Radiator? for a 4.2L and Auto Trans into a D110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old November 4th, 2014, 11:02 PM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

Radiator? for a 4.2L and Auto Trans into a D110

Is there a radiator in any of the model year Defenders that will accommodate all of the cooling lines from a 4.2L RRC engine and automatic transmission? Wanting to install into the stock location of my '86 D110 without heavy modification. I heard that a 1997 or newer Defender radiat. might work. I also need to consider the future installation of the A/C radiator and fans from the RRC too, but not necessary.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2014, 11:45 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

No defender had a Trans cooler in the radiator. You need the porcupine looking one off a 97 D90 (might be the same as an RRC/D1, I don't know). Do you have a 93-94 4.2 or a 95 4.2? The oil cooler lines are different, although the NAS defender radiators are all the same except that early 94 and NAS 110 had removable fittings (maybe they ran later, not sure)

If you have a 93/94, I would just not run the oil cooler lines.
Old November 5th, 2014, 01:11 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

On my 3.9 out of my dead disco I used a radiator out if a 95 stick and added a Hayden cooler for transmission cooling.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2014, 12:42 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

I've had not one problem using the stock V8 radiator in my 110 with the 4.6. Even while towing my farm tractor on my car trailer in the summer it would keep it in the safe zone. I would make sure your stock radiator is in good shape (along with the rest of the cooling system) and install an external transmission cooler.
Old November 8th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
No defender had a Trans cooler in the radiator. You need the porcupine looking one off a 97 D90 (might be the same as an RRC/D1, I don't know). Do you have a 93-94 4.2 or a 95 4.2? The oil cooler lines are different, although the NAS defender radiators are all the same except that early 94 and NAS 110 had removable fittings (maybe they ran later, not sure)

If you have a 93/94, I would just not run the oil cooler lines.
Radiator from a v8 defender will be fine. A 4.2 is simply a stroked 3.9. The 97 d90 trans cooler isn't the hair brush looking one but rather a rectangular radiator looking one. I did a 110 conversion using all factory correct 97 NAS 90 bits purchased from Rovers North and would recommend that option. I have also used the hair brush looking one from RRC's and disco's on two auto conversions now and there will need to be a spacer on one end of that cooler as the brackets do not expand out far enough to reach the insides for the front wings. I use a small piece of azek as its easily worked with and inert.
Classic or disco cooling lines will require modification to work, the factory correct lines for a 97 are still available.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 8th, 2014, 09:35 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Or you could just take the radiators to an old school radiator shop and he can put the left side tank onto the defender radiator and rod it out and flow test it at the same time..shouldn't be more that $100... Job done
Old November 8th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Or you could just take the radiators to an old school radiator shop and he can put the left side tank onto the defender radiator and rod it out and flow test it at the same time..shouldn't be more that $100... Job done
What radiator are you suggesting would he be taking the trans cooler from ? Range rover classics, and disco's, and defenders have external coolers.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old November 8th, 2014, 10:16 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

I will check the rads I have laying around but you could take the right side tank off a classic and install it on the left side...I wanna say I looked into this before and didn't see a reason why it couldn't be done..the 2 small ports are easily blocked at the same time as the rad shop does his thing..or install a nifty little drain tap there (top right tubes would be bottom left now..)
Old November 8th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
What radiator are you suggesting would he be taking the trans cooler from ? Range rover classics, and disco's, and defenders have external coolers.
I haven't looked at one in a long time, but I seem to remember that they also have a cooler built into the radiator.
Old November 8th, 2014, 11:16 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

Correct..the range rover classic rad I have here (or maybe disco1) has a cooler in each side and that is what I was recalling.the left one looks to be a little wider than one on a defender but only by about half an inch or so. I took a look at a defender with the rad installed and I think there is enough room to do it..pic attached of rad I was referring to..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	106652  
Old November 8th, 2014, 11:18 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

Crappy pic but definitely one each side..mounting tabs on sides are just sweat on so can easily be removed..defender mounting plates are top and bottom horizontal tank to tank tie ins..
Old November 8th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Classics ran both.

I wouldn't/don't run atf through a radiator . Trans fluid cooks/ burns/breaks down and makes varnish @ just above 200 degree's which is normal operating temp for an engine, it seems like a very poor idea to me. Recollection is that auto trans fluid temps sub 180 degree's are what is reccomended

Dividing Creek Imports

Old November 8th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
A RRC radiator won't fit in a Defender, its just a little bit too wide.
Old November 8th, 2014, 11:26 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

Sorry Doug..d1 and classics have them...right side of rad is engine oil cooler..tranny fluid runs through the left side AND the wire brush looking thingy

------ Follow up post added November 8th, 2014 11:26 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
A RRC radiator won't fit in a Defender, its just a little bit too wide.
Yes, but the end caps do onto the shorter defender core..
Old November 8th, 2014, 11:31 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

Rad out of 1997 disco 1..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	106654  
Old November 8th, 2014, 11:33 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

The top line goes to the brush cooler in front of the radiator and then to the trans but the bottom line goes straight back to the trans..
Old November 8th, 2014, 11:44 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I can tell you from bad experience that any oil cooler lines running through the radiator is a bad design.
A few years back, going to work at 4AM, when I still had the V8 in the Disco, the radiator fractured at the transmission cooling line. The system never showed externals warnings there was a problem. Temperature stayed constant. No leaking because the breach was internal.
The transmission started shifting strangely. Very smooth for what I was accustom to. I checked the fluid when I got to work. It was milky.
During tear down we found coolant in the transmission and the radiator half empty.
My advise, keep the oil cooling lines separate from the radiator.
Old November 8th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
I can tell you from bad experience that any oil cooler lines running through the radiator is a bad design.
A few years back, going to work at 4AM, when I still had the V8 in the Disco, the radiator fractured at the transmission cooling line. The system never showed externals warnings there was a problem. Temperature stayed constant. No leaking because the breach was internal.
The transmission started shifting strangely. Very smooth for what I was accustom to. I checked the fluid when I got to work. It was milky.
During tear down we found coolant in the transmission and the radiator half empty.
My advise, keep the oil cooling lines separate from the radiator.
Several manufacturers have come to the same conclusion. I think the original thought process was that since the engines warm up quickly running the fluid through the rad tank would warm it and make for smoother shifts with more viscous fluid and smoother driveability in cold weather.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old November 8th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Sorry Doug..d1 and classics have them...right side of rad is engine oil cooler..tranny fluid runs through the left side AND the wire brush looking thingy
Yep said that a couple posts back. Pretty sure that was designed as a warmer for cold weather shifts, not a cooler which is why it is just before the trans on the return. Auto trans Defenders did not utilize one. Trying to understand why you are championing installing one on a defender since we all know Atf fluid temp has a direct correlation to torque converter and clutch/trans life.
I thought the original poster was asking what was the simplest/cheapest/best way to do this.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old November 8th, 2014, 03:19 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

Not championing it..I thought the OP was asking if a radiator one can be fitted.. And lets also keep in mind radiator temps do not run at engine temps..if it does then there is something wrong and your under radiatored.. Most automatic transmissions cars have the tranny fluid running through the radiator..but usually in the bottom of the radiator where the coolant should be coldest..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
110, d110, radiator