Radiator Drain - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old April 16th, 2012, 05:59 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
O2batsea - thanks for the siphon trick tip. I need to pull the radiator soon and will try it out. Was looking at it today and was thinking it was going to be messy trying any other way.

I do think the jegs valve is slick too and might try it depending on how the siphon method works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

But then the oil filter is going to get coolant splashed onto it Actually I like the idea of getting a plug welded in, will do that next time I get my radiator recored as well.

Robert Deniro
Old April 16th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
I have a super siphon hose that I'll try next time. The problem with the 300tdi rad though is that you can't seem to get very far down into it. Has anyone tried the block drain on a 300tdi? Smaller hole = more control? Just curious how to access it.
I looked into this. This drain valve would have to be smaller (like 1/2") to work on the hose that runs under the tdi fan shroud. It's a v8 option for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
But then the oil filter is going to get coolant splashed onto it Actually I like the idea of getting a plug welded in, will do that next time I get my radiator recored as well.
Nope...no coolant splashes on the oil filter, no even a tiddlty bit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'm not too concerned with splashing my oil filter. Getting drenched, drinking coolant and dumping it all over the driveway just seem idiotic though. The steering guard doesn't make it any easier. There has to be a better way. As stated the Jegs fitting won't work with a 300tdi radiator and a siphon will only go down halfway. Installing a drain plug is a good idea for the next radiator purchase. I haven't look at it yet but a threaded fitting attached to a hose should work well on the block drain plug. That way ypu just undo the drain bolt, attach the hose which then goes into an appropriate container.
Old April 17th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Grover
Mike

Registry
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
I'm not too concerned with splashing my oil filter. Getting drenched, drinking coolant and dumping it all over the driveway just seem idiotic though. The steering guard doesn't make it any easier. There has to be a better way. As stated the Jegs fitting won't work with a 300tdi radiator and a siphon will only go down halfway. Installing a drain plug is a good idea for the next radiator purchase. I haven't look at it yet but a threaded fitting attached to a hose should work well on the block drain plug. That way ypu just undo the drain bolt, attach the hose which then goes into an appropriate container.
Why wouldn't the hose drain work on a 300tdi rad?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 17th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

If you look inside the 300tdi radiator you'll see that you can't very far down with a hose. In a V8 radiator you can get the hose all the way down to the bottom (from what I have been told).
Old April 17th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Grover
Mike

Registry
hmmm...I'd have to see pix...

Old November 4th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Beaver87
Alistair Davidson
Ex MOD '86 90 12j

Looking for coolant advice.
I just drained,flushed and refilled using O'reillys 50/50 pre-diluted 'all makes' antifreeze.
Seemed to be less green and more diluted than the stuff that came out when i drained it. I have not had the truck long and dont know when the coolant was last done.
I looked at the haynes manual and just stipulates ethylene glycol. Do you guys think the o'reilys 50/50 is ok for the 2.5NA engine block???

Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
drain, radiator