Defender Source Forum banner

Question for other Mantec spare carrier owners...

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  cascade90 
#1 ·
Hi all, just finished installing the carrier and everything appears to be bolted on correctly.
Here is question for other owners...is it normal that it now takes a little more force to open & close the door with the carrier (spare not yet on the carrier). For example, I'm able to keep the door open mid-way, and when I open the door, it won't just swing wide open like before.
Would another Mantec spare carrier owner confirm this is normal?

The range of door motion feels smooth, just takes more effort than before.

Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
I hope that's normal, because mine does the same thing. It isn't a lot of resistance, but it's enough to make the door motion feel more solid and for the door to stay in position instead of just swinging wide open or shutting. I personally like the added resistance and the way the door feels. You can tell the tire carrier is taking weight and reinforcing the door hinges.

#3 ·
I've had mine on for about 20 yrs and it's real easy to move. If your truck is leaves left to right chk that that top is the same. Your checking for bind. I've always used wheel bearing grease on the upper and lower bushings and on the piston. Also check the piston mounting nut by removing the tire so yo can see any movement of that nut. Loosen first. If it does want to go up or down when you open. Then you do have bind and is out of alignment that's all I got.

#5 ·
Thanks, all.
The piston mounting nut (loosened) doesn't really move up or down at range of motion of the arm - piston nut just sits in the middle of the slot/cut out. I am beginning to think it's due to the piston... b/c even with the piston nut loose, the door feels needing more force to open/close.
I will remove the door nut and see if the arm swing is easily or hard by itself... b/c when the brackets were finger tight, the arm swings freely and easy - i push it lightly and it'll swing all the way open.

#7 ·
One last question.
How tight should I tighten the nut for the piston and the swing arm?
Instructions say pinch the rubber washer, but should I crank down on it, or only tight enough to allow some movement between the piston and swing arm?
I just realized I need to allow weight of the wheel on the swing arm and not necessarily on the door.
Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.