Rebuilt my door tops - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old October 30th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Spook
Rich
97 Defender 90

Registry
Rebuilt my door tops

So, i wanted to redo my doors, which included the tops. The skinny, added sound deader and cleaned out the bottoms and completely rebuilt the tops.

1. took the tops off.
2. took them all the way apart.
3. had the repowder coated.
4. ordered all new rubber and the kit from garrison. also, new SS bolts and tightners from RN. also, ordered the draught rails as mine were beat up from rovers south in Nola (solid guy with great prices)
5. put them back together today after picking them up at the painter.

Completely different ride. Sound is half what it used to be. No day light in the tops between the top and the door. also, went through the car wash and no water around the outside of the door, it used to poor in.

Couple of quick after thoughts. They did no spray the channels when i had them coated. I new with the rubber vice felt the tight would be an issue. The back panes move a bit tight but not bad. The front panes take some bicep. Hopefully, they lose up a bit or I'll use a bit of silicone spray.
I now have water the comes in between the tops and the bottoms. before it used to be from around the door. Might take the tops off and see if I need to rubber or something needs to be adjusted.

Cost is below.
Rubber stuff $60
Garrison rubber kit $130
Draught rails $40
Powder coat $75
SS bolts and nuts $150
So about $450 or so.

I'll update once I find the gasket issue. As of now I have the channel on the gasket matched up to the channel on the door frame. So, the lip it facing the outside and down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2014, 01:25 PM
Beaver87
Alistair Davidson
Ex MOD '86 90 12j

Door Care

Decided to unbolt the top of the door from the bottom last night. Got quite a surprise.
Seems that with the loverly weather we have in PNW water is running down the windows into the window slide channels and then down into the seam between top and bottom door halfs.
My doors are pretty new but will start to rust if aloud to continue. Any ideas or long term solutions to this problem? Cant see a way round it without changing the window type.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 01:03 AM
Spook
Rich
97 Defender 90

Registry
not sure i can add more. I do know some water gets into the door itself. Also, that door drains get cloged. when i went through the car wash after i had water running inside but at the gasket but inside the door was dry from what i saw. I think it is a lot of trial and error.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2014, 07:46 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
The water that gets into the doortop channels has to go somewhere unless you want to let it pool up. Ideally, it drains through the door top, and finds its way out a groove in the rubber gasket to the outside of the door.

I think mine used to drain to the inside as well. draining through the door itself might be the rover way, but surely there could be an improvement made somehow?
~Steve

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
door, door tops, top