Six weeks ago I set off to have my cage and basket powder coated black. Figured I would give a slight write up for everyone who is planning to go down this road. First thing I did was pull the cage and basket. I did this alone and it was shockingly not that hard. A couple of cumbersome parts but totally doable. I packed it all up in a pick up truck and brought it to a powder coater. I informed them of the type of coating that Land Rover used and that it would need to be chemically stripped.
PC stripped the cage but felt the basket didn't have the same type of coating so he chose to sand blast the basket and ladder. Of course the powder coat wouldn't stick to the basket and ladder because it wasn't chemically stripped. After that little issue, the Powder Coater chemically stripped the basket and ladder and powder coated everything. It all looked great but as soon as I tried to install it the coating flaked off. Sent it all back to the powder coater to see what was wrong. He felt it was a curing problem so they redid it all and sent it back to me. I dropped a piece and all the coating came off again. Powder Coater than relized that the issue lied with chemical residue from the stripping. So final process if anyone does do it that needs to be done:
- Chemical Strip all pieces
- Sand blast after that
- Zinc Prime
- Coat Color of choice. I was hoping for hot pink but they were out.
Last night I started the install at 5PM and finished at midnight. May possibly have been one of the biggest pain in the asses ever.
1. Install section on the roof that bolts into the interior cage
2. Install the pieces that go up the windshield first and bolt them to the roof piece
3. Install front cross bars.
4. Install rear pieces as you did the front.
5. Keep it all loose until you get it all together then go back and tighten it all up.
Things I noticed. You need rachet straps to compress parts of the cage (especially the pieces that go up the windshield)
Final note - I bought the rubber seals that come on a 90 for the feet of my cage but as I did the install they spread out so much that I really felt they looked like garbage so I took them off and kept the original look. If anyone has ideas on how to get these to look better let me know and I will reinstall.
Thanks everyone who helped with my questions or part requests along the way.
If anyone has any questions let me know.