Roof Refurb Advice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old August 30th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Roof Refurb Advice

I'm sure this information is somewhere on the site, but I haven't been able to find it as of yet.

In the middle of my 110 rebuild and I would like to get the roof ready for paint. I want to remove all the old cracked and useless sealant on the roof and in the gutters. I'm wondering if anyone has any good tricks for getting it out of the gutters? It's mighty thick in there.

Also wonder what the latest and greatest goop is for the reseal. I know I want something that resists UV, is non-silicone and self leveling. I imagine the stuff ECR uses works very well but I don't see it mentioned what actual product they use.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Will
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1442.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	78605  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2013, 12:17 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

ECR uses SEM sealers I believe. Im going to try the white self leveling SEM seal for the gutters.
Old August 30th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
ECR uses SEM sealers I believe. Im going to try the white self leveling SEM seal for the gutters.

Thanks for the info. Will you use the same SEM seal for the roof top seams as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'd use 3m 4200 or 5200 and know it will never leak again.

For removing the existing stuff try a product named antibond 2015. Its meant for the modern uber adhesive/sealants but seems to work on most any sealant. I find marine things correspond well to rovers as aluminum is popular in that industry as well. Things like tinned wire are key to quality upgrades on rovers.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...=antibond_2015

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 30th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I'd use 3m 4200 or 5200 and know it will never leak again
Does the 3M product self level or do you need to force it into the cracks and smooth it manually?

Again thanks for the info, I will try the antibond out.

Will
Old August 30th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilboro View Post
Does the 3M product self level or do you need to force it into the cracks and smooth it manually?

Again thanks for the info, I will try the antibond out.

Will
depends on conditions, if its cool and you don't buy the fast cure- yes it will self level. If its 85 and humid and you get the fast cure it may kick before laying down as much as you would like. Get a small 12 dollar tube and try it out. The caulk gun tubes are around 20. I use the stuff to fix everything.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old August 30th, 2013, 03:12 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
5200 is some of the stickiest goo on earth. Wear your surgical gloves cz the stuff gets all over no matter how careful you are.
Regular 5200 takes a long time to cure but once it does, that's it for ever.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old August 31st, 2013, 12:05 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Thanks for all the advice.

Is there anything else I should be thinking about when doing this project other than: Remove old stuff, clean and apply new. Then send for paint?
Old May 12th, 2014, 08:48 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Time to revive this thread. Ok so I did finish this roof, getting the old sealant out of the gutters was a huge project. I tried using this marine release agent, but it was a marginal help at best.

I ended up using the 5200, and went about it by laying a thick bead down, then pulling a home made tool to force it down and make a smooth flat surface. It worked ok but I think I might have gone a bit overboard with the amount of sealant. I also seems to have trapped some air in spots. If up you push down on it you can feel in areas what seems like voids underneath the surface. Not sure how I could have avoided that, maybe less 5200... Or maybe something a bit more viscous and self levelling, maybe the SEM stuff?
Overall it did a good job and I assume it will be water tight for some time.

So now it's time to do a second roof and I'm a bit loathe to pull all that gutter sealant again. Land rover monthly just had a feature where they suggest merely taking out any loose sealant and putting new on top of old. Anyone done this with success? I kind of feel like a hack even considering this route but the last one was such a pain.
Here are a few pics of the last roof.

Old May 12th, 2014, 09:30 PM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
Will, what did you use to remove the old sealant and can the 3m or SEM be left white or does it need paint over top?
Old May 12th, 2014, 09:49 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
I tried a few different tools but mainly ended up using a narrow flat screwdriver and a small awl. Oh and a razor. The marine release agent helped soften it a bit I suppose.
As far as not painting it, I think that's fine at least the 5200 anyway. It can however be sanded and painted if you want.

Old May 12th, 2014, 10:02 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
FWIW, I was told that some use a flame to burn the old sealant out.
I haven't done this personally and I imagine that not only is it tedious but I bet you have to be careful not to burn through or warp the birmabright.
Old May 12th, 2014, 10:10 PM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
Very helpful. I have cracks in the sealant/coating on the roof and the sealant in the gutters is obscene. Want to tackle this as soon as I can find some nice indoor space to do the work.
Old May 12th, 2014, 10:57 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

William - Hi. I'm going to have to do the same thing to my top. Thanks for posting your experience. So is the 5200 more like a puddy than a caulk?
Old May 12th, 2014, 11:06 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
It's like caulk, pretty gooey. But just not quite viscous enough to level itself. Any it's messy as others have said. It's hard to get off whatever it gets on. Gloves and old clothes are necessary. I've read mineral spirits are good to wipe things down after an hour, but I didn't try this myself.

Old May 12th, 2014, 11:15 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Old clothes..oh yes, I have been wearing and re-washing the same two sets of clothes during my restore. I have a 10 gallon bucket of por15 ...I'm ready for the messy. I just wasn't sure how quickly the 5200 sets up, if it's like caulk then I understand and bonus if it can be sanded and painted. Did you have anything on the inside of the roof, like a headliner? It looks like there was once something glued? onto mine.
Old May 12th, 2014, 11:25 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Ok por15 may be worse. 5200 is pretty slow to set, I think 7-14 days for full cure and it's tacky for at least 48/72hrs. 3m has a faster setting version of 5200 if you can't wait, and has similar properties http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...%20Sealing.pdf

Nothing was glued to the roof in mine, once the headliner was popped off it was primed aluminum. I did run a bead on the inside seams as well.

Old May 12th, 2014, 11:40 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Wow 7-14 days. Bet it sets up like concrete, good. I can already think of other projects to use it on. No rush here. Someone must have tried to glue something up there, all that is left is the residue. Whatever it was I'm glad I didn't have to rip it out. The only aluminum cleaning product that I have ever used is NAPA aluminum brightener, on canoes. It works really well. Do you think it would be safe to use this for removing that old adhesive? ..or do you know of something else?
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:37 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

Find your local automotive paint supplier and buy proper body sealant. It comes in cans for brushing on or tubes for caulking.
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
Wow 7-14 days. Bet it sets up like concrete, good. I can already think of other projects to use it on. No rush here. Someone must have tried to glue something up there, all that is left is the residue. Whatever it was I'm glad I didn't have to rip it out. The only aluminum cleaning product that I have ever used is NAPA aluminum brightener, on canoes. It works really well. Do you think it would be safe to use this for removing that old adhesive? ..or do you know of something else?
Look up a product called Anti Bond 2015. It was made for use with 5200. The only way to break the bond of 5200 is a razor blade or Anti Bond 2015. When I recommended 5200 to the OP I suggested the quick cure version.

Dividing Creek Imports

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
advice, roof