Roofliner headliner alternative - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 22nd, 2016, 06:22 PM
classic4x4
Justin
1986 Defender

Registry
Roofliner headliner alternative

Hello all,

I found a great alternative to the factory roof liner and I thought Id share it as I couldn't find any threads anywhere when i was looking for alternatives. My factory roof lining was sagging and not just the upholstery. The actual board backing was warped and anyone riding in the back had to crouch to fit, awful. I found an alternative that gives another inch of headroom than a non sagging factory roof liner, looks awesome and really ads a nice personal touch to the vehicle.

I bought several yards of foam backed alcantara in a sand color (matched my sun visors). I liked the classic foam backed headlining in my FJ40 and wanted something similar.

The fabric is only sold 55" wide so i bought it to use length wise to cover two sections front and back using the width of the fabric for the length of the car and cutting the length of the fabric to fit the contoured width of the roof.

Measure 10 times cut once. Can get really frustrating if screwed up. The only step left after gluing in the two sections was to cut window holes. This is the hardest part. Go slow use many blades.

The old mounting points for the snaps that hold the roof liner up were covered and used to hold large push button LED dome lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 6.19.18 PM.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	158179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 6.19.07 PM.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	158180  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 6.19.29 PM.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	158181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 6.18.56 PM.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	158182  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2016, 09:17 AM
RedRoverKatyTx
Scott Frost
1987 Defender 110 RHD 2.5 deisel

That looks really nice. Where did you purchase the liner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2016, 09:36 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Looks good. One idea I had was going with marine vinyl simply because its easy to clean. But this looks nice!
Old October 16th, 2016, 09:39 AM
pfshoen
Paul F. Shoen
1976 Range Rover

Excellent. Saggy headliners are an even worse problem in RRC's and P38's. The oem replacements are guaranteed to sag just like the original ones. This approach may not work as well in those cars. Letting the roof ribs show in a Defender is cool, but in a Range Rover, maybe not. Solid glass fibre units are available from the UK as a final solution.
Old October 16th, 2016, 09:48 AM
DC_Bear
Bear
1984 Nintey

Registry
Looks great. Where did you buy the liner roll? Did you use a spray adhesive or glue?
Old October 16th, 2016, 12:56 PM
classic4x4
Justin
1986 Defender

Registry
Purchased the material on amazon. It is almost identical to the color of the actual card headliner that was in the truck from the factory as well as the sun visors. The material is only 55" wide so I had to use the length of the fabric to run perpendicular to the vehicle. The bulkhead rear divide separates two pieces. Ordered 3 yards of it for about $60 shipped and its foam backed to cover the rivets.

------ Follow up post added October 16th, 2016 12:57 PM ------

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used 3M headliner spray adhesive. I did this before and didn't use enough. You really have to lather it on.
Old October 18th, 2016, 08:12 AM
DC_Bear
Bear
1984 Nintey

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic4x4 View Post
Purchased the material on amazon. It is almost identical to the color of the actual card headliner that was in the truck from the factory as well as the sun visors. The material is only 55" wide so I had to use the length of the fabric to run perpendicular to the vehicle. The bulkhead rear divide separates two pieces. Ordered 3 yards of it for about $60 shipped and its foam backed to cover the rivets.

------ Follow up post added October 16th, 2016 12:57 PM ------

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used 3M headliner spray adhesive. I did this before and didn't use enough. You really have to lather it on.
Awesome - thanks
Old October 18th, 2016, 08:50 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

Here's a good source for headliner material & supplies. Used them when I recovered my RRC headliner about 6 yrs ago and the color was a good match.
WLS Headliners - automotive inerterior products
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
headliner, roof, roofliner