Defender Source Forum banner

Puma 3rd Row Seat Install

33K views 61 replies 15 participants last post by  markharmison3 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I am trying to figure out the dimensions for the cutout. I like how River Mike's pieces go all the way to the floor and to the side. I would think that would give the sheet metal the strength it needs for the seats.

If anyone has the measurements of the Puma tub I would great appreciate it.

And if anyone has a glue that would help bond the patch into the tub (then use pop rivets) please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

#5 ·
Side view of the patch I want to make. I would be nicer to form in one piece but my break skills aren't that great and I think having the one flat section double thick would help the strength of it.

I have the 2 measurements based on the brackets of the seat but I could be off on them. If anyone could confirm I would appreciate it.

#62 ·
Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the step in the replacement panel for the cutaway?
Side view of the patch I want to make. I would be nicer to form in one piece but my break skills aren't that great and I think having the one flat section double thick would help the strength of it.

I have the 2 measurements based on the brackets of the seat but I could be off on them. If anyone could confirm I would appreciate it.

View attachment 148741
Hey don- What is the angle of the sloped 2.5" part? 45deg? I want to fab these for my project. Also whats the overall length?

#7 ·
Don, Sorry for the bad pics, terrible lighting in my storage room. Measurements are off a 110 Puma SW tub. Let me know if you need closeups or clarity on anything.
Hi - sorry I totally missed this post!

Thank you very much for the measurements. I am going to start cutting my tub this week and will post of the progress. Need to get a sheet of aluminum tomorrow.

#8 ·
Don,

This is on my list once I am done with my middle row install. I would suggest installing a steel plate under the aluminum and securing it to the frame as well as getting the under tub to frame connectors for the seat-belt attachment.

Here are a few pictures I collected that May help. If I can find the dimensions and angles for the adapter plate, I will post them.

Attachments

#9 ·
I found some good info here:
DEFENDER2.NET - View topic - fitting some puma seats in the rear of the td5 90

And here is a link to a company in the UK who makes the aluminum arch pieces.
CSK Automotive - Puma Rear Seat Conversion

I think the smaller Aluminum top panel with proper steel under support is a better option than just the larger aluminum panel. Less aluminum fabrication and the steel is the proper frame fitment for securing the seats. I figure they call them accidents, not planneds, so if I am ever going to let someone sit in the seats, they may as well be properly secured. Just my $0.02

#10 ·
Thanks Kraig - the more I mentally think it out I have to agree that some steel support will be worth it. I'll take a look at it from underneath to see what can work. I can weld some nuts to the plate to make install easier as well.

#12 ·
I've been working on a monster panel to cover the tub and have the correct bends for the Puma seats.

A bunch of bends and butt welds to create 2 pieces - one 64" and the other about 70" long. My break wasn't bending the 32" long 0.060 stock so hence all the welds.

Anyway pic of where I am at now.

#15 ·
Don, Looks GREAT! Can you figure out an easier and faster way to do this please? With all this fab and welding work, you are going to have to charge me WAY too much to build my set. :grin
This is one is a tandem seat setup so it's double length. I was actually looking at bigger breaks and bigger tables on Craigslist last night to see if I could make the job easier for the next side.

I feel like my aluminum welding has gotten better tho :D

#19 ·
Hey Don, do you have a picture of the cut out that you did on the part facing the front of the vehicle? The one that eventually has a bracket attached and the 2nd row rests on. I'm am about to start this process and I have found your thread very helpful. Is anyone in the US making these pieces. I don't have access to any of the fabrication stuff to make this stuff, although I think it would be fun. Thanks

#30 ·
Got one of the seats in this morning:

I am going to get a 2" piece of 1/4" flat bar and use that behind the bolts that hold the bracket on the bend.

This has been a big project - not even half way thru and still a lot more to do. The seats are very nice and I love the locking mechanism.

#31 ·
A couple of a reinforcement bracket I made. I used 1/2" flat bar and welded M6 nuts.

I also welded some smaller 1/2" flat that will tie into where the bolts of the lower legs of the seats come out. Another part will attached to the top section of the tub and I'll bolt they that as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.