Rear View Mirror Upgrade - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old October 9th, 2013, 12:34 AM
Wildcat
Nick
1997 Defender 90 SW

Rear View Mirror Upgrade

Has anyone upgraded the rear view mirror in their D90? I'm thinking of installing an auto-dimming rear view mirror with compass and map lights. I haven't purchased one yet, so I thought I would check to see of anyone has installed one that they would recommend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2013, 12:47 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Please do a write up!
Old October 9th, 2013, 03:02 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Yes I have one in mine. Its the stock mirror from a 96 D1 that I got to replace a broken one in the Disco and never used. Mine is mounted from the bracket for my overhead console though so slightly different than stock.

I hate getting blinded at night with the mirror and this cures the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07708.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	81788   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07711.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	81789  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I found good deals on Ebay when I bought mine. My Original NAS 110 one dimmed but it was permanently tinted lightly and I wanted more functions, so I installed one with Auto Dimming and Ext. Temp. I think it has a Compass Too, but I forget now. Super easy install, they're pretty much all made by 2 or 3 companies both as retrofits and for all the car manufacturers. Gentex is one of the biggest and most common, I think that is what I bought, but any of the big names are great, just do a search and pick one with the right functions for you.

You can get them with Homelink, Video Screens, Map Lights, Compass, Ext Temp, Auto Dimming, etc. I think you can even get them with On Star, but I'm not sure if everything you need for the system to operate is built into the Mirror, if that is of interest, do some research, it very well may all be built right into the mirror.
Old October 9th, 2013, 11:16 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
This. If it wasn't so low on my priority list, it would already be done. I think it's a cool option, especially since my mirror is already a little oxidized.
Old October 9th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
This. If it wasn't so low on my priority list, it would already be done. I think it's a cool option, especially since my mirror is already a little oxidized.
There's an app for that. I've been thinking of a backup camera as well but wanted a more versatile solution that utilizes the larger screen of my iPhone/iPad. A rear view mirror screen is pretty small. I looked at a Go Pro but the Contour GPS camera is lower profile. You can use it as a back up camera and an action camera. There's lots of mounting options actually (roll bar, flex straps, helmet, ski pole, handle bars, hat, bow, suction cup, picatinny rail, etc.) It records and streams real-time to your smartphone via Bluetooth. It also has GPS so others can track your location, if you wish. Rechargeable batteries are integrated in the unit and there's an optional charging kit to wire it to your vehicle. 4GB Micro SD card and waterproof case included. Take it with you or lock it inside the vehicle. Very versatile. A little expensive, but you own a Defender. Thoughts?

http://store.contour.com/
'96 D1 SE7 Willow Green - SOLD
Old October 9th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I was thinking the same thing about a Back-Up Camera. I wish there was a Video Input to iPads, or that Garmin or somebody offered a GPS with a Video Input to display a backup camera as well. Ideally, I think it would be great to have an iPad mount with an iPad running GPS and displaying your backup camera. It can double as an audio source too, and will give you WiFi in a lot of places...of course you'd need more out in the wilderness for better coverage, but for most daily use I think it would be great! It would also be great to have it display Tire Pressure...things I've thought about...haha
Old October 9th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede View Post
I was thinking the same thing about a Back-Up Camera. I wish there was a Video Input to iPads, or that Garmin or somebody offered a GPS with a Video Input to display a backup camera as well. Ideally, I think it would be great to have an iPad mount with an iPad running GPS and displaying your backup camera. It can double as an audio source too, and will give you WiFi in a lot of places...of course you'd need more out in the wilderness for better coverage, but for most daily use I think it would be great! It would also be great to have it display Tire Pressure...things I've thought about...haha
That's exactly why I have an iPad mount on my dash. See attached pic. I have it wired for power and audio as well. Just need the camera. Bluetooth for short range applications works pretty good compared to wired video input.

I also have a Wilson Electronics 4G cell phone booster kit for more remote areas. It boosts my iPhone from a 1/2 watt to 3 watts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3086616238.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	81805  
Old October 9th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep29 View Post
That's exactly why I have an iPad mount on my dash. See attached pic. I have it wired for power and audio as well. Just need the camera. Bluetooth for short range applications works pretty good compared to wired video input.

I also have a Wilson Electronics 4G cell phone booster kit for more remote areas. It boosts my iPhone from a 1/2 watt to 3 watts.
How do you stream video via bluetooth to it? I imagine you can buy a bluetooth backup camera right?
Old October 9th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede View Post
How do you stream video via bluetooth to it? I imagine you can buy a bluetooth backup camera right?
Yes you need a bluetooth camera. The Contour GPS camera streams via BT. You use your iPhone/iPad as the controller.

http://store.contour.com/

Edit* if you just want a back-up camera, the Contour GPS is overkill since it's way more than that. I'm sure there are other, less expensive Bluetooth camera's though.

Nevermind about the Contour. It looks like they went out of business!
Old October 9th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

How does your overhead console attach to the B pillar?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
Yes I have one in mine. Its the stock mirror from a 96 D1 that I got to replace a broken one in the Disco and never used. Mine is mounted from the bracket for my overhead console though so slightly different than stock.

I hate getting blinded at night with the mirror and this cures the problem.
Old October 9th, 2013, 02:21 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldewin View Post
How does your overhead console attach to the B pillar?
Its a universal one and just clamps around the padding.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC07608.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	81806  
Old October 9th, 2013, 02:23 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I put one of these in my D90...I started to go the fancier route but actually found that I cared more about some decent interior lights than a compass or thermometer. I swapped the bulbs out for some LED units and really like it.

http://www.amazon.com/CIPA-36000-Nig...ar+view+mirror
Old October 9th, 2013, 03:44 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
I put one of these in my D90...I started to go the fancier route but actually found that I cared more about some decent interior lights than a compass or thermometer. I swapped the bulbs out for some LED units and really like it. http://www.amazon.com/CIPA-36000-Nig...ar+view+mirror
Jeff...how did you wire it up? Could you tap into the overhead light? I like the simplicity of this option. I need more light.

For those that have the compass, temperature and homelink options... Where did you mount the thermostat, where/how was everything wired?
Old October 9th, 2013, 04:10 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
If you use the wiring from the interior light you only have a perm supply and a switched ground. So the mirror will be on all the time plus you need to find/make a new ground connection. I ran new switched and dedicated ground wires up for mine. So its only live with the ignition on. Its a very low current draw so you don't need big beefy wires and it routes up behind the trim panels quite easily and well hidden. If you get the compass/temp or other options you need to run wires back anyway so you might as well run new power/ground up to it.

Mines been in there for about 4 yrs with no problems.

Edit - Just realized you might only be talking about the lighting function on some mirrors. If so, disregard above but I will leave it there for others who may be considering a mirror install.
Old October 9th, 2013, 04:29 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
If you use the wiring from the interior light you only have a perm supply and a switched ground. So the mirror will be on all the time plus you need to find/make a new ground connection. I ran new switched and dedicated ground wires up for mine. So its only live with the ignition on. Its a very low current draw so you don't need big beefy wires and it routes up behind the trim panels quite easily and well hidden. If you get the compass/temp or other options you need to run wires back anyway so you might as well run new power/ground up to it.

Mines been in there for about 4 yrs with no problems.

Edit - Just realized you might only be talking about the lighting function on some mirrors. If so, disregard above but I will leave it there for others who may be considering a mirror install.

Thank you.. where did you run the wires/make the connection for the new switched & dedicated ground?
Old October 9th, 2013, 05:18 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKilo23 View Post
Thank you.. where did you run the wires/make the connection for the new switched & dedicated ground?
I have a ground stud behind my binnacle into the bulkhead. Can't remember what circuit I used. Might have been the radio but it was a while ago now. The mirror is only a very small drain so it shouldn't matter really what circuit you use as long as you do it after the fuse box.

I ran the wires behind the binnacle and up behind the driver's side window trim (hockey stick), then along above the upper window trim above the sun visor. Used the same route for the CB Power wires as well. It's the same route the stock interior light wires run if I remember.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects