Not so small project - 6BT and other mods - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old May 11th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Smile

COOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16kpsi View Post
This is the large "Queen" snake from the Academy not-Award winning film Anaconda. I was a design engineer for the effects company that did this machine
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2011, 06:12 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

That snake is pretty much the coolest thing ever. I'm thinking we've all figuerd out you can handle this without the armchair quarterbacking, but I'd love to see how you are doing with the swap. I'm about to get back into mine.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old June 22nd, 2011, 07:41 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson
1986 D110 ex-200tdi to be 6BT

'swap'. Yeah. Well at this point I'm down to a gas tank (soon to come out) and a pair of axles...which will be off at some point too.

I was just in the UK, so picked up a 1:1.003 LT230 gear set from Ashcroft - something that had been nagging at me. So no longer worried about rpm's and drivability - at least in that area. While I have the t-case apart, it's been much easier to see how long the adapter from the NV needs to be to clear the 5th gear casing - 3" will do it. Also easier to measure up and model the input face on the LT so I can draw up my adapter plate. So FINALLY I can get on with my adapter, NV main shaft mods, and input gear mods. I'm going to build three sets of adapters. One of the input gears will be my old 1:1.2 gear and the other two will be for 1:1.003 gear. Unfortunately, to preserve the PTO dog teeth on the input gear, the splining will have to done by sinker/ram EDM. Not sure why I want to keep my PTO - maybe just because I have one. It means I'll have to modify the middle cross member - but I need to make it removable anyway as the drive train (clutch, t-case) is too long to service with it in place.

still tidying up the bulkhead with sound dampening (someone mentioned it would be a good idea). I don't want to talk about the heated windscreen.

I'd be making a little more progress if the kitchen-remodel-from-hell wasn't also part of my life. Hammered Copper counter tops? Really Honey? from Montana? How many weeks??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:17 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

What spline are you punching out again? I would be in for a GM 32 spline pattern. I can supply the gear. No need for the adapter plate but the gear would be really useful for me.

I know the feeling. My NV4500 swap started out simple. I now have a CNC plasma cut chassis in pieces in the shop.
Old June 27th, 2011, 01:02 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson

JL - yes, the 32 tooth, 1.375" OD GM spline. I'll be putting it into the second bearing race but not through to the smaller neck that holds the PTO dog tooth. I have the male on that long tail variant output shaft as a master, so the broacher can make sure it's right. I'd be happy to include yours - I plan on getting to mine in the next month. PM or email me
Old June 26th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Vader
Ryan
98 D1, 90RRC, 88RRC

If anyone is interested I have the nv4500 to the lt230 adapter and 2wd nv4500hd dodge main shaft thats needed for this conversion. If anyone is interested just send me a text to 858-357-1465

Cheers!
Ryan
Old June 26th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

So, heres a question: Why not use a Toyota split case from a 60 series? Adapters are readily available to go NV4500 to the case from AA.
Old June 26th, 2013, 03:36 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

The split case is way weaker than an LT230...
Old June 27th, 2013, 12:59 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
So, heres a question: Why not use a Toyota split case from a 60 series? Adapters are readily available to go NV4500 to the case from AA.
Additionally:
The LT230 has a lower low ratio stock.
The length of adaption is less. Our adapter is only 2 3/8" long (vs. AA's 6+") as it uses a re-splined transmission output shaft vs. a spud adapter. This drive train is long and has me hard up against my middle cross-member as is.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 04:45 PM
WestCoastRover
Jeff
2000 TD5

Registry
Cool

Old thread but very curious if it turned out a success! Any pictures? And final tips for someone that is planning to tackle the same project?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
mod