Rear Axle Rebuild/Toyota Conversion - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old May 11th, 2010, 05:18 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Rear Axle Rebuild/Toyota Conversion

Starting getting parts for a new project. Instead of making it easy and just using an ARB 4.11 setup I bought from Ron, I'm going to try Keith's/RoverTracks Toyota conversion. This post will document the process along with costs and Ease/PITA of install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2010, 05:25 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

look forward to seeing it....
Old May 11th, 2010, 05:50 PM
mightymg
Lane Farka
97 D90, 05 LR3, 95 RRC LWB

SWEET!!

did you get the third in one piece?

95 RRC LWB-- DD
97 D90 37 " krawlers, coilovers, beadlocks, stretched
05 LR3 - Mamas/ tow rig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Moab rally vids 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2010, 05:50 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
http://bankbikes.com/D90/Rear_Axle/img_0098.jpg
http://bankbikes.com/D90/Rear_Axle/img_0099.jpg
Rear Disco axle I got from the boneyard today - this sucker is heavy!

http://bankbikes.com/D90/Rear_Axle/img_0100.jpg
Toyota E-Locker on the left, ARB in a LR diff w/ 4.10's on the right

I'll get more detailed pics as I go along.

Costs so far:
Rear axle - $250
Toy-E-Locker w/ 4.10 gearing - $450
ARB LR Diff w/ 4.10 gearing - $800

------ Follow up post added May 11th, 2010 06:14 PM ------

Plan (as of right now):

Strip Disco axle
Get Toy Conversion kit from Keith @ RT's
Fab axle housing to fit Toy-E-Locker diff and have my buddy TIG weld it together
Get it sandblasted then powdercoated
Rebuild hubs using new bearings and new brake disks and backing plate
Install Toy diff and RoverTrack HD axles
Setup brakes with new pads and lines (hopefully stainless)

Overall my plan is to get the axle all done on the shop floor and that way I can spend a minimal amount of time with the 90 out of commission. And I can take my time and get the axle cleaned up as best I can. I might continue using the POR-15 & chassis black on that section of frame as it will be wide open.

If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts please feel free to let me know. I'm sure I'll have questions as I get more into it.

------ Follow up post added May 11th, 2010 06:18 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymg View Post
SWEET!!

did you get the third in one piece?
I think I would have gotten fine crystal in one piece the way you wrapped it up! Thanks!

It blew away the FedEx guy. I yelled "it's going to be heavy" right before he picked it up. He was like "WTF?" is in there and laughed when I told him a differental. He said it was a smart way to ship it. Stock piling pieces and saving coin for Keith's kit and might even go Buck's sways at the same time.

One thing for sure is how much beefier that pinion gear is.
Old May 11th, 2010, 06:30 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Nice!
Old May 11th, 2010, 06:31 PM
mightymg
Lane Farka

Cool, Im glad it made it.. I packaged it in the plastic 5 gallon tub because a few years ago I sold will tillery an arb third and I packaged it in a cardboard box. Well UPS dropped it somewhere so bad that it demolished the box, bent the pinion flange and effed the whole thing up. so I refunded will the money and did a claim for the insurance and they told me to get bent... so thats also why i use fed ex.

------ Follow up post added May 11th, 2010 04:32 PM ------

when you cut the old diff cover off, dont forget to leave a little lip to help center the sewer cap...

95 RRC LWB-- DD
05 LR3 - Mamas/ tow rig

- Moab rally vids 2010
Old May 11th, 2010, 08:25 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Cool Don... Looks like a great project. I would sugest not to powder coat the housing.. I would just prime and paint it. Its a lot cheaper and you can touch it up when you scratch it on the rocks... I'm also not a fan of rear backing plates. I remove them permanently on all builds. They always get crap jammed behind them..

------ Follow up post added May 11th, 2010 08:26 PM ------

when lookin for one of those 3rd's, what year and spec do you look for?
Old May 11th, 2010, 09:19 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymg View Post
Cool, Im glad it made it.. I packaged it in the plastic 5 gallon tub because a few years ago I sold will tillery an arb third and I packaged it in a cardboard box. Well UPS dropped it somewhere so bad that it demolished the box, bent the pinion flange and effed the whole thing up. so I refunded will the money and did a claim for the insurance and they told me to get bent... so thats also why i use fed ex.

------ Follow up post added May 11th, 2010 04:32 PM ------

when you cut the old diff cover off, dont forget to leave a little lip to help center the sewer cap...
Thanks for the tip. Hopefully my buddy will lay down his fine beads on that part of it :D

------ Follow up post added May 11th, 2010 09:44 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy View Post
Cool Don... Looks like a great project. I would sugest not to powder coat the housing.. I would just prime and paint it. Its a lot cheaper and you can touch it up when you scratch it on the rocks... I'm also not a fan of rear backing plates. I remove them permanently on all builds. They always get crap jammed behind them..

------ Follow up post added May 11th, 2010 08:26 PM ------

when lookin for one of those 3rd's, what year and spec do you look for?
Thanks for the tips Randy. I have been going back and forth on whether to PC on the axle housing. The PC guy I use has done pieces for me before and they come out really good. He'd done mtn bike frames that see their fair share of tosses and rocks and they've held up well. He also did my rear bumper and yes it did get some grind marks on Florida Rd it overall it held up really good.

But the biggest reason to PC for me is I f**king hate prepping and painting stuff. PC - I can drop it off and pick it up in a week and it'll look sweet for about $100. I'm weird - some grind marks would make me stoked a paint run would drive me nuts. IDK - I'll probably think about it some more.

I like to hear that about rear backing plates. I was going to ask what they heck their purpose is? To get clogged with junk and then rust? I'll be sure to delete them.

I honestly don't know the year and spec on the Toyota third. Keith and Lane helped me out a ton on it. I'd send Keith an email as he probably knows of the top of his head. I have to say Keith has been top notch so far. I sent him a page long email asking all sorts of kooky questions. He was coming up with ideas and answered everything. You can tell he just loves it. And bare in mind I haven't ordered any kit (but soon!)
Old May 11th, 2010, 11:09 PM
mightymg
Lane Farka

The thirds for the front are any front FJ 80 landcruiser third, you can get a e locker or an open one. the rear just needs to be a yota 8 cyl third, you can use a 4 banger one, or the recommended v6. They are both 30 spline, but the v6 has larger carrier bearings, and are stronger.

I hope this helps..

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Thanks for the tip. Hopefully my buddy will lay down his fine beads on that part of it :D

------ Follow up post added May 11th, 2010 09:44 PM ------

Thanks for the tips Randy. I have been going back and forth on whether to PC on the axle housing. The PC guy I use has done pieces for me before and they come out really good. He'd done mtn bike frames that see their fair share of tosses and rocks and they've held up well. He also did my rear bumper and yes it did get some grind marks on Florida Rd it overall it held up really good.

But the biggest reason to PC for me is I f**king hate prepping and painting stuff. PC - I can drop it off and pick it up in a week and it'll look sweet for about $100. I'm weird - some grind marks would make me stoked a paint run would drive me nuts. IDK - I'll probably think about it some more.

I like to hear that about rear backing plates. I was going to ask what they heck their purpose is? To get clogged with junk and then rust? I'll be sure to delete them.

I honestly don't know the year and spec on the Toyota third. Keith and Lane helped me out a ton on it. I'd send Keith an email as he probably knows of the top of his head. I have to say Keith has been top notch so far. I sent him a page long email asking all sorts of kooky questions. He was coming up with ideas and answered everything. You can tell he just loves it. And bare in mind I haven't ordered any kit (but soon!)

95 RRC LWB-- DD
05 LR3 - Mamas/ tow rig

- Moab rally vids 2010
Old May 11th, 2010, 11:23 PM
mightymg
Lane Farka

here is a few pics of my conversions i did about 3 years ago..

wow my welds sucked baaaaaad! HA!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toyo 30 spline 002.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	27505   Click image for larger version

Name:	toyo 30 spline 007.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	27506  

Name:	toyo 30 spline 009.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	27507   Click image for larger version

Name:	e locker rear 001.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	27508  

Name:	e locker rear 002.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	27509   Click image for larger version

Name:	e locker rear 003.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	27510  

Name:	e locker rear 006.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	27511   Click image for larger version

Name:	e locker rear 007.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	27512  

Name:	e locker rear 008.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	27513   Click image for larger version

Name:	e locker rear 011.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	27514  

95 RRC LWB-- DD
05 LR3 - Mamas/ tow rig

- Moab rally vids 2010
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:30 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Cool pix... Do the rears come in an e-locker as well?
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:45 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You could take the axle housing down to blastmaster in Clifton, have them blast it and put on a coat of their zinc-rich primer. Its the next best thing to galv without the hassle of dipping. I did that for both my axles and then just shot them with rustoleum to make them black.

Old May 12th, 2010, 08:50 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

now I know where that e-locker I wanted ended up.... I may have to track you down and kill you

------ Follow up post added May 12th, 2010 05:57 AM ------

I'm doing this conversion too... having trouble finding the e-lockers for a decent price... may end up paying out the nose for them...
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:39 AM
mightymg
Lane Farka

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy View Post
Cool pix... Do the rears come in an e-locker as well?

Yes the TRD tacomas, and prerunners had them...

95 RRC LWB-- DD
05 LR3 - Mamas/ tow rig

- Moab rally vids 2010
Old May 13th, 2010, 09:30 AM
LFORGUE8
Lucas Forgue
2011 Rangie

Ive got new RT caps (Keith told me they were a new design) at home waiting to be welded in but i think it would be better to remove as much of the old cover as possible.....at least the caps i have only have a small angled chamfer taken out and i tried to pound it on but would sit right.....so i took the rest of the cover off and made sure the surface was level.....ive burned in all the studs on my front and rear conversion now just to see if the diffs fit and then weld the caps and paint everything.

i cant wait to get this setup out in the woods!
Old May 13th, 2010, 09:51 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Thanks - I guess I'll just wait to see what the cap looks like before I start cutting. So you are going front and rear Toy? Would love to hear what you think about it on the trail (as well as on the street too).
Old May 13th, 2010, 09:56 AM
LFORGUE8
Lucas Forgue
2011 Rangie

yep front and rear...ive got a lockright in the back for now (we'll see how well it works).....and the new yukon airlocker up front both with 4.10 gears.........total time i have about maybe 4-5 hrs left but getting out there in the garage is another story..hope to have it done soon though
Old May 13th, 2010, 02:49 PM
mightymg
Lane Farka

Yeah i have the new cap on the front and the old style on the rear of mine.. they both work th esame, the new style is machined out to allow it to be smaller and cloer to the gears.

you will love the lockrite, I ran that in the back of my toy disco for about 2 years and it was awesome always locked up when the cdl was locked, and stayed unlocked when the cdl was unlocked. It was great...

95 RRC LWB-- DD
05 LR3 - Mamas/ tow rig

- Moab rally vids 2010
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:02 PM
LFORGUE8
Lucas Forgue
2011 Rangie

Good to hear.......im probably not going any bigger than a 35 with the truck anyhow so i dont think ill have any probs
Old October 7th, 2010, 10:34 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Just to throw a small update in the process. Yes, I am slow on certain things this being one of them.

I got the axle stripped, then sand blasted. Finally got it over to my buddy so he could lay some wire down. He actually needed to bring it to work as he only had a TIG machine at his house. And with the Sewer Cap being so thick said MIG would be the way to go. Said the penetration ended up good and his buddy at work thought he back purged it, haha.

Anyway here is my gallery documenting it: http://d90.unionstreetbikes.com/medi...picture&id=153

I have a bunch of new parts like seals, rotors, pads. Just need to figure out what coating I want to go with it and set some time to finish it up. I've been side tracking myself with a VDO speedo install, Yakima tire rack fab, Storage box, and rear jump seat seatbelts. Once I get it painted, I should have a boost in motivation to assemble it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	153-dsc00301.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	31959  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
axle, conversion, rebuild