ODB Dashboard Tool With the iPad/iPhone - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old January 31st, 2014, 10:24 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
ODB Dashboard Tool With the iPad/iPhone

I had to delay my trip down to the mine in Mexico, since they are re-paving the ramp at Hermosillo. They finish tomorrow, but its snowing here, so no flying. Finished changing fluids, greasing stuff and replacing little annoying bits around the new toy. Time to play with cleaner stuff. I had gotten this new scan tool device for my iPad/iPhone. I had been using a wired one (which I still have, app for it is free, PM me if you want it), but wanted to try out this wifi version. You can get a generic one like this off ebay for under $50. There are a couple of apps that will interface with it. I wanted to try OBD Fusion. Besides doing all the code troubleshooting and resetting of lights & codes it lows you to re-display chosen PIDís as dashboard items in gauge form. So you can now have all the gauges you want, any color or configuration without all the wiring, sensor fitting and hole drilling. The NAS 97 has a lot of information coming out of that plug, more than you conceivably could want to stare at..

The app allows for several pages with different dashboards. It also lets you graph different functions together along time so you can compare performance parameters side by side. The other really interesting tool is it will take your gas milage and plot it on a map in color, red to green, depending on how much dino juice you burn on that segment. I had to make that adaptor cable to allow the sender to reside out of the way of the compartment cover.

This kind of makes dedicated code scanners go the way of pagers.

The display enlarges in portrait mode.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2014, 03:09 PM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
That's fantastic! Do you know if that will only work with the ECU on the '97? I have a '94 NAS D90 and don't have the dash space for all the things I'd like to monitor.
Old February 1st, 2014, 03:29 PM
D90_982
Chad
1994 ST #982 (SOLD)

This is sick.

Takes texting and driving to a whole new level.

I want my kids to drive stick so they don't txt while driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2014, 04:16 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I'm liking air gizmo iPad mounts designed for aircraft. Plenty of designs for all needs http://www.airgizmos.com/iPad-Panel-Mount_p_47.html

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 1st, 2014, 04:37 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Well they started putting, or should I say mandating OBDII on cars 96 and newer. Since no 96 Defenders in the US, there is only the 97 with the OBDII plug. That being said, there 94 & 95 had the GEMS engine management system, which also had a plug to be read by Rover Testbook. I have heard, and one would have to be electronically savvy, that GEMS can be read by an OBDII device, with an adaptor plug (one that has the GEMS plug on one end and an OBDII plug on the other). Now I do not know if the serial signal levels are the same voltage and need to be changed by a MAX232 chip or not, never looked into it much (some Serial devices use 3.3 V some 5 V TTL and RS232 12V (OBDII)).

As for mounts, I just make my own. There is something amiss for my selected application in nearly each and every mount I see (besides the whoever wanting a kings ransom for some poorly designed POS). I have made all my own in my Cessna 185, then again I did design and have my panel CNC cut to accommodate the new electronic instruments. I use a complex CAD program, called scissorCAD, where I cut out life size instruments and move them around until I get something that works. The mount shown is just my fist attempt without modifying anything. I used the iPad holder from my aircraft, coupled to a Kydex sheet, foam taped to the center panel. I'm not sure I like the location, ergo, the foam tape mounting.

I start like this:

Ends up like this:
Old February 1st, 2014, 04:44 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpilot View Post
Well they started putting, or should I say mandating OBDII on cars 96 and newer. Since no 96 Defenders in the US, there is only the 97 with the OBDII plug. That being said, there 94 & 95 had the GEMS engine management system, which also had a plug to be read by Rover Testbook. I have heard, and one would have to be electronically savvy, that GEMS can be read by an OBDII device, with an adaptor plug (one that has the GEMS plug on one end and an OBDII plug on the other). Now I do not know if the serial signal levels are the same voltage and need to be changed by a MAX232 chip or not, never looked into it much (some Serial devices use 3.3 V some 5 V TTL and RS232 12V (OBDII)).
I believe 94/95 obd I vehicles use 14CUX vice GEMS which came with the transition to obd II (& with that coil vice dizzy, etc).
R-
Ray
Old February 1st, 2014, 04:47 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Could be, as I said didn't look into it much. I just recall some folks had hacked it with the earlier Disco I's. I never paid much attention as my wife's Disco was a 97 as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
dash, dashboard, ipad