he knew I was looking.

A few short months later I have most of the parts needed sourced (and most in my hands) thanks to the good folks here. I had intended to build my own frame but got a deal on a bent D90 frame so I went that route, including a defender rear suspension. I have started to stretch the rear of the frame 14" and 3/8s to make the 109" tub fit.

Anyway, I'm putting build pictures under here. I might not post too many directly to the forum as it's a hassle to resize etc.

http://lhsw.com/gallery/rover_trailer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04231.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	462.6 KB
ID:	21403   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0371.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	511.1 KB
ID:	21404  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2009, 09:39 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Got the stretch completed today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0395.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	537.0 KB
ID:	21455  
Old September 12th, 2009, 09:45 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Are those the pieces of the RRC frame I gave to you with janey?
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2009, 09:47 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Damn you have a good eye! Yessir. Meant to thank you for em too, but glad you noticed and reminded me. THANKS!
Old September 12th, 2009, 09:57 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Looks like a great project. Gonna get it done before Uwharrie in October?

Why not leave the diff in it... Then you could have a spare, as well as use it with alternator to power a battery, fridge and etc.

Old September 13th, 2009, 01:58 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Damn you have a good eye! Yessir. Meant to thank you for em too, but glad you noticed and reminded me. THANKS!
Ha, only I can remember what two dirty pieces of metal I saw last three years ago look like. No problem, I figured they had some use even if not for a "ron good" rear crossmember repair.
Old September 13th, 2009, 11:51 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah these are the times I love the fact I'm a pack rat. They were an almost perfect fit for this job so out of the scrap pile they came.

Scott, don't know if it'll be done by then, or if I'll go to Uhwarrie. I guess I need to look at a calendar but my gut tells me my wife won't be keen on me going

As for the diff, i had considered it but

1. I have 2 trucks and 3 different diffs already and hope to throw a series in the mix at some point too. Pointless trying to choose which diff to carry.

2. More weight when you don't need the spares all the time

3. Less clearance.

4. This housing was dirt cheap

So I'm going to go with clearancing this diff and see how it goes. The beauty of this setup is I can always put another axle under it if I change my mind.

I had not thought of an alternator, but I think that's pushing it for me. I want this thing to be stupid simple and bullet proof, and then add toys later.

charles
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:52 PM
cabell
Cabell Crowther

Charles,
Looking good. I've got a couple of 88" roofs if you need one.
Old September 14th, 2009, 10:51 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Oh now you tell me! I have already bought 2 of them!

See you at the MAR man.
Old September 19th, 2009, 12:44 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Got the suspension under it today (minus the shocks).

Next up is to find some help to get the tub on it so I can make some mounts/standoffs and then figure out what to do for the tongue.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trailer_frame_wheels.sized.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	21609  
Old September 19th, 2009, 02:50 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Sexy

Test fitting the tub reveals I need to move one of the the support ribs forward an inch or two to clear the crossmember as it's about 1/4" too high at that point when sitting on the cross member. Otherwise it validates the stretch was the right amount!

This is going to have a really high center of gravity, but not much I can do about it I suppose. The suspension is really supple with it unladen like this. Just sitting on the rear lowers it a few inches.

Anyway, here she is
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trailer_test_fit_tub.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	21613  
Old September 19th, 2009, 06:19 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Spectacular...

Old September 19th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Charles,

That looks great! You need a "defendoor" now.

BTW, I have a set of white glossy wheel arches, maybe they are for the rear, I can't remember. They are yours if you want them.
Old September 19th, 2009, 07:38 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
So cool. Gonna be red?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 19th, 2009, 08:50 PM
budz
sal gorriceta
various rovers

Another tailgate?
Old September 19th, 2009, 11:00 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozman
That looks great! You need a "defendoor" now.
Huh, how about that. They think of everything don't they. Sounds like a goods christmas present to myself, but you'll see mine is blanked off already. Might use it to fill water tanks or something too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozman
BTW, I have a set of white glossy wheel arches, maybe they are for the rear, I can't remember. They are yours if you want them.
I'm told the 109 cutout is a different shape than the defenders, but if they will work I'll take you up on it as the wheels do extend out about an inch or two past the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
So cool. Gonna be red?
Nope. Leading colors are your sand color (you'll need to remind me what the proper name is), or white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budz
Another tailgate?
I thought you were sending me another one?

I have to decide whether or not to hinge down, or sideways. This tub has the catches for both (well, i guess the side catch is for a full door so will need replacing), but the rear cross member doesn't have the hinge mounts so I'd need to add them to do hinge down. Locking may be more of a hassle with hinge down too. Kind of leaning towards a side hinge and tire carrier to get some weight off the tongue. This thing is a monster and sits as high as my D90 (which has a 2" spring lift).
Old September 21st, 2009, 05:20 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
put the tire somewhere else. but side hinge is easier to load. drop gates are good for sitting on though.

looks amazing! nice work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Kind of leaning towards a side hinge and tire carrier to get some weight off the tongue. This thing is a monster and sits as high as my D90 (which has a 2" spring lift).
Old September 21st, 2009, 05:30 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
The reason for the tire on the rear was to reduce tongue weight as right now it's a bit heavy I think.

But after pulling the transmission cross-member and finding it totally rusted out underneath the pads, I'm not sure how much of the original frame I can reuse for the tongue. It's also tweaked pretty badly as well of course. But getting a nice transition from 3x7 rails to a custom tongue is going to be tricky too.

Anyway, this will likely lighten the tongue weight though so I'm thinking I need to mock the tongue up better and re-weigh it before making a decision on any other placement. You'd think with so many fixed variables figuring out the tongue length and shape would be easy! I am currently targeting about 100" from the coupler to the trailer axle. This length (a compromise of the D90 and D110 wheelbase) is supposed to help the trailer track the vehicle well, and will allow the tongue to be long enough to allow a 90 degree jacknife without hitting the tub.

Still going to try get this towable by MAR but it's looking like a tough goal at this point.
Old September 21st, 2009, 05:56 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

2cents, I vaguely remember that diy off road show on spike tv that they did a build up of different trailers. Was when they still had that blond welder chick cohosting.
Old September 21st, 2009, 06:29 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Cornish Cream LRC374

You can reduce the tongue weight by putting a fresh water tank where the 109 fuel tank was.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects