Rover Drive swap - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old May 12th, 2013, 09:08 PM
SurfWagon
Matthew
None

Rover Drive swap

Long story made short I just picked up a defender with a ton of spare parts.

I have 2 transmissions, the one installed is the standard Rover from a 2000 the other is a special off road one I don't really plan on using and will probably sell. But....the off road transmission is equipped with a Rover drive.

How hard would it to be to swap the Rover drive between the transmissions?

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	72206  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
What engine? Post the serial numbers of the gearboxes and we can understand what you are talking about.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:12 AM
SurfWagon
Matthew
None

Sorry I can't give more details when at work. Will get the numbers this evening.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I think he needs to step back and explain what he has.... He is in the USA, with an unknown year Defender. It could be anything. If he mean year 2000 gearbox, it would be for a TD5.

edit: Reading his posts, he has a 300TDI 110. There is really only one choice of gearbox, so I guess we need more info to understand what is meant by "a special off road one".

Old May 13th, 2013, 08:02 PM
SurfWagon
Matthew
None

What numbers I could find....

Offroad transmission(not installed)

HRC2807
TCP 19

Rover drive

DS 11223

On the engine

Maxion International
88030 131933

Casting stamp on the side says 45/99

On the installed transmission

1.410 ratio
22D221827D

------ Follow up post added May 13th, 2013 06:05 PM ------

Wish I had more info or could talk with the guy who made all of the changes.
Old May 13th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
OK... Are we talking about the transfer case or the gearbox? The last numbers are the serial number for a transfer case. The rest of the number do not mean anything.

In any case, there is no such thing as a special off road transfer case. They all have the same low range gearing unless you have Maxidrive low range gears. There would be no way to tell that other than measuring the gear ratio.

Old May 13th, 2013, 09:59 PM
SurfWagon
Matthew
None

Last set of numbers is for the installed transfer case.

Sorry I use the term transmission because that is what I am use to working with. Just showing my ignorance of British automotive engineering.

The off road transmission.... transfer case is of no use to me. Last owner installed a rover drive because he could not go over 50 mph with the special set up, told me that when he engaged it he could get up to 70mph. I would like to have that efficiency added to what I assume is a standard land rover 5 speed I currently have installed.

I don't intend to do serious offloading the requires crazy gear ratios. Just looking to gain some efficiency and better highway cruising speed.

If possible I would swap the rover drive and sell the unused transfer case. If not possible I would sell them both.
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It probably has a 1.6:1 high range. This is no help off road. They will both be the same in low range 3.32:1.

Transfer case is the term used in the USA as well. Transmission always refers to the main gearbox. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_case

Old May 14th, 2013, 08:36 AM
SurfWagon
Matthew
None

Thanks for straightning me out on the transmission - gearbox issue.
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:10 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Matthew, welcome to the forums. First, to answer your question it should be easy to fit the roverdrive - see their faq

http://roamerdrive.com/faqs.html

However, it would be best to establish what you actually have first. I feel like people are (unfairly) having a little fun with you here, so let me start by saying your truck is not the year you think it is. Pictures speak volumes so a few pictures of things like the shifter knob and interior, engine compartment, perhaps one of the transmission/transfer case can help others tell you what you actually have so you don't get bad advice.

The point Red90 was making is that on land rovers there is a transmission which works as you normally know it, and then a transfer case attached to it which allows you to do two things:

1. Engage a differential to send power to both the front and rear
2. Change to low range, effectively another (lower) set of gear ratios in all gears

The roverdrive connects to the back of the transfer case and does the opposite - gives you a high range, effectively another (higher) set of gear ratios in all gears.

In case it wasn't clear, he was saying that all defender transfer cases have the same low range gear ratios unless there is some custom gearing in it so it seems odd that it is billed as a custom offroad transfer case (and likely isn't). The differences between them are in the high range which is what you are experiencing. The gear ratio is expressed as a ratio, say 1:1.667, 1:1.2, 1:1.4 etc and this means that for every revolution on the engine, the driveshaft will turn the corresponding amount. As the number on the right gets bigger, the lower your rpms will be at highway speeds. There are online gear ratio calculators online that can help you calculate your rpms at speed, or figure out your gear ratio at a given speed knowing your tire size and differential ratios in your axles. You should be able to determine the gear ratios from the serial numbers on the transfer case as well which is why people were asking.

The diff ratios in the axles are important and likely a factor in your situation. These can be determined by jacking up the axles until the wheels are off the ground, putting the transfer case in neutral, and counting the wheel revolutions for the driveshaft revolutions (same principle as the transfer ratios described above).

Short term the roverdrive may be an easy fix, but long term you are better off figuring out your current ratios and where they are (axles or transfer case) and correcting them there (swapping diffs or the transfer case itself).

hth
charles
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:32 AM
SurfWagon
Matthew
None

This is the problem with a custom vehicle. Nothing is stock.

The good news is that by the time I figure it out all of this out I will be a land Rover expert.
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

As you've discovered, you have two gear boxes. One with five speeds and one with two. Make sure the one is two gears (aka Transfer box) is always in High with the diff unlocked when on roads.

The 1.4 is the ratio for the transfer box. For a 110 thats ok, but if you prefer lower revs at speed, trading for a D1 Transfer box will help.

Maxion is the Brazilian company that bought the rights to the 200 and 300tdi. The company was bought by Navistar and upgraded the 2.5tdi to 2.8tdi

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:50 AM
SurfWagon
Matthew
None

I'll just keep what I have installed in for now. Obviously, I need to do more homework.

For the record I'm not offended, just overwhelmed by the intensity of the assistance.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects