Problem greasing the front prop shaft - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 12th, 2016, 10:41 PM
'97 D90 SW NAS
Problem greasing the front prop shaft

Can someone give guidance to 2 issues when trying to grease the front prop shaft:

1) there isn't enough room for me to put the grease gun onto the nipple at the u-joint. Do I need to jack up the front of the truck?

2) the nipple on the prop shaft appears to be jammed. I am unable to squeeze the trigger on the grease gun...

Any help/suggestions?

Old September 12th, 2016, 11:19 PM
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top
Put tcase and truck in neutral and roll it forward a few inches for clearance. Use a 6 or 8mm socket to remove the nipple and clean it out.

Grease away!

Old September 12th, 2016, 11:21 PM
Viton Johnnson
Smart 4x4
Lift up (jack) 1 front wheel & engage the tranny in Neutral & apply the Emergency brake, this will allow you to turn the prop shaft by turning the tire that is slightly lifted and position the zirk in the best sport to get the grease gun on it. The zirk fittings do freeze up, I usually us something small to push the little ball bearing in the center of the zirk in and out a bit .... maybe a large paper clip end ? Remember to grease the slip joint zirk too.
For best results and U-joint longevity do this every 5,000 miles.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects