Powder Coating a 110 Cage - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old July 2nd, 2009, 01:41 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Powder Coating a 110 Cage

Six weeks ago I set off to have my cage and basket powder coated black. Figured I would give a slight write up for everyone who is planning to go down this road. First thing I did was pull the cage and basket. I did this alone and it was shockingly not that hard. A couple of cumbersome parts but totally doable. I packed it all up in a pick up truck and brought it to a powder coater. I informed them of the type of coating that Land Rover used and that it would need to be chemically stripped.

PC stripped the cage but felt the basket didn't have the same type of coating so he chose to sand blast the basket and ladder. Of course the powder coat wouldn't stick to the basket and ladder because it wasn't chemically stripped. After that little issue, the Powder Coater chemically stripped the basket and ladder and powder coated everything. It all looked great but as soon as I tried to install it the coating flaked off. Sent it all back to the powder coater to see what was wrong. He felt it was a curing problem so they redid it all and sent it back to me. I dropped a piece and all the coating came off again. Powder Coater than relized that the issue lied with chemical residue from the stripping. So final process if anyone does do it that needs to be done:
  • Chemical Strip all pieces
  • Sand blast after that
  • Zinc Prime
  • Coat Color of choice. I was hoping for hot pink but they were out.
Last night I started the install at 5PM and finished at midnight. May possibly have been one of the biggest pain in the asses ever.
Install instructions:
1. Install section on the roof that bolts into the interior cage
2. Install the pieces that go up the windshield first and bolt them to the roof piece
3. Install front cross bars.
4. Install rear pieces as you did the front.
5. Keep it all loose until you get it all together then go back and tighten it all up.

Things I noticed. You need rachet straps to compress parts of the cage (especially the pieces that go up the windshield)

Final note - I bought the rubber seals that come on a 90 for the feet of my cage but as I did the install they spread out so much that I really felt they looked like garbage so I took them off and kept the original look. If anyone has ideas on how to get these to look better let me know and I will reinstall.

Thanks everyone who helped with my questions or part requests along the way.

If anyone has any questions let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3681389887_6f43dc1303_o.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	20377  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:28 PM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

great write-up Barry,

I was going to due this down the road on the ST, great to know the correct process & rebuild order.

BTW. it looks great with the cage & basket in black.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:45 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

On the 90 it should be much easier since you really only have the front piece to coat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:10 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Barry,

What happened to your frisbee (the white rear tire cover)?
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:35 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I have it. After I put the Mantec on I was playing around with the color of the spare to see if I wanted to powder coat the wheels black. Turns out I do. Does my truck look naked without it?
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:43 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

FWIW I have done a few NAS cages and they were all sand blasted to white metal and powdercoated. It has been years and none of them have any issues

As far as I can tell the NAS cage seems to be powdercoating no plastic
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:50 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I was told by people on the boards that the coating had to be chemically stripped or burned off as it isnt like a normal powder coat and is more of a plastic coat.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:51 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
At least on my 94 D90 I can tell you the rear light bar is that plastic coating, and the rear tire carrier and associated bracketry was just paint or powdercoat like the rest of the cage (but not plastic coated).
Old July 3rd, 2009, 06:44 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I like the frisbees is all, but if you were missing yours I would have sent you one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
110, cage