Resealed my steering box - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old April 24th, 2016, 06:33 PM
defenderholty
Russell
1985 LR Ninety 200tdi

Resealed my steering box

I was pretty tired of constantly explaining why my truck was pissing lucas all over the street and driveways where I parked, so I decided to take a chance on resealing the input and output shaft on my power steering box.
Taking the pitman arm off was the hardest part. But wasn't that bad, use a good puller (they are inexpensive) and an air hammer. The input shaft seals came out pretty easy, but where the output shaft comes out of the box it was warped, so the seals and snap ring were pretty stubborn. Im guessing that the PO hit it with and 8lb sledge and disfigured it trying to reseal it previously. Im guessing by the amount of rust and gunk around 10 years ago.
All in all it was a job worth doing. Im guessing if you don't have to run out to buy tools it would take somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 hours from taking the box off of the truck to putting it back on.
There aren't a lot of discussions about it, but there maybe should be. I was surprised at how easy it was.

If this is interesting to anyone, it cost me around $32 and about 4 hours, and I would be happy to explain how I did it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2016, 06:44 PM
defenderholty
Russell
1985 LR Ninety 200tdi

Oh yeah, Included in the 4 hours was rebuilding the ball joint at the end of the pitman arm.
Old July 5th, 2016, 10:29 PM
gwmckee
George
1994 NAS D90 #1919

Explain away, please. I'm having a heck of a time getting my output shaft back in.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects