Rear Axle Rebuild/Toyota Conversion - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old November 10th, 2011, 09:58 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don

Hey Charles - if you have the room, could you pack the diff? Hopefully I won't need it but I got the gears in late today from Lucky8 and not sure if the local shop can get turn it around for me quickly tomorrow. Hate to be a bother but it could save the trip if things don't go well for me tomorrow. Thanks!
Sure. I threw it In the trailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2011, 04:13 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Just an update with even more gear issues

Not sure if I stated before but bought a R&P setup from Lucky8. 4.12 Ashcroft. Looks good and had it installed into one of the open Rover diffs I had around.

Put the 3rd in the front last week and then thought I was good - so checked the tire rotation with 2 side tire up in the air. Figured they would be rotating the same but nope.

Recount front - just over 4 rotations with 2 turns of the front wheel.

Count back and low and behold 3 3/4 turns of the output flange. WTF? In my rush, I must have counted the rear wrong when I went to put that ARB in.

I pulled the rear shaft this time and drove the truck locally over the weekend. Finally pulled the rear 3rd today and counted gears - 41R x 11P - yup 3.72 ratio.

This is either getting funny or pathetic. It's definitely getting expensive. 2 diffs bought being told they had 4.1 gearing and both with different actual ratios. I feel like an asshole that I didn't count teeth while they were on the floor and now I am paying. Looks like Toy R&P's are cheaper than Rover but by the time I get the R&P, and bearing kit and installed it will be more than what I payed for the diff itself (this isn't taking into account all the BS work I have had to do swapping things around and the expense of buying gaskets and gear oil).

Anyway - I'm super bummed out on this whole thing. I want to grenade my truck and go ride bikes - much cheaper and less headaches.
Old December 8th, 2011, 05:32 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
2 diffs bought being told they had 4.1 gearing and both with different actual ratios.
That's not cool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 13th, 2011, 12:36 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
That's not cool!
Not cool and from 2 different people so not sure what happened. Must just have been bad luck. But then again, it could have been worse. When setting up for Rausch I could have easily have put the front in with 4.10's and had the rear at 3.73 (with me assuming it was 4.1's). At the very least it is a learning experience. And learning is never cheap.

Called Inchworm and they will be sending a 4.1 kit. A big ouch on the added cost but hopefully this will be it as far as diffs are concerned. I may even give it a go at swapping the gears myself. My dad will be in town for Xmas so if there is time I will see if he can give me a hand as he has done it before.

And I might be leaning towards getting bigger tires now with the new gears - does it ever end???
Old January 17th, 2012, 01:44 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Update - Finally got the 4.10 R&P into the Toyota E-Locker diff. Big ouch on the total cost but whatever. If and when I do the front Toy conversion I will probably just get a complete and new diff from inchworm.com Try shaving costs and it ends up biting me in the ass.

While I was waiting for the Toy to get fixed I wanted to take care of some rattles. I bought the brass bushing kit from AB for the rear tire carrier. And bought an OME bush kit for the rear shocks. I noticed when I swapped things the rubber ones were looking a bit tired and I noticed on the Disco axle housing that it had integrated bushing cups. Took the cups off the right hand side and swapped the bushes in that shock.

Finally got the truck to drive for a short trip. O yeah, had to reset the E-Locker mech to open the rear diff.

But now it seems to be driving well. I thought the 4.1's might be a little low and they are but once I get into 4th it seems to be fine around town. Might play with the tire pressure a bit and still need to get it on the highway to see where the RPM's fall.

The rattles I was talking about are mostly gone - that tire carrier must have been really bad. And those integrated shock cups must have been hitting metal to metal. Still need to do the drivers side.

One thing I have noticed is that the drivetrain just seems tight now. Put it in gear and there's little play in the driveline. Granted there are a lot of new bearings in this set up but just feels really solid. It was bit of an excursion of a job but if it keeps the solid feel I'll be able to say it was worth it. Can't wait to try it out on trail.
Old January 17th, 2012, 09:53 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The stock open diffs wear terribly and cause a lot of slop. You can actually see the spider gears eating into the case.
Old January 18th, 2012, 12:18 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
The stock open diffs wear terribly and cause a lot of slop. You can actually see the spider gears eating into the case.
They must as the truck drives so much differently now. A lot less of a tractor, haha. I know everything has new bearings, R&Ps, and seals but it's a big difference. My guess is even after things wear in with the Toyota/RovingTracks stuff it will still feel nice and solid.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
axle, conversion, rebuild