Puma front w/1985 doors? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old November 13th, 2015, 03:45 PM
TELOS
Nate
LHD 110 SW - 300Tdi

Puma front w/1985 doors?

I am putting together a restoration plan and sourcing parts, and have run into a bit of a dilemma. The 110 is a 1985 so it has roll-up windows and the older style handles - sort of the best of both worlds for the doors, in my opinion.

The hood has some checker plating and spare tire mount, all of which I want to remove. The grill is also showing a lot of wear and sagging, so I am leaning towards a new hood and grill and really love the Puma front end.

The problem is the doors. Would it look silly to have a Puma hood and grill, but keep the original 1985 doors on it? The whole vehicle will be stripped and painted, so switching to push-button doors wouldn't be the end of the world... It's just an added cost. I don't want a Frankenstein build, but the 1985 doors are actually pretty cool.

Recommendations? What would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 13th, 2015, 03:50 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I don't think a Puma hood looks good on anything that doesn't need the extra space, but the doors will look good no matter what you do. I'm building up a set of split doors for my 2006.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 13th, 2015, 04:03 PM
TELOS
Nate
LHD 110 SW - 300Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I don't think a Puma hood looks good on anything that doesn't need the extra space, but the doors will look good no matter what you do. I'm building up a set of split doors for my 2006.
That's a good way of putting it -- thank you! I'm tying to find the line between making it unique and meaningful to myself while avoiding making an ugly Frankenstein bastard. I really love the look of the Puma hood but you're right... It is a little silly if it's just a 300Tdi underneath which fits perfectly well under the original hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2015, 05:26 PM
Tbaumer
Ted Baumer
1986 LHD 110

Registry
Good Timing on a question I have been considering also.
I just got an unmolested 110 that I am hesitant to change from it's original look.
It seems odd that the exterior handles are old style (which I think are great), but the interior handle is the forward pull style with roll up windows (which is convenient).
The old style hood pools water on it while driving in the rain and parked uphill and I like the puma hood, but it is a tough call to start changing the original look.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects